Solo on Virgin - any experiences?

westcoasttech

A few months ago I read some general reviews of Virgin and they sounded quite interesting, but I didn’t take any action.  The recent announcement of loyalty level matching has now prompted me to put a hold on a sailing on Valiant Lady.  They also had a good price for solo travellers which tempted me to book.  I’m definitely not in their marketing department’s target demographic, (my age starts with a 5!), and a party every night is not my cup of tea, either!  But I do like a shiny, new ship and a sailing without kids sounds like heaven!  I guess I can always hang out on my balcony for a week!

I’ll do some more research tomorrow before I confirm the booking, but does anyone have any reports of sailing solo with Virgin?  With no traditional MDR dining hours I would presume I would probably be dining solo - I’m okay with that but it is nice to have company from time to time.

The one thing I didn’t really like about the booking process was not being able to pick a cabin location, other than picking cabin type.  Is there anywhere to see what cabins are available on any particular sailing?  Presuming you can request a cabin move over the phone to another cabin in the same class?  I actually don’t mind the location of my assigned cabin - Sea Terrace, towards the aft of the ship - but would like to see what else is available, if possible.

5 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

The one thing I didn’t really like about the booking process was not being able to pick a cabin location, other than picking cabin type.  Is there anywhere to see what cabins are available on any particular sailing?  Presuming you can request a cabin move over the phone to another cabin in the same class?  I actually don’t mind the location of my assigned cabin - Sea Terrace, towards the aft of the ship - but would like to see what else is available, if possible.

You can pick your cabin, you just can't do it online.  You have to call in.  

• Like 1

There are lots of quiet options and not just partying all the time so I'm sure you wouldn't be relegated to your terrace. We have been dining at Gunbae on embarkation day as you are sat with strangers at that location if your party is less than 6. A good way to meet some people early on. While we haven't done the grog walk ourselves yet, I imagine that would be a good way to start a solo cruise as well. 

I’ve cruised solo and it’s fine. You can dine alone but at Gunbae you are seated with strangers. At other restaurants, people sitting near you are friendly and may make conversation. If you meet people along the way I’m sure you can ask if you can join them for dinner. 

Thanks for the input everyone!  I’ve been reading and watching YouTube reviews and am excited about this cruise.  Sure there are a couple of things I think I’ll probably avoid in the entertainment lineup (there usually are on the “usual” cruise lines too), but overall the ship sounds amazing, with lots of “sit n’ chill” options available, and stunning food options!  My loyalty matching couldn’t have been easier and perks are showing up online, so I’m pretty much all set … now I just have to wait for Christmas week!

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 2:10 AM, westcoasttech said:

I’ll do some more research tomorrow before I confirm the booking, but does anyone have any reports of sailing solo with Virgin?  With no traditional MDR dining hours I would presume I would probably be dining solo - I’m okay with that but it is nice to have company from time to time.

As others have mentioned, Gunbae is a group table thing. 

I was on last week and solo (which I prefer), and my experience was:

Extra Virgin = I was at my own small table, close enough that I could have chatted with a nearby table, but not claustrophobically so. 

Pink Agave = this was long communal benches but with separate tables. I was very close to the parties next to me, and did end up chatting with one party about their desserts. 🙂

The Wake = they put me in a small rounded booth, pretty secluded from other diners. (I think the booth would have made a nice romantic table for two.)

Razzle Dazzle = I was at a long bench like Pink Agave, but I don't remember the tables being quite as close together.

Edited by VV2022

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EffortlessVoyages said:

Hey TA here, if you book through a TA they can choose a specific cabin at the time of booking.

MW

I recommend using a TA for many reasons (I'm not one). but anyone can choose their own cabin by calling VV rather than booking on line.