An Encore encore! Live from the Encore August 28-September 4

YVRteacher

4 minutes ago, Shirt-man said:

Great review. Thanks for posting the Daily as we sail on 9/11.  Hope many people on board?

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Thank you.  I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I am! There are 2945 passengers on this sailing and very few children.  It’s so much better than the full ship including 800 kids that we experienced last month.

14 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I love seeing the people who are in Alaska for the first time taking in the scenery. They sit as close to the windows as they can, ooh-ing and ah-ing at the beautiful scenery while eating paninis and making their way through the drink menu.

I've been to AK on cruises many times, but that is exactly what I do!  Thanks again for the great review.

• Like 4

Today after his shift we blew bubbles off the cabin balcony.  Yes I packed bubble wands.  Bubbles in cold weather are magical.  Bubbles make everything fun! 

Even Bartender Extraordinaire enjoyed the bubbles even though he mocked me when I told him bubbles would be involved on this trip. 

That sounds great!  Reminds me of a thread here not too long ago where an innocent poster was beat to hades for asking about packing bubbles.  Ironic that a crew member would join in the innocent fun.😎

When I handed in my form at Guest Services today the lovely lady behind the counter said it was the first perfectly completed form she’d ever had and that she would give me a gold star.

🤣We're among the guilty.  They give you an instruction sheet with the form that clearly tells you how to avoid the common errors.  I think I was sitting on it or something while DW filled out the form.  She got an undeserved talking to at the desk and was sent to the remedial form (re)completion area to try again.  She felt shame and then they let her go (that's borrowed from a movie).

The Encore has phenomenal live music.  

Yep.  I see three great Guns and Rojas sets on your latest daily.  Those should be fantastic.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

Day 4

Icy Strait Point

It’s a keep the balcony doors open and let the sunshine in morning! We had a gorgeous sail-in to Icy Strait Point.  There is low laying cloud over the land that slightly obscures Mount Hoonah but the sun will take care of that soon enough.  Today is definitely shorts weather.

I am loving this room service life and have learned to write “please include spoons” when I order yoghurt.

Bartender Extraordinaire had most of the day off today so we watched a movie while people went ashore to enjoy whale watching, zip lining and bear walks.  

This afternoon I exercised and just enjoyed being on board the ship.

For dinner Bartender Extraordinaire and I went to Onda.  I had permission from management to use my latitudes coupon for dinner at Cagney’s/Le Bistro at Onda instead.  Photos and menus are posted below.  The whole meal was fabulous and I especially loved the Mezzelune.  

After dinner I put on my wooly toque and jacket and headed off the ship.  We are docked at Icy Strait Point from 8am-11pm.  There are 4 other ships here today so this is the busiest I have ever seen Icy Strait Point.  Because I booked this trip last minute and have been here at least 10 times before, I did not book a shore excursion.  When I went ashore, I noticed this:

27C41A90-914A-4D3F-AA2E-1B2E6B89389F.thumb.jpeg.90c240be60cd0d8c061ee43a75717967.jpeg

I don’t know what time today the excursions reached capacity but I do know that I made my own excursion.  Here is the description in the brochure in my head:

Enjoy a photo safari in this remote part of Alaska.  While on your journey, explore the tidal zones at low tide, the forest at dusk and the historic cannery turned tourist mecca.   With your iPhone, capture the setting sun as it peeks over the mountains, seek out the peek-a-boo perspectives through holes in logs while in sight of your gorgeous cruise ship.  Find the whale statue beloved by tourists from around the world.  Change your view and get up high with a free ride on the Transporter gondola where you will see well-fed deer grazing on the succulent grasses.  After your photo safari join the NCL crew members sitting around the campfire taking advantage of the free wifi.  To end your evening, scamper across the rocks at low tide so you can hear the massive yet gentle humpback whales exhaling as darkness falls.  Practice the rule of thirds taking pictures of the epic scenery surrounding Icy Strait Point. You won’t regret this gorgeous opportunity to explore one of the most beautiful places in Alaska.

I’m really loving the evening port walks on this cruise.  I can’t do this when I travel with my dad because he thinks old people should go to bed early.

Back on board, the ship has such a fun atmosphere.  Fabulous music and entertainment everywhere.  People are out and about tonight enjoying all the ship has to offer.  I went to the comedy show in the Social, loved Guns and Rojas in the atrium, met with George to book some Cruise Next deposits, then the highlight of the day: Kinky Boots!!!  I sat right up front and just grinned the whole time.  This Broadway-loving girl thrives on live musicals, especially one where the message is to accept people as they are.  I told Bartender Extraordinaire this last night and he laughed at me!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

For ChiefMate, who doesn’t care about the Encore chandelier just as much as I don’t care about the Encore chandelier:

182EC759-2FE5-462B-B10E-7E988C7D4978.jpeg

Absolutely breathtaking!!!  I am always in seventh heaven when I'm looking at that work of art.  Why?  Because I know nothing about art (and I can prove it) but ain't nothin' finer than being on the Encore.  The rest is details.... 😎

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 12:57 AM, YVRteacher said:

Day 3

Day 3 Juneau

We must have made excellent time last night as the waters were calm and the sky was clear.  I woke up at 4:00am (definitely not on purpose) went out on the balcony and inhaled the darkness, the salt air and the immense calm.

We arrived in Juneau at 1:00pm although our  scheduled arrival was 3:00pm. We turtle-crawled up the channel, past the beaches which are covered by the high tide and peeked into the dreamy houses overlooking the harbour.  The ocean is green but not clear as there is so much sediment from the glaciers.  Overflowing waterfalls topple down the mountainsides lining the channel.  I love seeing the people who are in Alaska for the first time taking in the scenery. They sit as close to the windows as they can, ooh-ing and ah-ing at the beautiful scenery while eating paninis and making their way through the drink menu.

I had some time this afternoon so I played the Who or What game in the Atrium.  I had fun.  The passengers on this trip are fabulous.  Easy to talk with, polite, lots of laughter, very calm.  It feels very special.  I may not be describing this well, but as I walked up the stairs to breakfast (deck 9 up to deck 16!!) I just feel elated to be here.

I had more time so I went to the bar in the Observation Lounge.  They make terrific Pineapple Surplus drinks on this ship.  There’s turmeric in there so not only do you get a delicious libation, you also get  a healthy boost to your immune system.  It’s a win win.  The entertainment this afternoon involved me watching the oranges go around in a circle in the fresh squeezed orange juice machine.  Riveting!  Bartender Extraordinaire saw me watching and made me a glass and wow!  If I knew freshly squished orange juice tasted this good I wouldn’t have waited half a century to try it.  If you want to splurge on your next cruise, this is the way to do it.

It’s very hot on the ship in all the public areas today.  The advice for packing for Alaska is to dress in layers, but I thought that was more for outside than onboard.  I am wearing black tights with a sleeveless tunic and I got in the elevator with a teen decked out for a month observing penguin mating habits in Antarctica.  Another woman got on the same elevator and said, “it’s like two different seasons in here!”  

As we neared the dock in Juneau the weather flipped from reasonably nice to downright downpour.  The day looked so promising earlier and now it’s the kind of day where you want to hunker down with a cozy blanket, a fire and a whiskey.  I don’t have a blanket, I don’t have a fire but the whiskey will suffice!

I spent most of the afternoon at the Observation Lounge bar and have talked with many people today who could not get shore excursions through NCL as they are all sold out.  There are 7 ships in Juneau today and I was super excited to see the NCL Spirit today for the first time.  Did you know NCL just spent 100 million refurbishing her?  They have 100 million to spend yet I didn’t get a pen in my cabin.  Something is wrong here. (I needed a pen to order room service breakfast so I “borrowed” one from the room steward’s cart.)

Full disclosure here: I am on board as the girlfriend of Bartender Extraordinaire.  Yes, I paid my own fare.  We both had to fill out paperwork last week before I boarded and he has to keep a copy of this on him at all times.  We also had to book our meals together through the Beverage Manager, Mark, who has been so kind and supportive to both of us this week.  Bartender Extraordinaire has had reduced hours this week so we could spend time together.      Today after his shift we blew bubbles off the cabin balcony.  Yes I packed bubble wands.  Bubbles in cold weather are magical.  Bubbles make everything fun! 

Even Bartender Extraordinaire enjoyed the bubbles even though he mocked me when I told him bubbles would be involved on this trip. 

Tonight we had a wonderful meal at Ocean Blue.  Photos below.  The seafood is his, the vegetables are mine and we ordered dessert to go which the waiter offered to have sent back to the cabin.  No butler needed.  I asked for a half portion of the entree but they gave me the full order.  No one can eat that much cauliflower, even on cruciferous vegetable night.

Deepak sent me a plate of goodies today.

Everyone on board has to fill in and submit a Canada customs forms whether or not they are disembarking in Victoria.  When I handed in my form at Guest Services today the lovely lady behind the counter said it was the first perfectly completed form she’d ever had and that she would give me a gold star.  As a teacher and a perfectionist, this pretty much made my day.

After dinner Bartender Extraordinaire had to work so I took the shuttle into Juneau.  I think the shuttle driver was having a rough day because she vented for the whole ride.  She said she just had Covid and decided to work through it instead of isolating because someone gave her Covid who should have been isolating.  The shuttle ride was awkward and unpleasant and I couldn’t wait to get off the bus.  Then in Juneau I asked a woman in a store how she was doing and she almost cried while telling me how tired she was and how she needed to go to bed.  I am getting the impression that the seasonal workers here are overworked and extremely tired.  Several stores in Juneau that were open 4 weeks ago have now closed for the season even though there are still cruise ships arriving daily.  The Red Dog Saloon (go get a Duck Fart!) has a sign on the door saying they are short staffed but doing their best.

Has anyone seen the Neilly Rich Band?  Tonight they did two sets in the atrium.  It’s not the right venue but the music is foot-stomping, sing-alonging fun.  The first set was better than the second set because some guy near me farted in the second set and I almost threw up.  I think he ate too much at the Mexican themed lunch in the Garden Cafe today.  I always tell my students to go fart in the hallway but I guess this guy wasn’t fortunate to have such valuable life lessons passed on to him by a teacher who cares.  At the end of the Neilly Rich Band set, I felt like I’d just been to the best concert ever.  The Encore has phenomenal live music.  

Tomorrow there is a fat loss seminar.  I would attend but this would interfere with snack time.

Who are the current Bartenders in the Observation Lounge?

6 minutes ago, weltek said:

@YVRteacher Can you get a shot of the list of current officers? Either if you get a card listing them, or if you take a picture of the display board? Thanks! Glad to see Deepak is on board. He's one of my favorites. Hope he's still around there for my December cruise.

Deepak might not be onboard in December. He sent me an email that he will be on vacation when we do the October 23 Panama Canal cruise. So not really sure when his vacation starts and ends. I was hoping to meet him on our cruise.

1 hour ago, weltek said:

@YVRteacher Can you get a shot of the list of current officers? Either if you get a card listing them, or if you take a picture of the display board? Thanks! Glad to see Deepak is on board. He's one of my favorites. Hope he's still around there for my December cruise.

It’s in the Freestyle Daily I already posted.

Day 5

Day 5

Glacier Bay

Short version: 

We saw glaciers.  It was cold.  There was wind.  People shivered. It was beautiful.

Long version:

When Bartender Extraordinaire woke up this morning he looked out the balcony and said “the glacier is so dirty!” Some of you may remember that my dad said the same thing last month so this made me laugh!🤦🏻‍♀️

We saw shimmering blue glaciers calving into the icy green ocean.  I got to wear my cozy hand-knit toque and snuggly hoody while drinking at the pool bar.  It was so windy the bartenders were dancing to keep warm.  Bartender Extraordinaire made me a special drink involving a double shot of rum.

The crew are all bundled up too: most have a hoodie, a jacket and a hat.  What a glorious day for a glacier viewing!  Crisp air, light fog, a teeny bit of rain, stunning light on the ocean, jagged glacial peaks visible well back into the mountains.  We are so very close to the glaciers today as there is little ice in the ocean and visibility is excellent.  I think we went to either three or four glaciers today.  I lost track.  The captain did a 360 at each one.  Great work, Captain.

As we left Glacier Bay we saw a harem of male sea lions and many many whales.  As I write this I see 7 different shades of blue out the balcony window.

Today I asked about Ron Ron, the Haven bartender.  He had to go home to the Philippines due to a family emergency.  He was so sad to be missing his younger daughter’s first day of kindergarten and I do hope all will be well with him and his family.

George Kassis (Cruise Next Manager) sent me chocolate covered strawberries and wine yesterday so I ate them for first breakfast today.  Just the strawberries, not the wine.  I have a strong feeling no one cares that I had a veggie burger for lunch, but Bartender Extraordinaire said it looked so good he wanted one too so I made him one then he wanted another.  The food on the Encore is the best I’ve ever had on an NCL ship.  This does not mean the other ships aren’t good; I do love NCL’s food.  It’s just that the variety here suits my preferences and it’s so fresh and flavourful.  Like the entertainment at night, there is so much goodness from which to choose I just can’t do it all and try it all.

I’m so sad because now the ship is heading south which means I only have two more days to spend with Bartender Extraordinaire.  As part of the restart NCL paid for their crew to have What’s App and FB Messenger.  Crew have just been notified that NCL will no longer be paying for the phone and video calling part of What’s App, only texting.  This sucks.  People need to be able to talk to their friends and family and Girlfriend Extraordinaires.

Tonight is another jam-packed evening where the choices exceed the time.  I started in Q with an Old Fashioned made by the lovely Jennielyn and a set by the Neilly Rich Band. Love these guys! Wait, the first time I saw them it was 4 guys now it’s three men and a lady.  Q is the bbq joint on board and it feels like a cave.  All we need are the stalagmites and the spiders and we could go spelunking.

Jennielyn is the bartender on board that fills in for other bartenders when they get Covid.

Most of the crew boarded the Encore in February and are set to leave the ship in November so there will be a huge turnover for the winter sailings in the Caribbean.

After the Neilly Rich Band I went to the Cavern because Guns & Rohas had a one hit rock wonders show.  This is a terrific venue for music and I’m getting more comfortable as a solo traveller going to what I want and not worrying about being alone. Guns & Rojas are so great people are throwing money on stage.

The night gets better and better! The late night comedian, Scott Wyler, slayed his set tonight.  I was laughing the entire time.  There was a special event in the Observation Lounge where the Encore production cast members each sang a love song.  Some of my favourites from Choir of Man that I saw last month were belting out the tunes.  It was a small crowd (mostly Cruise Director’s staff and production members) but it was a great way to almost end the evening.  I say almost because the Neilly Rich Band extended their playing time for the Johnny Cash show and they brought down the atrium.  Do not miss them if they are ever on the same ship as you. The live music on this BC those has brought me so much joy.  I head back to the cabin each night feeling energized and exhilarated.

For a late night snack I had triangles: watermelon, pizza and a chocolate brownie wedge.  The actor/singer who plays Lola in Kinky Boots sat down next to me and I had a fan girl moment and told him how much I love him.  He did not reciprocate and tell me how much he loved my clapping and excellent manners as an audience member but he did smile and say thank you then he ate his tuna on a bun.

The seas have been so calm this cruise that for the first time ever I have not taken anti-seasick tablets or worn my acupressure bands since day one.  This is unusual for Alaska.

• Like 4