Manaus to Atlanta flights

Lazy1

This is certainly an interesting discussion.  I have to agree that research is KEY to planning a trip to this type of destination.  That is why after the cruise on March 3, 8 of us will be flying on LATAM from MAO to GIG and spend 3 nights in Rio before flying back to the US.  Not only were the flight options from MAO back to the US awful, but it gives us an opportunity to visit Rio which I've wanted to do for a while.  Excellent return flights on United from Rio->Houston->Phoenix.

51 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

This is certainly an interesting discussion.  I have to agree that research is KEY to planning a trip to this type of destination.  That is why after the cruise on March 3, 8 of us will be flying on LATAM from MAO to GIG and spend 3 nights in Rio before flying back to the US.  Not only were the flight options from MAO back to the US awful, but it gives us an opportunity to visit Rio which I've wanted to do for a while.  Excellent return flights on United from Rio->Houston->Phoenix.

That's an interesting option.  We are staying an extra two nights in Manaus to catch the Saturday and Wednesday only non stop flight from Manaus to Miami.  Total itinerary is less then 11 hours with Miami layover.  Heck of a lot better then the 24-32 hour itineraries with 3 flights through Brasilia, Sao Paulo or Rio.  That would do me in.

The Manaus airport was unremarkable - not in the least bit scary. 
We were fortunate that the GOL flight flew to Miami on our debarkation day but I knew there weren’t many choices before I booked the cruise because I had looked at Google Flights so was not surprised. 
Viking arranged for a charter flight out of Manaus but that didn’t happen until after I pulled the trigger on the GOL flight. In retrospect I’m glad it worked out that way there were some issues with the charter flight communications and it got into Miami so late that it would have required an overnight there before continuing on. 
The GOL flight itself was better than many domestic US flights I’ve taken recently. It departed and arrived earlier than scheduled, was a brand new 737 Max 8 and they fed us a pretty good lunch and a snack. Their website did not work for me at all and their code share with AA didn’t do anything for the GOL flight. I booked and paid for it on the AA website but it had its own separate confirmation number. The baggage issues at Manaus were Vikings fault. The bag drop problem after clearing customs in Miami would have been nice to know about. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chooms said:

FlyerTalker,

we have our flights back to Dulles from Manaus upon completion of our Viking cruise. (3 Mar.)

We are booked thru Delta (by Viking air).

our flight from Manaus  to GRU is provided by Delta codeshare on Latam… GRU to Atlanta, then to Dulles on Delta.

My question is whether our bags would be checked through or do we have to pick up our bags and recheck them at GRU…haven’t found any specifics on this…

also, any difficulty getting from Latam arrival gates. To Delta gates….

thanks for any info

Glenn

If on one ticket, you should be able to have your bags through checked to IAD,  Of course, you would have to retrieve them and go through USA Customs at ATL, but that's par for the course.

9 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I am curious as to what @FlyerTalkerthinks.  I was hoping that our codeshare AA/GOL from Manaus to Miami and then AA to San Juan would be a thru check.  The flights are on 1 ticket.  However those who have gone before reported that in Miami after collecting luggage and clearing customs there was no where to drop their bags for AA flight.  They had to go to the departure hall where all the people just arriving for their flights go, drop off their bags and then proceed through security to their connecting gate.  It could be that it's an international arrival to a domestic gate and that GOL customs and AA customs are in different terminals.  When we have arrived international on AA in Miami there has always been an AA desk right after customs and then security right after that.

GOL arrives on the E concourse at MIA.  There should be a bag drop there, as other OneWorld airlines also arrive at E.

However, I cannot attest as I have not arrived into MIA on GOL.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Flyertalker, I need some of your expertise.  I am booked 2 persons on GOL airlines MIA to MAO on Wed Dec 6, 2023. I booked directly with GOL and have a confirmation number that I can pull up.

When I now look at availability for that flight I do not see it in the schedule.  Neither does is show up on theAA codeshare website.  Is it in fact flying?  I am not familiar with this carrier so my comfort level is being challenged.  Any insight you offer will be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, gradydude said:

Flyertalker, I need some of your expertise.  I am booked 2 persons on GOL airlines MIA to MAO on Wed Dec 6, 2023. I booked directly with GOL and have a confirmation number that I can pull up.

When I now look at availability for that flight I do not see it in the schedule.  Neither does is show up on theAA codeshare website.  Is it in fact flying?  I am not familiar with this carrier so my comfort level is being challenged.  Any insight you offer will be appreciated.  

If you are referring to G3 flight 7639, that is still scheduled at 19:25 with an arrival of 02:20.  The likely reason for not "seeing" the flight is because the flight is currently zeroed out in all inventory for that date.  Also, the flight only operates on Wednesday and Saturday.  Many websites will not show flights have have no inventory for sale, FYI.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are referring to G3 flight 7639, that is still scheduled at 19:25 with an arrival of 02:20.  The likely reason for not "seeing" the flight is because the flight is currently zeroed out in all inventory for that date.  Also, the flight only operates on Wednesday and Saturday.  Many websites will not show flights have have no inventory for sale, FYI.

Thank you for your reply.  So it is sold out?   It seems early. Dec6 is a Wed.  As a professional worrier I would be pretty upset it they substituted that flight for another one that has a stopover. Am I right in assuming that the same guidelines that US carriers have to follow under the FAA and DOA do not apply to foreign carriers.  

26 minutes ago, gradydude said:

Thank you for your reply.  So it is sold out?   It seems early. Dec6 is a Wed.

If there is a cruise out of Manaus, it could very easily be sold out.  Gotta find some way to move all those folks into the jungle.

27 minutes ago, gradydude said:

As a professional worrier I would be pretty upset it they substituted that flight for another one that has a stopover. 

Many international itineraries have connections.  You're lucky that you found a twice-a-week nonstop.  Why should you be worrying?  I've flown into MAO via GRU without any issues.

29 minutes ago, gradydude said:

Am I right in assuming that the same guidelines that US carriers have to follow under the FAA and DOA do not apply to foreign carriers.  

Depends on what "guidelines" you're talking about.

Yes there is a Viking cruise Dec 8.  I believe Viking is chartering a flight Dec7 for the Cruise departure on Dec 8., MIA to MAO.  I have also never flown on a large charter, meaning a charter aircraft with over 12 pax.  Viking seems to be all over the place with their air department and I have gotten 4 different answers.  Are the seats on the charters regular size, they told me only coach was available?  The gal I talked to yesterday said it was an Airbus or a 777, which is a huge difference. She said No seat assignments. What is your opinion on the Viking charter? Thank you for letting me pick your brain  on these airline issues.  I have flown many places and worked for UAL for 20 yrs but I still have these questions.