Calico Jack's Alternative/replacement?

pjhootch

Has anything popped up that would be a good alternative for a couple that like to just go to Calico Jack's and hang out in the water in between drinks?  I see we may need to just go to Public Beach- and that's okay.  I kind of loved the old dive beach bar feel- but suspect the $$ from the condos and such on 7 mile beach may rule that out these days.  Any ideas?

We will be there in early October and are wondering the same thing.  We just want a beach day, with chairs/umbrellas and access to food/drink and facilities.  Would really appreciate info from anyone who has been there recently!

Edited by rajacks
  • Like 1

The info in other threads is correct.  Coral Beach is the only beach club left, or there are various public beach entry points where you can DIY, or there’s Public Beach with a few facilities and some possible rentals available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just were there 2 weeks ago and my original plan was to go to Coral Beach but when we arrived at the port the driver suggested we go to Public Beach instead that it was a nicer beach.  Public Beach is located right next to the old Calico Jack's and shares the same beach and there is no entry fees.  There were several chairs and umbrellas to rent about $15 for 2 chairs and $20 including an umbrella there are nice restroom facilities closer to the parking lot area and there are several local vendors that are selling bbq plates, beer, and rum punch.  Beach and swimming were great, we had a wonderful day there.

• Like 5

On 9/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, luv2cruz@sea said:

We just were there 2 weeks ago and my original plan was to go to Coral Beach but when we arrived at the port the driver suggested we go to Public Beach instead that it was a nicer beach.  Public Beach is located right next to the old Calico Jack's and shares the same beach and there is no entry fees.  There were several chairs and umbrellas to rent about $15 for 2 chairs and $20 including an umbrella there are nice restroom facilities closer to the parking lot area and there are several local vendors that are selling bbq plates, beer, and rum punch.  Beach and swimming were great, we had a wonderful day there.

Did you notice if people were snorkeling there? Were there any rentals or boats going out?

On 10/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, 2wheelin said:

Did you notice if people were snorkeling there? Were there any rentals or boats going out?

Not a snorkel spot.  Good beaches generally have crappy snorkeling.  See Capt BJ’s answers in your other thread.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, luv2cruz@sea said:

Thanks..this is what we are looking for. We have massages booked and lunch plans just 1 mi south of public beach so I think thats what we might do.....massages, lunch then make the 1 mile walk over to Public Beach. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 6:24 AM, LSUfan4444 said:

Thanks..this is what we are looking for. We have massages booked and lunch plans just 1 mi south of public beach so I think thats what we might do.....massages, lunch then make the 1 mile walk over to Public Beach. 

Where do you have massages and lunch booked? That sounds like a perfect day to me.

We'll be at Grand Cayman in December and there will be SIX other ships in port. Royal excursions are going to Coral Beach, so we want to avoid that area.

Public Beach sounds like a good option if we want chairs/umbrellas and a chance to get food and drink. Cememtary Beach was another consideration - but no amenities there at all.

Any other beaches we should consider? We want less people, chair rental a plus but not required, nice to have toilet and food options nearby, but don't need anything fancy.

22 hours ago, Lessofjess said:

We'll be at Grand Cayman in December and there will be SIX other ships in port. Royal excursions are going to Coral Beach, so we want to avoid that area.

Public Beach sounds like a good option if we want chairs/umbrellas and a chance to get food and drink. Cememtary Beach was another consideration - but no amenities there at all.

Any other beaches we should consider? We want less people, chair rental a plus but not required, nice to have toilet and food options nearby, but don't need anything fancy.

Are you there Dec 21?  We’re on the Apex that day.  I was doing some research and just noticed there will be 6 ships that day.  20,000+ cruise passengers at a tender port.  Ugh.  And the Apex doesn’t get there until 10 am.  I think it may be too late for us to get to Public beach before it’s already overcrowded.   I want to stay away from Coral.   Anyone have suggestions for a potentially overcrowded island?  I’m tempted to stay on the ship even tho I’ve never been to Grand Cayman.  

On 11/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, jakebloke said:

Are you there Dec 21?  We’re on the Apex that day.  I was doing some research and just noticed there will be 6 ships that day.  20,000+ cruise passengers at a tender port.  Ugh.  And the Apex doesn’t get there until 10 am.  I think it may be too late for us to get to Public beach before it’s already overcrowded.   I want to stay away from Coral.   Anyone have suggestions for a potentially overcrowded island?  I’m tempted to stay on the ship even tho I’ve never been to Grand Cayman.  

First visit?  Then definitely take an excursion that includes a stop at Stingray City.  A HUGE must-do on our family list of things to do in Cayman.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, luv2cruz@sea said:

The way you talk about public beach is as if its the name of a beach. But I can't find one called public beach. If you mean seven mile beach, how would I find the same spot as you on such a big beach?

22 hours ago, harryspotter said:

The way you talk about public beach is as if its the name of a beach. But I can't find one called public beach. If you mean seven mile beach, how would I find the same spot as you on such a big beach?

Public Beach is the commonly known name of the beach, technically I guess it’s Seven Mile Beach Public Beach, but no one calls it that.  If you are coming in on a cruise ship and ask a shuttle driver to take you to Public Beach (not a public beach) that’s where you should end up.  It’s by the Kimpton Seafire hotel if you are looking for it on google maps.

https://www.explorecayman.com/things-to-do/best-beaches#seven-mile-beach-public-beach

The only other place a shuttle might possibly try to take you if you say “a beach” is Coral Beach, which is next to where Royal Palms used to be, and is the only remaining beach club catering to cruisers.  But if you confirm with the driver that you want to go to Public Beach by the Kimpton, you’ll get to the right place.

Is it really confusing?  Yes, but navigating here is kind of like that.  No one tends to use street addresses, it’s all navigating by landmarks and place or plaza names, including ones that no longer exist.  It takes some serious getting used to.

• Thanks 1

I started this thread a year and a half ago and I am still hoping a dive bar pops up somewhere to replace Calico Jacks.  In the meantime, we have been to "Public Beach" many times and it is a lovely way to spend a day.  It can be crowded, but that is the nature of going on a cruise ship.  It is a cheap/safe group cab ride from the cruise tender port.  There are always plentiful cabs picking up at the beach to go back to the port.  There is always someone there to sell beer.  It used to be a guy with a cooler.  Now it is a bit more permanent.   If cruises are in port, there will be drinks available.   I will be back in GC in a couple of weeks am going to try Coral Beach for the first time.  But all the cab drivers know where to take you if you say "public beach".

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, pjhootch said:

I started this thread a year and a half ago and I am still hoping a dive bar pops up somewhere to replace Calico Jacks.  In the meantime, we have been to "Public Beach" many times and it is a lovely way to spend a day.  It can be crowded, but that is the nature of going on a cruise ship.  It is a cheap/safe group cab ride from the cruise tender port.  There are always plentiful cabs picking up at the beach to go back to the port.  There is always someone there to sell beer.  It used to be a guy with a cooler.  Now it is a bit more permanent.   If cruises are in port, there will be drinks available.   I will be back in GC in a couple of weeks am going to try Coral Beach for the first time.  But all the cab drivers know where to take you if you say "public beach".

Would you please come back and give us an updated review of Coral Beach?

On 1/17/2024 at 10:57 AM, bookbabe said:

Public Beach is the commonly known name of the beach, technically I guess it’s Seven Mile Beach Public Beach, but no one calls it that.  If you are coming in on a cruise ship and ask a shuttle driver to take you to Public Beach (not a public beach) that’s where you should end up.  It’s by the Kimpton Seafire hotel if you are looking for it on google maps.

Just curious, why the recommendation for Public beach rather than say Governor beach? It appears to be farther up the coast, ie further away from cruise port, so wondering why it’s the better choice?

9 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Just curious, why the recommendation for Public beach rather than say Governor beach? It appears to be farther up the coast, ie further away from cruise port, so wondering why it’s the better choice?

Bigger and better beach, IMO, and Public has facilities whereas Governors doesn't.  Sometimes Governors has a portapotty, but there are no chair rentals, vendors, etc.  Public also has a playground if you are traveling with kids.

https://www.explorecayman.com/grand-cayman/things-to-do/beaches

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 10:56 AM, pjhootch said:

Hello, how was Coral Beach? Do you recommend it more than Public Beach?