Isolation change Australia / NZ QE Cruises

Poole Boy

Cunard have changed the isolation procedures for QE's Australia / NZ cruises.

If any one in a cabin test positive for Covid then every one goes into isolation for a minimum of 7 days. This is a change from the current policy where only those who test positive go into isolation.

1 hour ago, Poole Boy said:

Cunard have changed the isolation procedures for QE's Australia / NZ cruises.

If any one in a cabin test positive for Covid then every one goes into isolation for a minimum of 7 days. This is a change from the current policy where only those who test positive go into isolation.

That's very odd for them to have changed that particularly in light of Australia's recent (last week) change to the country's rules regarding quarantine and isolation on land - anyone testing positive is no longer required to isolate for any period of time. I won't comment what I think about that but the Cunard situation you've described seems a little over the top. In light of Host Hattie's recent experience, it seems they may unnecessarily be spoiling the holiday of people who do not have covid.

It must be in response to the Australian government guidelines for cruising to re-start which they wrote some months ago. It seems a little out of date now as people are no longer required to be vaccinated for covid to enter the country, which they were when this was written. Pre-embarkation testing for covid is currently required and is included in this document - I hope that is maintained as it's an efficient way to minimise the seeding cases on board. (download either pdf or word link from the page I will post below).

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/cdna-national-guidelines-for-cruising-in-australia

• Like 1

This does seem very harsh and it will only lead to people not coming forward to test when on board and feeling unwell.

Does anyone know if a supervised RAT test to board in Australia is 48 hours or 72 hours prior to sailing?

56 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Does anyone know if a supervised RAT test to board in Australia is 48 hours or 72 hours prior to sailing?

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

That's harsh, do you have a link to this please?

As far as I can tell most people do choose to stay together but not everyone who shares a cabin with someone who is positive will catch it.

From the Cunard Australia web site, as at 5 October:

https://www.cunard.com/en-au/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/before-you-board

24 hours for RAT, 48 for PCR.  "May" be asked to show proof.  Also, Australia still has the prorated FCC in the event of testing positive while onboard.

image.png.51f419721e4683bd8573aa7d93b09a1a.png

image.thumb.png.70605e9bd57599928b21b9531c60cf6e.png

image.thumb.png.6f7c8a00c1340af6726b3028b366d132.png

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

That's harsh, do you have a link to this please?

As far as I can tell most people do choose to stay together but not everyone who shares a cabin with someone who is positive will catch it.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/sailings-from-australia

Edited by Poole Boy
Change link

Thanks, sfred. "24 hour self administered RAT test" - doesn't sound like it needs to be a supervised one but then how will they know when it was taken? We board on a Monday and only arrive in Perth on Sunday, so if a supervised test is required we better start looking for a pharmacy in Perth we can go to on Monday morning!

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

This does seem very harsh and it will only lead to people not coming forward to test when on board and feeling unwell.

I just received an email from Cunard in reference to my February cruise departing Melbourne; you will surely receive one, too.

The main passage (apart from complusory vaccination for those over 12 years) is as follows in answer to your question:

For all voyages sailing in Australia and New Zealand, there are additional requirements due to Australian government protocols. All guests must take a self-administered RAT (Rapid-Antigen Test/lateral flow) within 24 hours of embarkation or a PCR test within 48 hours of embarkation, with a negative result. Please find full testing and vaccination requirements below.

You need to attest to the negative result and be able to show proof of such if asked. i.e. photograph of negative test with your government issued ID card and date and time, perhaps.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ClefsDor said:

Thanks, sfred. "24 hour self administered RAT test" - doesn't sound like it needs to be a supervised one but then how will they know when it was taken? We board on a Monday and only arrive in Perth on Sunday, so if a supervised test is required we better start looking for a pharmacy in Perth we can go to on Monday morning!

The RAT doesn't need to be supervised. Just need to be able to show proof if asked. There's a lot of discussion on the Australian and NZ cruisers board about this matter - mainly with reference to Princess and other lines but the same holds for Cunard.