Miracle - Skagway port canceled Sept 9

ashkir

Today they canceled the Miracle’s port of call to Skagway. Firstly, let me say I’m glad they did this safely and canceled the stop. The seas look a bit rough, and the miracle isn’t the best ship for these seas right now. Safety first always. 

many are upset about this. Carnival didn’t handle this very well in my opinion.  

1) we knew about the rockslide effecting the port the Miracle is assigned to for months. 
2) we knew we would have to water tender for months. 
3) the prediction was for rough weather for almost 45 days. The weather forecast barely changed since it came out. 

Our Facebook group for this has over a hundred members. Several reached out to Carnival with weather and rockslide concerns and were assured Carnival is prepared for it or will look into alternative ports. 

for a while we were going to go to Sitka. Carnival stuck with Skagway. 

When it got canceled:

1) carnival didn’t tell anyone. 
2) guests waited in line almost an hour after the ship turned around and left before they were told it’s canceled. 
3) the staff waited 1.5 hours to tell people. 

the backup plan is a sea day. 

there’s no alternative ports like Sitka, even Haines would’ve been good, or a longer stop at Hoonah or Juneau. 

just poor communication from carnival. But, not a surprise to anyone honestly. 

safety first always of course. But, this could’ve been handled so much better. 

• Like 2

We were on the Miracle last month after multiple rock slides. Sure there could of been more after our cruise but we were able to go to Skagway. We were also tendered in without any problems. 

I'm sure Carnival did what they thought was the safest. They are not always the best at communicting. They could definitely improve on that. 

Hope you have a great rest of your cruise. 

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care for the way it was handled either. I had not heard about bad weather expectations in Skagway, it came as a complete surprise to us. Yes, no one said a word about the cancellation. The ony way we found out was word of mouthm, as everyone was telling us not to bother, the port is cancelled, as we headed to level 3 to disembark. No effort to go to another port, or spend more time at another, either. It was a great cruise otherwise, but I my dream cruise to Alaska will remain soured because of this.