IONA - 24th September Spain & Portugal

GSPG

1 hour ago, picsa said:

I would find it hard to believe that direct phone bookings with P&O don't currently follow a similar script (when I booked direct with P&O some years ago by phone they certainly had the health question), but if the person who is complaining doesn't believe they were asked the questions and it wasn't simply a case of them assuming something to be the case when it is not, then as P&O record booking calls (or certainly did in the past as I had cause to make use of this due to a dispute about what was said) then they should ask P&O to check the recording.

The reason we booked by phone is that we had cruise credit from a cancelled trip plus compensation from a dreadful cabin, one on my account and one on my husbands, so we couldn't book online

My husband made the call when we booked. He said they read a long page about P&O current regulations and situations. Very hard to take in and so much information and he can't remember a lot of it. He says they definitely does not remember them saying or ask anything about whether we had any health issues that may be affected by any of the changes they might implement (whatever they may be). He certainly would have raised our immune suppressed status (both had 5 vaccines each!) but potential mask-wearing would have flagged my asthma issues, which is fine under normal circumstances. 

If you need to check boxes on a form or online about this its wrong that its not raised specifically on the phone and the lady who raised the fact earlier in the thread that not everyone has online access makes this all the more important!

We received an email that advised us to read P&Os policies etc but it's too late for us anyway even on health issues as we've had to pay fully. 

What does make us cross is when we phoned they kept quoting a couple of lines that must have been in the middle of the missive that we'd agreed to about making changes or bringing in measures to keep everyone safe. It seems their coverall get out clause

We are now going to get them to listen to our booking though 

2 hours ago, Shelley61 said:

We booked at the weekend with an agent and they made it clear at booking what the current protocol is (vaccinations required  but testing only recommended).  They did say that it was down to us to keep on top of any changes in P&O's requirements.

If I were susceptible to potentially serious issues from contracting Covid, I don't think I'd book a cruise any time soon.

The UK particularly is going down the route of "Covid?  What Covid?  No such thing anymore", so it wouldn't surprise me none if P&O followed suit as soon as they can (i.e. no isolation in cabins, etc).

Having had it back in January, and knowing quite a few people that have had it recently, for the majority it seems to be nothing more than an annoyance, just like a cold.

I do appreciate that for some people it can be much more serious and, as I say, if I was someone that was likely to have a serious problem from contracting it, I'd stay well away.

If a policy has changed since a booking (i.e. going from required testing to none), I would have thought there was an argument to say you should be entitled to a refund.

That said, I know of a few people that went on cruises where testing was required, yet Covid was still rife on the ship.

We have had changes of requirements during the last year since booking and to P and O credit they have advised us each time including the recent "you don't need to test" I have however also made sure I have read their policy every few months to keep up with the current process.

I agree that I would not be booking a cruise if the likelihood of catching COVID would put me at serious risk as given you don't need to isolate on land I feel it will likely follow suit on ships sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, s&gsjollies said:

My husband made the call when we booked. He said they read a long page about P&O current regulations and situations. Very hard to take in and so much information and he can't remember a lot of it.

Even when your life might depend on it?

Personally I would want such things in writing and I would ask them to either post it to me or tell me where I could find it on the website so I could read and understand it, rather than just assume and hope for the best.

Anyway, back on topic and hope people still feel they can contribute without fear of arguement, and just need to move on from this one.

Still interested to hear any accounts from those currently on this cruise. Has anything changed from when you left Southampton? Are all venue’s open? Are more people wearing masks? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GSPG said:

Anyway, back on topic and hope people still feel they can contribute without fear of arguement, and just need to move on from this one.

Still interested to hear any accounts from those currently on this cruise. Has anything changed from when you left Southampton? Are all venue’s open? Are more people wearing masks? 

Friends on this cruise at the moment: Everything open, no mask wearing, but all the crew are, some people are wearing masks in the theatre but that's there choice. Our friends are having a great time on this ship, and we cannot wait to get on her on the 29th October. No sign of Covid at the moment, as they have heard. Plus they are in their 70s, and booked again for Christmas while on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

On 14th September, I received an email relating to our Ventura cruise at the end of this month. It outlined the revised vaccination and testing requirements which are still on force at the moment. It made it very clear that full vaccination was a requirement but that testing was no longer compulsory but strongly recommended. This came by email because that is my selected line of communication. I presume that those who choose to be notified by post, received a letter.

I agree though that it would be good practice to tell those booking late that the protocols have changed. That said, if you book by phone, there is recorded notification of the policy as you wait to be put through to an agent and if booking online (something I would never do apart from a dummy booking to check availability and accurate pricing), you cannot proceed to book without ‘checking the box’ to notify them that you have read the vaccination and testing policies that appear on screen. Personally, if booking well in advance, I see no point outlining the protocols when booking or on the booking confirmation because they are likely to change but an update such as the one we received a few weeks before the cruise departs seems to be good practice. 

Presumably those who use an agent to handle their booking have to rely on their agent passing the information on to their client. 

No, we book through an agent and also received the same e-mail from P&O.

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No, we book through an agent and also received the same e-mail from P&O.

Perhaps they see the information as too important to trust a third party to deal with. If so, very creditable. 

20 hours ago, picsa said:

Even when your life might depend on it?

Personally I would want such things in writing and I would ask them to either post it to me or tell me where I could find it on the website so I could read and understand it, rather than just assume and hope for the best.

If you read my original post you will see that I say we were naive and its been our own very expensive mistake - there are a lot of reasons that contributed to this happening on a personal level that I've not chosen to share and why we desperately needed a break. I really don't appreciate our errors being pointed out more than once in different blunt ways.

Thank you to the kind person who pointed it out and stuck up for me - your comments were irrelevant and were not constructive

• Like 13

We are currently on the cruise and actually did the last week in Norway too, so a back to back for us.

We will do a full review once back. We have sailed multiple times over the past 11 or so years and it has been fascinating doing these two cruises together. The change of passengers ‘types’ between the one week itinerary to the two week one feels quite marked to us.

The Retreat has been the saving grace for us and we pre booked too. We are booked on Azura in June and then Arvia next winter. We have enjoyed our time on Iona and met some lovely staff and fellow passengers, but we will most likely be cancelling our trip planned on Avria. 

Edited by Devon Lady
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Devon Lady said:

We have enjoyed our time on Iona and met some lovely staff and fellow passengers, but we will most likely be cancelling our trip planned on Avria. 

Thanks.

Just curious after having a good time why you are cancelling Arvia?