Ponta Delgada Azores Excursion Recommendations

Rainbow3fe

Hi 

It appears that our Celebrity Edge cruise is stopping at Ponta Delgada, Azores. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wonderful day trip. The island looks amazing. 

Thanks in advance, 

Felice 

Edited by Rainbow3fe
  • Like 1

You might want to check out the other recent Azores threads for info.

My recommendation is a half day tour of the island to see the Crater Lakes. Then spend the second half exploring the town. Maybe see if there is a walking tour you can take.

• 2 months later...

Azorean Tours, Gary Travassos, has several shore excursion tours specifically for cruisers. We did tour #7 in September. Price was less than the ship, in a small group - we missed all the masses of people and went places the buses couldn't go. Highly recommend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, movingimages said:

Azorean Tours, Gary Travassos, has several shore excursion tours specifically for cruisers. We did tour #7 in September. Price was less than the ship, in a small group - we missed all the masses of people and went places the buses couldn't go. Highly recommend.

This looks nice. 

Anyone have any other recommendations??????

On 1/18/2023 at 6:12 PM, skiiergirl said:

This looks nice. 

Anyone have any other recommendations??????

We did Tour #1 with Green Visions Tours. It was an AMAZING day! We felt like we were being shown around by a friend.

We are going back to Ponta Delgada in April & are touring with Green Visions again.

You will love Ponta Delgada. It is GORGEOUS! 

https://greenvisionstours.com/en/tours/

6 hours ago, Cool Breeze Cruiser said:

We did Tour #1 with Green Visions Tours. It was an AMAZING day! We felt like we were being shown around by a friend.

We are going back to Ponta Delgada in April & are touring with Green Visions again.

You will love Ponta Delgada. It is GORGEOUS! 

https://greenvisionstours.com/en/tours/

I will check it out. Thanks so much!!!

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as I researching this port for a TA in the fall. 

Still waiting for a response to an email I sent Green Visions inquiring about a tour with a person with mobility issues.  

Any other ideas appreciated.  

On 5/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mimiya11 said:

Bumping this thread as I researching this port for a TA in the fall. 

Still waiting for a response to an email I sent Green Visions inquiring about a tour with a person with mobility issues.  

Any other ideas appreciated.  

I, too, am waiting for a response from Green Visions.  All I need for now is the cost.  If I don't hear back within the next couple of days, I will be looking elsewhere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 5:11 PM, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wonderful day trip. The island looks amazing. 

Thanks in advance, 

Felice 

I spent a week and had a rental car with half the time in Furnas at the hot springs and half in the city.  Loved it.  I wouldn’t miss the twin lakes.  Furnas is on the other side of the island from the twin lakes.  I guess it depends on how much time you have and which direction you want to go.  The first day of our arrival I had hired a woman taxi tour to give us a tour and history, basically the lay of the land so we would feel comfortable driving.  Very informative and as I remember not too expensive.  Sorry, I wish I could remember her name. 

On 9/7/2022 at 5:11 PM, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi 

Thanks in advance, 

Felice 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 1:34 PM, krueg2828 said:

I spent a week and had a rental car with half the time in Furnas at the hot springs and half in the city.  Loved it.  I wouldn’t miss the twin lakes.  Furnas is on the other side of the island from the twin lakes.  I guess it depends on how much time you have and which direction you want to go.  The first day of our arrival I had hired a woman taxi tour to give us a tour and history, basically the lay of the land so we would feel comfortable driving.  Very informative and as I remember not too expensive.  Sorry, I wish I could remember her name. 

@krueg2828 That was a brainstorm of an idea to hire the taxi to give you some historical context and lay of the land! I’ll have to remember that for future - thanks! 🏆🌟

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, nickysmom said:

Can you walk from the Port in Ponta Del Gada, or is it steep or too far to do on your own?

The port is at the city, you just walk past the local boats and you're in the city center. No more than 10 minutes if your a slow walker 😀

we just walked to the end of the pier and picked up a taxi, then on return had him drop us off in front if the main square. Unfortunately most businesses were closed when we were there (Saturday), so we just looked at outside of buildings popped in a grocery for wine and then ate a late lunch before reboarding.

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1