Excursion cancellation policy changed?

nosapphire

Bear in mind that my last cruise with Saga (with anyone) was Christmas 2019, so a bit behind the times now.

Looking on Saga website FAQ (checking current Covid requirements, etc, now thinking about a cruise again) and I was really, really surprised to see that the cancellation policy for excursions has changed a lot.

Up to and including the last cruise, excursions (whether booked pre-cruise or during the cruise) could be cancelled for any reason with a full refund if it was cancelled before the close of tour booking, usually 1-2 days before the actual tour.

I see now that , quote:

"You can change to another excursion up to 72 hours before the day your ocean cruise leaves.

If you cancel completely or make a change within 72 hours, you’ll still need to pay the full excursion cost (unless you have a medical certificate to show why you’re cancelling so late)."

end quote.

Anyone know when this changed?

I usually book some tours pre-cruise, and most during the cruise, so it sounds as if booking during the cruise is being discouraged.

I have never yet cancelled a tour (had a few cancelled on me) but I always found it very reassuring to know that I could, if I later discovered that it was not really suitable for me.

Maybe too many people were abusing the system and cancelling willy-nilly, causing tours to be under-subscribed so it could not go - but 72 hours before the ship sails or lose all the money sounds pretty draconian.

• Thanks 1

Seems perfectly sensible to me!
Can’t see the problem.  At all. 
They can’t be having people just changing their minds willy nilly as the could mean a tour may not be then viable  at last minute, and that could mess people about. 
Nothing wrong with this policy, and certainly not ‘Draconian’ in the slightest. 

• Like 1

How strange, this is what I see on FAQ

Search Saga Ocean Cruise FAQs | Travel & Service Information

You can change or amend your choice of excursions up to approximately 7 days before departure. After that please visit the Explore Ashore Desk when onboard to make any changes. Please note you can cancel a tour free of charge (unless specifically stated in the tour description) up to 48 hours prior to that port of call. After that you will still need to pay the full excursion cost (unless you have a medical exemption certificate from the Ship’s doctor).

The operation of excursion is subject to them reaching minimum required numbers. If we need to cancel a tour for that reason you will be offered an alternative tour where possible or a full refund.

17 hours ago, Mr&MrsHendricks said:

Seems perfectly sensible to me!
Can’t see the problem.  At all. 
They can’t be having people just changing their minds willy nilly as the could mean a tour may not be then viable  at last minute, and that could mess people about. 
Nothing wrong with this policy, and certainly not ‘Draconian’ in the slightest. 

I agree

14 hours ago, Janet- said:

How strange, this is what I see on FAQ

Search Saga Ocean Cruise FAQs | Travel & Service Information

You can change or amend your choice of excursions up to approximately 7 days before departure. After that please visit the Explore Ashore Desk when onboard to make any changes. Please note you can cancel a tour free of charge (unless specifically stated in the tour description) up to 48 hours prior to that port of call. After that you will still need to pay the full excursion cost (unless you have a medical exemption certificate from the Ship’s doctor).

The operation of excursion is subject to them reaching minimum required numbers. If we need to cancel a tour for that reason you will be offered an alternative tour where possible or a full refund.

Why strange? Straight forward to me

I presume that this change (if it indeed is one) has been made to counter the practice of people booking excursions which they know they may not take; on the basis that they need to get their name down in case it sells out, they can always cancel later. Seems a good move to me.

• Like 1

This has happened before, and I suspect it may be a browser problem - different browsers picking up versions put up at different times.

The 48 hours cancellation is the one that I am familiar with, and it is now showing again on my browser - which is good.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

There is still one difference, as it now says that prices (for excursions) "...our prices are right when we publish them"

In days of old the price published (for excursions) was the price you paid, regardless of whether pre-cruise or on board. But that was before prices worldwide went totally crazy, mainly because of the cost of fuel, so understandable that the price may change between publication and booking.

++

To be honest, the only time I recollect a tour being cancelled because of a mass late notice cancellation was a dog sledding trip, when everybody was asked to sign a waiver (regarding accident or injury) about 3 days before we arrived at the port in question. I think we were the only people who signed it, everybody else cancelled.

Usually tours end up with a wait list as they are over subscribed.