Tips for adjusting to time changes during flight TO > Athens

karscott

7 hours ago, Froufie said:

How can you even breathe in that thing?  LOLOL.  Would rather wear and eye mask perhaps?

See the guy next to him?  He lit up a cigarette after dinner.  When the Flight Attendant ran over he told her he needed it to go to sleep.  I imagine he is no longer welcome on British Airways.  lol

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Like this guy?  He stole my sister’s blanket while she went to the bathroom.  He is forever known as blanket-fort man.  Weirdo.  😂

Blanket-fort man is a bit extreme.  Weird also.  Hopefully he did not suffocate or otherwise deprived of oxygen under the blanked. 

Eye shades are usually good enough for me.  

All of Air Canada widebody's have mode lighting.  After the meal service they turn off the lights are slowly over several hours the colour of light and brightness will slowly change and become brighter close to when they do the breakfast service.

I think most airlines have the same feature on their newer aircraft.  

On 9/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Froufie said:

Also not a good plane sleeper - I convince myself I am resting with closed eyes!  LOL  I heard of this app called timeshifter which I am going to try prior to my upcoming international flight (I believe the first 'trip' is free on the app).  I understand it advises you on caffeine consumption/light/darkness etc.

Worth a try I think?  

https://www.pilotplans.com/blog/timeshifter-review

@FroufieWe did give Timeshifter a try and it was a game-changer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. The advice is solid and it customizes it to your specific flight times and locations. We followed it as closely as we could - it was a bit more difficult on the return trip since we had to wake earlier than it recommended, to be on a shuttle to the airport - but we both experienced very minimal jet lag overall. It's an excellent app. Hope your upcoming international flight goes well - safe travels!

Karen

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, karscott said:

@FroufieWe did give Timeshifter a try and it was a game-changer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. The advice is solid and it customizes it to your specific flight times and locations. We followed it as closely as we could - it was a bit more difficult on the return trip since we had to wake earlier than it recommended, to be on a shuttle to the airport - but we both experienced very minimal jet lag overall. It's an excellent app. Hope your upcoming international flight goes well - safe travels!

Karen

Wow - thanks for the 'endorsement' - will definitely be trying it out - I am flying out in a month - so when should I sign up/start?  I figure just a couple of weeks?  Cruising back to Miami so won't be using it on the return - but so glad it worked for you! 🙂

10 hours ago, Froufie said:

Wow - thanks for the 'endorsement' - will definitely be trying it out - I am flying out in a month - so when should I sign up/start?  I figure just a couple of weeks?  Cruising back to Miami so won't be using it on the return - but so glad it worked for you! 🙂

I think we signed up about a week before our trip to Europe. You input your regular sleep hours as well as flight numbers and it uses them to generate the details of the "time shift" to minimize jet lag. Ours started two days before the flight, suggesting when to use/avoid caffeine, get light, times to go to bed and wake up, etc. Then there was another set of recommendations starting two days before the return (which you won't need - lucky you!)

Karen

15 minutes ago, karscott said:

I think we signed up about a week before our trip to Europe. You input your regular sleep hours as well as flight numbers and it uses them to generate the details of the "time shift" to minimize jet lag. Ours started two days before the flight, suggesting when to use/avoid caffeine, get light, times to go to bed and wake up, etc. Then there was another set of recommendations starting two days before the return (which you won't need - lucky you!)

Karen

Thanks for the info - I will sign up in a couple of weeks.

AS for coming home - sounds lucky but still a slow way to get jet lag....each night on a crossing they add an hour - so yes it is great to get an extra hour every night - theoretically, but your body can't catch up that fast - so you are no longer hungry at 'dinner time' - but wake up at 4 am looking for something to eat!  ...and that happens each day - so you do have to somehow 'manage that (and keep some snacks in your cabin for those 'emergencies'?) LOL