Any idea why Dublin isn’t a stop on the September 2023 British Isle cruise?

pappy1022

It is disappointment that Dublin isn’t included on this itinerary. I would have thought that Dublin would be a staple on any British Isle cruises. Is there something happening that would make Regent take this off their itinerary?

They changed to Dun Loaghaire just south of Dublin by about 20-30 min.  We stopped there in July and it's very easy to get to and from Dublin.  If you go to Dun Loaghaire take a short tour that goes into town then stay in there and ride the train back.  We did a tour that took us to St. Patrick's Cathedral as well as the Book of Kells.  We left at Trinity College (after Book of Kells) and walked to the Guiness. Storehouse, then cabbed to Temple Bar, had a fun dinner in Gogarty's pub (they had great duo singing) and then caught the train at the Tara Street Station (a short walk from Temple Bar) and about 20 min. or so later arrived at Dun Loahaire, the station is right at the port.  

But the reason you will go to Dun Loaghaire is that Dublin Cruise Port has severely restricted the number of cruise ships allowed (if not cancelled all cruise ships). 

We are sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Dublin on the Silver Shadow in late May 2023.  I haven’t heard of an itinerary change so far (and hope it doesn’t change), but the ship holds about 380 passengers so perhaps it will be allowed to dock in Dublin.

In July we were told it was because Dublin port makes more money with cargo ships than cruise ships so they prefer cargo ships.  The manager in a shop in Dublin told us many are trying to change this because stores and restaurants are losing some tourist money.  We took a cab into town…don’t rely on this.  I tried to book one online but they did not show.  We went looking for one and found the only one we saw in town and he took us into Dublin.  We took train back.  Our train was very full…tons of people standing.  The platform was very hot.  It is an easy train ride but we would take cab back to ship next time. 

I was aware that Dun Loaghaire Was the port for Dublin cruise ships but it isn’t on our itinerary either. Sounds like Rcandkc has the real reason why Dublin isn’t on our itinerary. We will miss that stop but oh well, lots of other things to see. While researching cruise lines for this trip, I did notice that other cruise lines still include Dublin (Dun Loaghaire). Regent’s website for the cruise we chose did show Dublin as a stop on the itinerary map but the list showing each port and their excursions did not. I did confirm with Regent that Dublin was not a stop on our cruise. So be it. We will still have fun and enjoy the other experiences.