Calico Jack's Alternative/replacement?

pjhootch

On 1/21/2024 at 10:56 AM, pjhootch said:

I started this thread a year and a half ago and I am still hoping a dive bar pops up somewhere to replace Calico Jacks.  In the meantime, we have been to "Public Beach" many times and it is a lovely way to spend a day.  It can be crowded, but that is the nature of going on a cruise ship.  It is a cheap/safe group cab ride from the cruise tender port.  There are always plentiful cabs picking up at the beach to go back to the port.  There is always someone there to sell beer.  It used to be a guy with a cooler.  Now it is a bit more permanent.   If cruises are in port, there will be drinks available.   I will be back in GC in a couple of weeks am going to try Coral Beach for the first time.  But all the cab drivers know where to take you if you say "public beach".

How was Coral beach?

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I visited Calico Jacks on a cruise back around 2011, we especially liked the jerk chicken that was cooked outside next to the restaurant (perhaps by a local). Is there food like that at Public Beach?

On 3/5/2024 at 2:22 PM, szinski said:

My wife and I visited Calico Jacks on a cruise back around 2011, we especially liked the jerk chicken that was cooked outside next to the restaurant (perhaps by a local). Is there food like that at Public Beach?

Possibly?  Vendors like that are scattered all over the island.  No predicting who might show up to sell on a given day.  Technically, they’re supposed to have permits now to vend at Public Beach, which would theoretically result in a standard set of vendors there, but it’s still a kind of messy bureaucratic battle so I have no idea what vendors might be operating there when.  Hopefully someone who has visited Public Beach recently will post with their experiences.

There’s a good seafood and bbq place, Duke’s, across the road from Public Beach if there isn’t anyone selling food right at the beach, or there’s the restaurants at the Kimpton Seafire hotel.  Those are about the closest options if you are having a beach day there.

https://biteclubcayman.com/restaurant/dukes/
https://www.seafireresortandspa.com/grand-cayman-restaurants/