Our LEGENDary B2B to Bermuda & New England / Canada (w/pics) - 8/28/22.

Jamman54

On 9/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Jamman54 said:

A little before 3 pm, we head to the Firebird Lounge for our rapid antigen test, which is required for our next cruise. I think we were more nervous for this test then any of our previous tests, because we had read the many accounts of people saying they tested positive after debarking their cruises. 

In case you didn't know Jeff, there was an outbreak of Covid on the Mardi Gras that we saild on, I wound up with "Cruise Crud" which I think was a mild case of Covid, but never got tested. One of my co workers that was on the sailing did get it, and many people on the facebook group said that got it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

In case you didn't know Jeff, there was an outbreak of Covid on the Mardi Gras that we saild on, I wound up with "Cruise Crud" which I think was a mild case of Covid, but never got tested. One of my co workers that was on the sailing did get it, and many people on the facebook group said that got it.  

Yea, we were aware that there were cases. That's why we were so nervous about being tested on the Legend for the second leg of our B2B. Happily, all the B2Ber's tested negative. 😎

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, Jamman54 said:

Here’s another view of the Norwegian Getaway docked at the Heritage Wharf….

IMG_4955-X2.jpg

The Carnival Legend docked at King’s Wharf…..

IMG_4953-X2.jpg

Our cabin is up there somewhere…..

IMG_4957-X2.jpg

IMG_4958-X2.jpg

Patti instructs me to board the ship, and then go stand out on our balcony. Of course, I comply…..

IMG_4963-X2.jpg

IMG_4959-X2.jpg

IMG_4962-X2.jpg

IMG_4960-X2.jpg

Pretty much the camera was put away for the day at this point. We hung out in the cabin until 7 pm when they started selling the cards for tonight’s edition of Deal or no Deal……

IMG_4964-X2.jpg

The show started at 7:30. We have our cards, and our drinks are coming……

IMG_4965-X2.jpg 

The first player won $350, the second player won $200, and our cards won $50, so we came out $10 ahead for the night.

Afterwards, Patti decided to go to the Deli for a turkey wrap, and I went to Punchliner’s to see Matt Sadler’s 8:30 PG show. He was very funny for it being a PG show, so I’ll give him an 8.5 out of 10.

I met Patti back at the cabin around 9:30. Here is tonight’s towel animal…..

IMG_4980-X2.jpg

Coming up next:  Rain, Rain, please GO AWAY!

Look at that handsome young man!

• Haha 1

Day # 10  -  Portland, Maine  -  (7 am – 5 pm). 

We were up at 6:30 am, just as the Carnival Legend was docking in Portland, Maine. It is a miserable day. The rain is pouring down, and it is 59 degrees outside. Here are our first views of a very wet Portland, from our balcony…..

IMG_6139-X2.jpg

IMG_6140-X2.jpg

IMG_6141-X2.jpg

I went down to the Legend’s Café and picked up a coffee and today’s “Fun Times”…..

IMG_6130-X2.jpg

IMG_6131-X2.jpg

The word is that the rain is supposed to let up around 11 am. We don’t have an excursion booked for today. The plan for today was to walk the waterfront area for a while, before Patti put me in Husband Daycare at $3 Dewey’s. She would then continue with her walking picture tour. Afterwards, we would have a late lunch at Boone’s before heading back to the ship. But after walking all afternoon in the rain in Boston, if it continues to rain, we will not be leaving the ship! Here are some more views of a soggy Portland from our balcony…..

IMG_6142-X2.jpg

IMG_6143-X2.jpg

IMG_6144-X2.jpg

IMG_6180-X2.jpg

IMG_6146-X2.jpg

IMG_6147-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 5

On 9/30/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jamman54 said:

There are a lot of people out on the water today……

IMG_5442-X2.jpg

IMG_5443-X2.jpg

IMG_5448-X2.jpg

IMG_5451-X2.jpg

IMG_5453-X2.jpg

IMG_5464-X2.jpg

IMG_5477-X2.jpg

IMG_5490-X2.jpg

We are now sailing past Fort McHenry…….

IMG_5445-X2.jpg

IMG_5454-X2.jpg

IMG_5457-X2.jpg

IMG_5460-X2.jpg

IMG_5456-X2.jpg

Here is a little history: Fort McHenry was built on the site of the former Fort Whetstone, which had defended Baltimore from 1776 to 1797. Fort Whetstone stood on Whetstone Point (today's residential and industrial area of Locust Point) peninsula, which juts into the opening of Baltimore Harbor between the Basin (today's Inner Harbor) and Northwest branch on the north side and the Middle and Ferry (now Southern) branches of the Patapsco River on the south side.

The Frenchman Jean Foncin designed the fort in 1798, and it was built between 1798 and 1800. The new fort's purpose was to improve the defenses of the increasingly important Port of Baltimore from future enemy attacks.

The new fort was a bastioned pentagon, surrounded by a dry moat—a deep, broad trench. The moat would serve as a shelter from which infantry might defend the fort from a land attack. In case of such an attack on this first line of defense, each point, or bastion could provide a crossfire of cannon and small arms fire.

Fort McHenry was named after early American statesman James McHenry (1753–1816), a Scots-Irish immigrant and surgeon-soldier. He was a delegate to the Continental Congress from Maryland and a signer of the United States Constitution. Afterwards, he was appointed United States Secretary of War (1796–1800), serving under Presidents George Washington and John Adams.

It is best known for its role in the War of 1812, when it successfully defended Baltimore Harbor from an attack by the British navy from the Chesapeake Bay on September 13–14, 1814. It was first built in 1798 and was used continuously by the U.S. armed forces through World War I and by the Coast Guard in World War II. It was designated a national park in 1925, and in 1939 was re-designated a "National Monument and Historic Shrine".

During the War of 1812 an American storm flag, 17 by 25 feet, was flown over Fort McHenry during the bombardment. It was replaced early on the morning of September 14, 1814, with a larger American garrison flag, 30 by 42 feet. The larger flag signaled American victory over the British in the Battle of Baltimore. The sight of the ensign inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem "Defence of Fort M'Henry" that was later set to the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven" and became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner", the national anthem of the United States. Source = Wikipedia.

To be continued……

Very interesting and you piqued my curiosity!  It was written at as a four paragraph poem then later turned into a song and we only sing the first paragraph!

image.thumb.png.b2dbaf86843f67f02a693730cc50b745.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, detroitavant said:

Years ago we took the CAT (ferry) from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth Nova Scotia and the return trip was from Yarmouth to Portland.  I couldn't imagine a cruise ship there, they must have made some upgrades!

I know that cruise ships have been going there for quite a few years. Imagine two ships being there like there were when we were there. The other was the Norwegian Breakaway. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Very interesting and you piqued my curiosity!  It was written at as a four paragraph poem then later turned into a song and we only sing the first paragraph!

image.thumb.png.b2dbaf86843f67f02a693730cc50b745.png

I'm trying to educate everyone. Thanks for being a great student! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

We head up to the Lido for breakfast. Afterwards, we head back to the cabin to wait for the rain to let up. Patti spent the time reading, while I worked on yesterday’s Boston pictures.

11 am came and went, and the rain never let up. At 1 pm we decided that we would not be leaving the ship today. We were a bit bummed, but it wouldn’t have been much fun out in the rain.

We were hungry again, so up to the Lido we went. Patti grabbed a sandwich from the deli, and also made herself a salad. I went to my favorite, Chopsticks, for some Chinese food.

We went over to visit Argee at the Red Frog Rum Bar for a couple of drinks, and then back to the cabin to relax until sail away. The Carnival Legend sailed right at 5 pm, and since a light rain was still falling, we decided to watch from our balcony. Here are a few views of Portland before we sailed…..

IMG_6158-X2.jpg

IMG_6164-X2.jpg

IMG_6165-X2.jpg

It’s time to throw the lines…..

IMG_6155-X2.jpg

IMG_6157-X2.jpg

The Carnival Legend backs out into the harbor….

IMG_6161-X2.jpg

IMG_6169-X2.jpg

IMG_6167-X2.jpg

IMG_6168-X2.jpg

IMG_6171-X2.jpg

IMG_6172-X2.jpg

IMG_6173-X2.jpg

To be continued….

• Like 8

Water taxis and ferries are used to shuttle people around town and to other towns…..

IMG_6170-X2.jpg

IMG_6178-X2.jpg

IMG_6174-X2.jpg

IMG_6175-X2.jpg

IMG_6179-X2.jpg

The Carnival Legend spins around to sail out of the harbor. We are now sailing past the Norwegian Breakaway, which was also in port today…..

IMG_6186-X2.jpg

IMG_6190-X2.jpg

IMG_6191-X2.jpg

IMG_6192-X2.jpg

IMG_6195-X2.jpg

IMG_6200-X2.jpg

IMG_6205-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 5

We are sailing past one of the marinas…..

IMG_6198-X2.jpg

IMG_6199-X2.jpg

IMG_6201-X2.jpg

IMG_6203-X2.jpg

The Carnival Legend sails into the Casco Bay……

IMG_6207-X2.jpg

This next group of pictures were taken as we sailed past Fort Gorges. Here’s a little history: Fort Gorges is a former United States military fort built on Hog Island Ledge in Casco Bay, Maine. Built from 1858 to 1864, no battles were fought there and no troops were stationed there. Advancing military technology, including iron clad ships and long range guns, made the fort obsolete before it could be used. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Source = Wikipedia.

IMG_6208-X2.jpg

IMG_6209-X2.jpg

IMG_6211-X2.jpg

IMG_6213-X2.jpg

IMG_6222-X2.jpg

IMG_6230-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 9

Yes the day in Portland Me was miserable. We did the Lighthouse of Maine tour and think was rainy and cold the entire tour. Worse yet the meeting point for the excursions was just a covered carport structure outside. Fortunately as you should be getting to our 2 Canadian stops next the weather there turned nice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Morebeer said:

Yes the day in Portland Me was miserable. We did the Lighthouse of Maine tour and think was rainy and cold the entire tour. Worse yet the meeting point for the excursions was just a covered carport structure outside. Fortunately as you should be getting to our 2 Canadian stops next the weather there turned nice. 

We've been to Portland several times before this, and this was the first time we had bad weather. The two sunny Canada stops made up for the weather in Boston and Portland! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

So enjoying your review and pictures. Do you have more Carnival cruises booked in 2023 you'll be reviewing including pictures? The wife and I are sailing Princess in 2023 March 2023 to Hawaii and Sept 2023 to Alaska. Been trying to find a S Carib itinerary in 2024 on Carnival that includes Aruba. Curacao, or Bonaire but think it's to early for 2024 still. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Morebeer said:

So enjoying your review and pictures. Do you have more Carnival cruises booked in 2023 you'll be reviewing including pictures? The wife and I are sailing Princess in 2023 March 2023 to Hawaii and Sept 2023 to Alaska. Been trying to find a S Carib itinerary in 2024 on Carnival that includes Aruba. Curacao, or Bonaire but think it's to early for 2024 still. 

Thank you very much! We have six Carnival cruises booked for next year. We have a S2S booked in January. Freedom (Eastern) & Spirit (Southern). We have a B2B booked on the Celebration in April, (Eastern & Western), and finally a B2B on the Magic from New York, (Eastern & Canada). :classic_cool:

• Like 3

Here are some more views from our balcony on the port side of the ship as we cruise through Casco Bay……

IMG_6216-X2.jpg

IMG_6217-X2.jpg

IMG_6218-X2.jpg

We are cruising past House Island and another fort. This is Fort Scammel and here is some history: House Island is a private island in Portland Harbor in Casco Bay, Maine, United States. It is part of the City of Portland. The island is only accessible by boat. Public access is prohibited, except for an on request tour sanctioned by the island's owners. House Island includes three buildings on the east side and Fort Scammell on the west side. The buildings are used as summer residences. The island's name derives from the site of an early European house, believed that built by Capt. Christopher Levett, an English explorer of the region. On June 21, 2012, the Wall Street Journal reported the island for sale for $4.9m. Source = Wikipedia.

IMG_6223-X2.jpg

IMG_6219-X2.jpg

IMG_6220-X2.jpg

IMG_6224-X2.jpg

IMG_6226-X2.jpg

IMG_6227-X2.jpg

IMG_6221-X2.jpg

IMG_6228-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Here are some more views from our balcony on the port side of the ship as we cruise through Casco Bay……

IMG_6216-X2.jpg

IMG_6217-X2.jpg

IMG_6218-X2.jpg

We are cruising past House Island and another fort. This is Fort Scammel and here is some history: House Island is a private island in Portland Harbor in Casco Bay, Maine, United States. It is part of the City of Portland. The island is only accessible by boat. Public access is prohibited, except for an on request tour sanctioned by the island's owners. House Island includes three buildings on the east side and Fort Scammell on the west side. The buildings are used as summer residences. The island's name derives from the site of an early European house, believed that built by Capt. Christopher Levett, an English explorer of the region. On June 21, 2012, the Wall Street Journal reported the island for sale for $4.9m. Source = Wikipedia.

IMG_6223-X2.jpg

IMG_6219-X2.jpg

IMG_6220-X2.jpg

IMG_6224-X2.jpg

IMG_6226-X2.jpg

IMG_6227-X2.jpg

IMG_6221-X2.jpg

IMG_6228-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Question: Are you using a cellphone to take/post the photos and have you found a way to get those spaces between the photos other than uploading them one at a time?  TIA.

• Like 1

Since the Portland Head Light would be on the starboard side as we sailed out, I decided to brave the elements and go up on deck until we were out at sea. Patti was having none of that! Yep, it was still raining when I stepped outside, but not as hard. I do have an overhang, so that helped a little…..

IMG_6249-X2.jpg

I’m taking a look back at Portland…..

IMG_6250-X2.jpg

IMG_6251-X2.jpg

IMG_6252-X2.jpg

IMG_6253-X2.jpg

Looking at the shoreline on the starboard side of the ship…..

IMG_6254-X2.jpg

IMG_6255-X2.jpg

IMG_6256-X2.jpg

IMG_6257-X2.jpg

IMG_6259-X2.jpg

IMG_6270-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 6

The Pilot Boat is waiting for us…..

IMG_6261-X2.jpg

We are approaching the Portland Head Light. Here’s some history on the Portland Head Light: The Portland Head Light is a historic lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. The light station sits on a head of land at the entrance of the primary shipping channel into Portland Harbor, which is within Casco Bay in the Gulf of Maine. Completed in 1791, it is the oldest lighthouse in the state of Maine. The light station is automated, and the tower, beacon, and foghorn are maintained by the United States Coast Guard, while the former lighthouse keepers' house is a maritime museum within Fort Williams Park.

Construction began in 1787 at the directive of George Washington, and was completed on January 10, 1791 using a fund of 1,500 dollars established by him. Whale oil lamps were originally used for illumination. In 1855, following formation of the Lighthouse Board, a fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed; that lens was replaced by a second-order Fresnel lens, which was replaced later by an aero beacon in 1958. That lens was updated with a DCB-224 aero beacon in 1991. Source = Wikipedia.

IMG_6263-X2.jpg

IMG_6262-X2.jpg

IMG_6269-X2.jpg

IMG_6265-X2.jpg

IMG_6271-X2.jpg

IMG_6277-X2.jpg

IMG_6282-X2.jpg

IMG_6285-X2.jpg

IMG_6294-X2.jpg

IMG_6298-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 6

We are sailing out past the rugged shoreline of Maine, and leaving Portland behind….

IMG_6283-X2.jpg

IMG_6291-X2.jpg

IMG_6300-X2.jpg

IMG_6301-X2.jpg

The Pilot Boat is making it’s run…..

IMG_6274-X2.jpg

IMG_6295-X2.jpg

I head back to the cabin. We are now back out at sea, and the weather looks like it’s starting to break…..

IMG_6302-X2.jpg

IMG_6303-X2.jpg

IMG_6305-X2.jpg

IMG_6304-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Question: Are you using a cellphone to take/post the photos and have you found a way to get those spaces between the photos other than uploading them one at a time?  TIA.

Since we do our reviews "after the fact", our process is different from those that do the "live" reviews. While on the cruise, Patti or I, (mostly Patti) take our pictures using our Canon camera. We try, at the end of each day, to download the pictures we took to our laptop. Once there, I can discard, resize, crop, the pictures at my leisure. I also keep a journal with bullet notes on a daily basis, which helps me match up the pictures to the events.

Once home, I finish checking out all of the pictures, and then upload them to our hosting site. That done, I can then start to post the review. First, I choose what pictures I will be posting for each page of the review. I'll usually do between 2 and 8 pages at a time. Once the pictures are selected, I then type my text into word. When I'm ready to post, I copy my text from Word in first, and then download my pictures from my hosting site one at a time, paying attention that I do get separation between each picture. Yes, it is a lot of work, but well worth it to us. Having a space between pictures really makes a difference, but I really have no idea how the process works using your phone. I'm sure Saint Greg and others will chime in. :classic_cool:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

At 7 pm we made our way to the Follies Theater for tonight’s games of Deal or no Deal……

IMG_6307-X2.jpg

IMG_6308-X2.jpg

We have our cards, and our drinks…..

IMG_6310-X2.jpg

The show is hosted by our Cruise Director Gabe…..

IMG_6311-X2.jpg

IMG_6313-X2.jpg

The first contestant is James L. They were constantly blowing fog across the stage, making it difficult to get good pictures…..

IMG_6318-X2.jpg

IMG_6328-X2.jpg

James L. wound up winning $100…..

IMG_6320-X2.jpg

IMG_6321-X2.jpg

IMG_6325-X2.jpg

IMG_6332-X2.jpg

IMG_6333-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 3

The next contestant selected was Christine B……

IMG_6334-X2.jpg

Christine B. wound up winning $200…..

IMG_6339-X2.jpg

IMG_6342-X2.jpg

IMG_6343-X2.jpg

IMG_6344-X2.jpg

We won one of the $25 Bingo packages......

IMG_6341-X2.jpg

Afterwards, we went up to Lido for some dinner. Patti had a turkey wrap and fries, and I had a pepperoni pizza…..

IMG_6347-X2.jpg

IMG_6348-X2.jpg

We stopped and grabbed some frozen yogurt to bring back to the cabin. Here is tonight’s towel animal…..

IMG_6349-X2.jpg

Coming up next: Heading to a SUNNY Saint John!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I really have no idea how the process works using your phone. I'm sure Saint Greg and others will chime in. :classic_cool:

Yeah @IntrepidFromDC there are a couple ways to put the spaces in using your phone. I rarely do it since I’m usually doing it live with alot of pictures not a lot of time. 

The best way to do it is to upload them all but insert them as you want them. Type something. Insert. Type something insert. One issue with that is if you forget which ones you inserted. 

a way to just space them out without hitting insert each time is to post the pictures, then click the edit button. Get your cursor to the right of a picture and hit the return button to create a space. You have to be careful not to select the picture otherwise you’ll delete it. 

What really stinks is if you use the first method and something goes wrong and you lose everything you just did. That’s why most of the time I’ll just post a few pictures then make a new post. I do a lot of new posts instead of messing with the separation. That way I don’t have to worry  about all of the potential issues that come with trying to make it look nice in one post as Jeff does here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2