Viking Pre-Cruise Tuscany Tour

holech

We booked the 3 day Tuscany tour before the ship sails from Civitavecchia. It says we stay in a villa. Has anyone done this? I assume the villas are high end with rooms with en suite bathrooms. Do the rooms have toiletries and a hair dryer?

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, holech said:

We booked the 3 day Tuscany tour before the ship sails from Civitavecchia. It says we stay in a villa. Has anyone done this? I assume the villas are high end with rooms with en suite bathrooms. Do the rooms have toiletries and a hair dryer?

Thanks.

We have done this extension and enjoyed it immensely. The  villa was high up in the Tuscany hills and was originally built in the 15th century. It had been updated where appropriate and our room did have an en suite bathroom. All the meals were fantastic and leaned towards traditional rustic Tuscan fare. If by "high end" you mean something like 5 star posh resort... maybe not a fit. 

Hi holech, we are also booked for a pre-extension in Tuscany. Here is a cut and paste from the itinerary on my MVJ page. Check your MVJ page and do a search for your Villa (may be the same one). This one looks really nice. It advertises bathrooms in every room, I don't see anything about toiletries but we always bring our own so it isn't something I looked too hard for. 

https://www.villailpoggiale.it/it

Hotels
Villa il Poggiale

Villa il Poggiale is located in the heart of Tuscany, near San Casciano in Val di Pesa. Dating back to 1408, this historic, Renaissance villa features both unique dishes and traditional Tuscan specialties at its elegant restaurant; a wellness center; an outdoor pool; and fragrant gardens. Guest rooms have a coffee/tea kettle, a TV, Wi-Fi and a phone.

I asked the historian of our team and she confirmed that this is the place. 🙂

However neither of us can recall provided toiletries. This not to say that there were none.

We were there in March and it was still chilly to cold. In fact it showed the last night there and continued snowing as we left for Civitavecchia. Rome had ground to a halt that week due to unexpected snow. We took it in as a added treat. Snow in Tuscany. 

Edited by Haqdeluxe

We did this extension and stayed at Villa Poggiale.  It was lovely and although it was perhaps a little bit rustic but we LOVED it!  All of the rooms are different but all have en suite bathrooms and there were toiletries provided.  The food was delicious ... not fancy but fresh, locally sourced, and homemade.  It is still one of our favorite extensions and to be honest if the opportunity came up we would likely book it again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

We did this extension and stayed at Villa Poggiale.  It was lovely and although it was perhaps a little bit rustic but we LOVED it!  All of the rooms are different but all have en suite bathrooms and there were toiletries provided.  The food was delicious ... not fancy but fresh, locally sourced, and homemade.  It is still one of our favorite extensions and to be honest if the opportunity came up we would likely book it again!

I totally agree with every detail described here. Our room had a private patio! Just walking to our room from the lobby through the old hallways was a treat.

image.thumb.jpeg.16591d3f77af7488db0529fef9a119ca.jpeg

17 hours ago, holech said:

Thanks.

If it has a wellness center as another poster mentioned, it will have toiletries. With the expensive extensions Viking does, I doubt accommodations will be on the order of, say, a hostel in Ushuaia. 😄