1st time Celebrity cruiser- eastern Med

Cbmac134

My fiance and I have been looking for cruises to the Med for our honeymoon! The best itinerary I have found is the 10 nights: Italy, Turkey and Best of Greece on the Celebrity Constellation (July 10, 2023). I am looking for all and any tips, and reviews. I have searched many reviews of this sailing, but they are all from a few years ago. I am especially interested in any excursion reviews, as we have never been to this part of Europe. Also, a review of the Sushi restaurant as we may make a reservation if it we hear good things! Thanks in advance!!!! 🙂 

6 hours ago, wineoclock said:

I’ve been on Connie once. Nice ship but limited for me a bit compared to S class. Good itineraries though. Where are you sailing to? And maybe someone can help if you put a photo of where you are going. 

Good point! It goes to: Olympia, Greece, Santorini, Greece, Ephesus, Turkey, Mykonos, Greece, Athens, Chania, Crete, Zakynthos, Greece and it's round trip to and from Venice! 

Try & stay in Venice to see the Redentore festival & fireworks if you can. 

Going to Olympia on my next cruise. 

Santorini try to do Oia or Akrotiri. The island is spectacular & Oia is known to have one of the best sunsets in the world. 

Ephesus you want to do the biblical sites as well if you can or a best of Ephesus.

Mykonos - we just went to a beach. 

Athens - well you can’t not see the Acropolis. Plaka, Monisteraki. So much to see. 

Chania- I would see what excursions are offered. Knossos, the 15km gorge, Spinalonga just off the top of my head. 

Zakynthos- also know as Zante. I’ve not been. 

Also look on the port of call boards. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Remember that it isn’t really round-trip from Venice anymore, it’s from Ravenna.  That’s a couple of hours away.

Omg! I did not know that! Thanks for telling me. I’m assuming people must go on trains to get there.

I'm on Constellation in a few weeks, BTB cruises but one of them is very similar to your itinerary, if not the same. I've been to most of the ports on previous cruises and they are a nice assortment (Zakynthos being the new one....). I will try to remember to look up this thread when I'm back and post any observations.

On Santorini consider a ship's tour because of the logistics (ships have to tender), and tour passengers get tendered off first to one location, then the ship moves and the rest of the passengers get tendered off to a different location where you have to get to the top of the cliff via cable car, walking a couple hundred steps or taking a donkey (a bit terrifying as they sometimes like to dash...).  At any rate, you gain about an hour getting to Oia before it gets packed.

Athens is easy to do on your own, the historic area is quite compact and mostly pedestrianized. There is an express bus (X80) from the port directly to the Acropolis for around 4-5 euros for a 24-hour pass. Whatever you do try to get to the Acropolis first thing, as close to opening as you can. Most cruise tours start rolling in about 60-90 minutes later and it gets packed at the top and going up/down the steps.

Edited to add:  If your ship is going out of Ravenna, plan to spend a few days pre- or post-cruise in Venice. Also spend at least one night (recommended always) prior to your cruise.  I'd suggest spending at least a day in Ravenna to see the wonderful mosaics (maybe pre-cruise, then a stay in Venice after...)

Edited by cruisemom42

3 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Look into getting a day pass to a beach resort at one of your ports. Saint John Resort in Mykonos has a private beach and an infinity pool. It’s expensive, but includes lunch I believe. 

Thank you! Does the cost include transportation to the resort?

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm on Constellation in a few weeks, BTB cruises but one of them is very similar to your itinerary, if not the same. I've been to most of the ports on previous cruises and they are a nice assortment (Zakynthos being the new one....). I will try to remember to look up this thread when I'm back and post any observations.

On Santorini consider a ship's tour because of the logistics (ships have to tender), and tour passengers get tendered off first to one location, then the ship moves and the rest of the passengers get tendered off to a different location where you have to get to the top of the cliff via cable car, walking a couple hundred steps or taking a donkey (a bit terrifying as they sometimes like to dash...).  At any rate, you gain about an hour getting to Oia before it gets packed.

Athens is easy to do on your own, the historic area is quite compact and mostly pedestrianized. There is an express bus (X80) from the port directly to the Acropolis for around 4-5 euros for a 24-hour pass. Whatever you do try to get to the Acropolis first thing, as close to opening as you can. Most cruise tours start rolling in about 60-90 minutes later and it gets packed at the top and going up/down the steps.

Edited to add:  If your ship is going out of Ravenna, plan to spend a few days pre- or post-cruise in Venice. Also spend at least one night (recommended always) prior to your cruise.  I'd suggest spending at least a day in Ravenna to see the wonderful mosaics (maybe pre-cruise, then a stay in Venice after...)

Thank you so much for the great tips! Enjoy your cruise! 

2 hours ago, Cbmac134 said:

Thank you! Does the cost include transportation to the resort?

This hotel has a shuttle, but I don’t know how it works with cruise passengers. You can email to inquire or pick another resort. Mykonos has some party beaches as well, if you like those. 

7 hours ago, Cbmac134 said:

I know 😞 sadly because I’m a teacher we really only have the summer to go

If you have never used them try Toursbylocals who have private guides in most ports. Find a tour you like, put it on your specific Roll Call and share the cost. We useTBL practically everywhere and have never had a bad guide. Book the Guides ASAP.