Former Crystal Mozart - able to book, now Riverside Luxury Cruises

Coral

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The Mozart has been spotted sailing! The folks on Binnenschifferforum say that she has left the shipyard in Linz and was seen sailing towards Vienna. It sounds as if her transformation is complete.

notamermaid

I am following someone who works for the new company and she said she was going to board the ship in 24 hours in Vienna.

Yes, the ship is going to Vienna for a media presentation/event tonight. Then she´s heading back to Linz.

Their main focus are their existing hotel guests. They now have four price models on the website. "Full Board" which includes the meals and water. And "all inclusive" option which includes a beverage package and afternoon coffee/waffles. And then you can have both packages with one excursion at each port.

steamboats

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

Yes, the ship is going to Vienna for a media presentation/event tonight. Then she´s heading back to Linz.

Their main focus are their existing hotel guests. They now have four price models on the website. "Full Board" which includes the meals and water. And "all inclusive" option which includes a beverage package and afternoon coffee/waffles. And then you can have both packages with one excursion at each port.

steamboats

That is an awful pricing model.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steamboats said:

It´s not geared to cruisers but their hotel guests.

steamboats

Well - it is not the first time a cruise line has tried something and it didn't work and they had to adjust accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Well - it is not the first time a cruise line has tried something and it didn't work and they had to adjust accordingly.

Well, you have to see it from their perspective... They don´t want to act as a cruise line but a hotel brand. Same with Ritz-Carlton´s Evrima... and there´s another luxury hotel brand which recently announced that they are building a small luxury cruise ship.

I assume we´re not the target group ;-).

steamboats

Was a bit confused about this as I thought Karst and Schreiner are the bosses of Amawaterways and have been since founding the company. Just a short note as the article is behind a register-to-read wall:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/ex-amawaterways-boss-stuart-perl-set-to-return-with-new-river-line-36911

Apparently Stuart Pearl was managing director for the UK and left in 2020 (as stated in another online article).

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Was a bit confused about this as I thought Karst and Schreiner are the bosses of Amawaterways and have been since founding the company. Just a short note as the article is behind a register-to-read wall:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/ex-amawaterways-boss-stuart-perl-set-to-return-with-new-river-line-36911

Apparently Stuart Pearl was managing director for the UK and left in 2020 (as stated in another online article).

notamermaid

They have had some good hires. They should just buy the rest of the fleet.

11 hours ago, Coral said:

They should just buy the rest of the fleet.

The basic problem is that the rest of the fleet is more or less owned by banks. And they want their money back they loaned to Crystal. Therefore it might be cheaper to build new ships than to buy those.

steamboats

7 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The basic problem is that the rest of the fleet is more or less owned by banks. And they want their money back they loaned to Crystal. Therefore it might be cheaper to build new ships than to buy those.

steamboats

How were they able to buy this ship? Same issue or different issue?

I guess it is not much different from building a house as regards the banks. I have seen the publicly available info on the Viking ships being built with a bank loan to be paid back per contract over a period of eight years. I do not remember which ships they were but I calculated at the time that they would be paid off by 2021. Of course, you can choose to pay back faster. It is standard to have a bank in the background and/or an investor (group) for financing. The individual contracts will differ.

Crystal (Genting) were very enthusiastic about the share they could get in the river cruises market with their newbuilds (saw an interview), unfortunately, together with the  idea that the Mozart would do well on the Chinese market, they got it wrong. Granted, very much connected with the pandemic, but not entirely.

I agree with the interviewee that the Mozart can give the luxury the new venture wants to provide but the smaller, minimally scaled-down other ships, cannot - especially with the loan in the background causing financing worries.

For now, I see the future of the remaining ships a bit bleak.

notamermaid

• 4 weeks later...

An article expanding a bit on the takeover and plans: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/New-river-line-plays-a-familiar-tune-with-former-Crystal-Mozart?ct=river

and new from the UK with info on booking through travel agents: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/travel-agents/riverside-luxury-cruises-unveils-raft-of-booking-offers

Certainly looks promising for the re-launch of the Mozart.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:24 AM, notamermaid said:

An article expanding a bit on the takeover and plans: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/New-river-line-plays-a-familiar-tune-with-former-Crystal-Mozart?ct=river

and new from the UK with info on booking through travel agents: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/travel-agents/riverside-luxury-cruises-unveils-raft-of-booking-offers

Certainly looks promising for the re-launch of the Mozart.

notamermaid

Good to hear. Service was exceptional on that vessel. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a better itinerary distribution than Crystal, which clustered all their ships (even the ones with French names, which were originally intended for French rivers) on the Rhine and Danube.  Even with only the first three ships Riverside is covering the three big river itineraries. It will be interesting to see where they put the other two.

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sounds like a better itinerary distribution than Crystal, which clustered all their ships (even the ones with French names, which were originally intended for French rivers) on the Rhine and Danube.  Even with only the first three ships Riverside is covering the three big river itineraries. It will be interesting to see where they put the other two.

We sailed Crystal on the Danube, Rhine and Moselle, which was delightful and not offered by many in the way Crystal sailed it.  So now a ship will do the Rhone, which was no big deal to us because we've already done that with Uniworld.   I'm just saying it just sounds like more of the same.  And 3 day cruises?  Who wants to fly all the way to Europe for a 3 day cruise?