How Does the Galley work?

Cruisegoer

So I understand during covid restrictions everything had to be done while you are seated at a table but I'm wondering if now that many rules have relaxed if passengers now order at the various food counters and then a server brings your food? Are servers gone? Is it just cafeteria style now?

Can any recents enlighten me? Thank you!

1 hour ago, scaught said:

Was on in June. You still sit at a table and get your order taken. I don't think that's a covid thing, I think it's the virgin way. 

Is there a menu to select from? Assuming you walk around seeing what each station is making, how are you expected to remember the various items you may want?

29 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

Is there a menu to select from? Assuming you walk around seeing what each station is making, how are you expected to remember the various items you may want?

Yep. There's QR codes at the table you can scan, and the menu shows what's available at all the different spots. I think there's a paper menu as well if you want. 

There was one area that was a walk up that I remember that had cut up fruit and dessert items? 

I'm on the ship now, and can second everything scaught said.  Still a sit down experience; servicers come around and take your order, and most servicers will offer you a paper menu (or you can ask.)  The Sweet Spot is the dessert station that you walk up and order from -- they offer a specialty dessert each day along with 5 or so standard ones, plus fruit.  If you have any gluten issues, I noticed at least 2 gluten free options each day! I'm not sure about drinks as I've always get my own, same for salads at the Daily Mix.

You can order from the stations also, but the servicers are really helpful (suggesting items, checking for food allergies, updating you on closed stations/sold out items, telling you how things work, etc.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there is ever any intention to make it a cafeteria....it is much more upscale.  You can go to the counter and indicate the breads or desserts you want, but all the other items are from the menu and made to order for you.  Of course there are the "Grab and Go" boxes that you can take anywhere you wish.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, Cruisegoer said:

So I understand during covid restrictions everything had to be done while you are seated at a table but I'm wondering if now that many rules have relaxed if passengers now order at the various food counters and then a server brings your food? Are servers gone? Is it just cafeteria style now?

Can any recents enlighten me? Thank you!

When The Galley is slow, you can walk up to any food station, place your order and take your food.

When The Galley is busy, they want you to go to a table, use the QR codes on the table and place an order with a server, restaurant style. Each table in The Galley is numbered so they know where to find you. 

I will say in our one experience with a busy Galley on the morning of our Puerto Plata visit, the 'restaurant style' approach broke down. Servers running around, ignoring our table for a good 5 minutes or so. The chef at "Let's Taco About It" noticed we were getting ignored and walked over to take our order himself. At that point, a server noticed the chef with us and finally stopped to take our orders. 

In the future I hope VV allows guests to place any order at any food station ourselves and if they want the servers to bring the food to us, that'll be fine.