Some Preziosa cruises being moved to Virtuosa...

Stockjock

We have a sailing on Preziosa later this year.  I was just informed that it's been moved to Preziosa.

What's kind of a bummer is that I had booked an oceanview, but it was an aft cabin with a balcony.  Because the balcony is so small, they sell it as an oceanview, so it was a great value and I like aft cabins.  I hope that I get a decent assignment, as the cabin now shows as unassigned.

September 1, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your upcoming cruise vacation in Northern Europe.

We are contacting you with an update concerning your cruise which is scheduled to sail from Le Havre, France on 12/29/2022 aboard MSC Preziosa. This is to inform you that due to operational reasons, the MSC Virtuosa will replace the MSC Preziosa during Winter 2022-2023. As a result, your cruise will now be aboard the amazing MSC Virtuosa, with no changes to your departure date or cruise itinerary.

The MSC Virtuosa is one of our largest, newest and most innovative ships offering a variety of impressive guest facilities. It will now offer the planned seven-night cruise itinerary with calls at Hamburg, Germany; Zeebrugge, Belgium; Rotterdam, Netherlands; Le Havre, France, and Southampton, UK.  

If you will sail aboard MSC Virtuosa on 12/29/2022, no action is required on your part. We will automatically update your booking.

Your additional options:

1. If you choose not to sail on MSC Virtuosa, you can move your cruise to any alternative ship and sailing date currently open for sale. Change fees will be waived. Any payments already made towards your current cruise will be transferred to the new cruise. Please call your Travel Advisor before September 30, 2022 for assistance. If you booked directly with MSC Cruises, call us before September 30, 2022 at 866-420-3584 and reference your booking number. Our representatives will be happy to assist you. Please note, the prevailing rate of the new cruise will apply.
  2. Alternatively, if you prefer to cancel your reservation and request a refund in the amount paid to MSC, please call your Travel Advisor. Or, if you booked directly with MSC Cruises, call us at 866-420-3584 before September 30, 2022. Our representatives will be happy to assist you with the refund.

We are confident you will have an amazing cruise vacation on MSC Virtuosa, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!  

Sincerely,
MSC Cruises USA

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, kernow said:

There is already a thread about this here. Grandiosa cruises from next April onwards are also affected.

I saw that after I posted.  It hadn't been visible, but someone added a comment which bumped it up.

As per what I can understand on the Portuguese language blogs, the Preziosa was relocated to Brazil and the south American market where it is summer and they have lots of fans (why not to just move the Virtuosa? I believe that Brazil ports, especially main embarkation ones, don't really support anything larger than Fantasia class ships, even though they have some larger ones from time to time there. I went on the Magnifica, a far smaller ship and embarkation was such a chaos, even though MSC had no say on that chaos, simply the powers that be on there, mostly police officials, weren't on the mood to facilitate things whatsoever. Meanwhile; sad to see your aft cabin go... To compensate, you'll have a newer ship with more bells & whistles if that's your sort of thing at the price of an older bird one. Personally I'd to prefer the Fantasia class though. To each their own. Have a nice sailing!...

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

As per what I can understand on the Portuguese language blogs, the Preziosa was relocated to Brazil and the south American market where it is summer and they have lots of fans (why not to just move the Virtuosa? I believe that Brazil ports, especially main embarkation ones, don't really support anything larger than Fantasia class ships, even though they have some larger ones from time to time there. I went on the Magnifica, a far smaller ship and embarkation was such a chaos, even though MSC had no say on that chaos, simply the powers that be on there, mostly police officials, weren't on the mood to facilitate things whatsoever. Meanwhile; sad to see your aft cabin go... To compensate, you'll have a newer ship with more bells & whistles if that's your sort of thing at the price of an older bird one. Personally I'd to prefer the Fantasia class though. To each their own. Have a nice sailing!...

Mixed feelings other than the cabin situation.  As you mentioned, Virtuosa is newer with more amenities, but we really loved Divina and I think Preziosa is similar.  Plus, our last 2 cruises were Seaside, Bellissima and Grandiosa coming up in a week or so.  So as nice as the new ships are, sometimes it's nice to have something a bit different too.  

But it is what it is.  If I don't like my cabin assignment, I'll discuss it with MSC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Mixed feelings other than the cabin situation.  As you mentioned, Virtuosa is newer with more amenities, but we really loved Divina and I think Preziosa is similar.  Plus, our last 2 cruises were Seaside, Bellissima and Grandiosa coming up in a week or so.  So as nice as the new ships are, sometimes it's nice to have something a bit different too.  

But it is what it is.  If I don't like my cabin assignment, I'll discuss it with MSC.

Yeah... As per the cabin situation, that's difficult to solve the same way you had. Most of Mera class very aft balconies are from deck 9 onward Premium Fantastica to Aurea suite with balcony. If your original booking was for a Bella experience, I bet you'll stick with either way one of the premium deck 5 ocean view (which will be considered an upgrade) or one of the obstructed view ocean view or junior balcony with obstructed view on deck 8. Things are what they are. Different ship designs. Either way: Enjoy the newer ship with more amenities!...

We sailed on Virtuosa recently anyone who has booked an accessible cabin be aware that apart from the bed the cabins have no other furniture i.e no sofa, chairs to sit on and no table so you have no option but to sit on the bed, having room service is interesting as apart from the dressing table there is no other place to put anything apart from the bed.