HAL specific question about insurance and adding 2nd outside policy

newcruzer2

I need cancel for any reason insurance (elderly in-law) Therefore I am buying HALs insurance BECAUSE I don't have to add it a year in advance (only at final payment).

After reading another thread today, I begin thinking about a 2nd policy (which would apply to covered reasons Only). Basically I am thinking of doing the 80% coverage with HAL [instead of my original 90%] and the 2nd non cruise line policy that would cover medical/evac/$900 (20% of base fare).

My question is about HAL platinum Insurance, this would be the 1st time getting a cruise line's insurance.

If you go to medical ON the Ship, will hal just automatically take care of it thru the insurance OR is it like regular travel insurance and they bill your on board acct and I file a claim AFTER. 

I ask because the answer would change my option of getting the platinum coverage, instead of regular hal coverage and other policy.

3 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

I need cancel for any reason insurance (elderly in-law) Therefore I am buying HALs insurance BECAUSE I don't have to add it a year in advance (only at final payment).

After reading another thread today, I begin thinking about a 2nd policy (which would apply to covered reasons Only). Basically I am thinking of doing the 80% coverage with HAL [instead of my original 90%] and the 2nd non cruise line policy that would cover medical/evac/$900 (20% of base fare).

My question is about HAL platinum Insurance, this would be the 1st time getting a cruise line's insurance.

If you go to medical ON the Ship, will hal just automatically take care of it thru the insurance OR is it like regular travel insurance and they bill your on board acct and I file a claim AFTER. 

I ask because the answer would change my option of getting the platinum coverage, instead of regular hal coverage and other policy.

I have a question about your first sentence: that you "need cancel for any reason insurance (elderly in-law)".  Why is it you need CFAR coverage for this?

I can give a possible answer to that, but first, do you understand that there are regular travel insurance policies that include a serious illness (or worse) in a non-traveling family member?  In other words, CFAR may not be needed in the first place if there is a serious medical problem.

We were in that situation, with a very elderly MIL (who passed 2 years ago, about 5 weeks before her 100th...).  The reason we also wanted the CFAR was that MIL *never* complained about not feeling well.  We were concerned that IF she ever mentioned "not feeling quite right" prior to a trip of ours, given her age and lack of ordinary complaints, we'd probably not want to leave, even if the physicians did not yet identify any "reason we shouldn't travel", etc.

That just made *us* feel a lot better.  At least we'd get 75% cash back if we decided, nope, we don't feel comfortable leaving her, etc.  So it depends if you want that type of extra reassurance or just if it's some ailment where the physician says, "Nope, you shouldn't leave town now..."  

You might want to check with www.TripInsuranceStore.com - but CALL them to discuss your concerns, especially regarding your elderly in-law.

Then you can compare costs and coverage of the two policies you are considering with a single comprehensive  third party policy.

Our third party policies don't require paying for coverage for the full costs UNTIL the costs are paid for.  First, one covers the deposit, and then as more non-refundable payments are made, then one ups the coverage to match, in steps.

As for whether HAL's own policies pay the on board medical staff directly, you'd need to double check that.

GC

Travel insurance, including the HAL policy, reimburses you. You have to pay out of pocket first then file a claim. The HAL policy is sold with their name on it, but it is simply branding. The policy is actually underwritten by Nationwide.

HAL is not in the insurance business, and the medical personnel on board are contractors who bill separately. It is charged to your onboard account which must be settled before you disembark.

Edited by Babr