MDR opening seating for eight?

hokie_fan

I generally love open seating, but this time we have a party of eight.  Has anyone attempted this with a large group?  I feel it would be simpler to have early or late, but we can decide on which one (and  they are booked already)  We are doing an 10 day panama cruise on the Eurodam.  Also, any idea which nights will be gala nights?  Thanks!

Without knowing the itinerary,  hard to tell what nights will be "dressy" (the new name). But I would suspect the second night, the second to last night, and a sea day somewhere in the middle. 

You won't h,Ave any problems getting a table for 8.

Agree.  You will have no problem with a table for 8 at Anytime Dining.......

I will add this though.....It's so much more efficient for a large group when the same waiters get to know all the requests, etc of the diners (who wants iced tea, do they like coffee w/dessert, who can't decide what to order so take their order last, who does/does not drink wine and on and on)

Again, no matter what you choose, you will be fine....

Enjoy the cruise

We have sailed twice with a group of ten.  We had anytime dining and gathered at 8 PM.  Absolutely no problem.  The first night staff seated us at a large table, and that was our table for the rest of the cruises (7 day cruises to Alaska). We got to know our wait staff and they got to know us.  It might be a problem if your group wants to eat earlier, but you can ask.  Late dining seems to always be less crowded than the earlier times. 

Thanks. Great news.  I do understand the service slow down with anytime dining.  Love the comment about knowing who can't decide what to order.  There is always one.  Maybe we can decide on a set time and get the same wait staff.  

I was trying to work my two free nights of specialty dining around the "dressy" nights.  I am not sure the menu is really that much better on those nights to worry about though.  I believe the lobster days are over.  

The larger the party it seems the less issue immediately getting seated. But if you want to make a set "reservation" time for your party to consistently keep throughout your cruise, you could probably explain your situation to the head staff at the MDR. With a group that large they would probably see the advantage of just setting aside a table for your group at your preferred time. 

1 hour ago, hokie_fan said:

I was trying to work my two free nights of specialty dining around the "dressy" nights. 

I'd still try to do that. 

The MDR menu is kicked up a notch on dressy night (escargot & beef filet comes to mind) so for us, that would be preferred to not miss......

If we do specialty/surcharge (which is rare for us), we like the first night......because the MDR is slightly hectic getting all the newbies situated.

Enjoy the cruise!

My husband loves the Escargot.  Good idea on the specialty on the first night. I remember things being more hectic the first night in.  Tamarind out of the gate might disappoint others when we head to the main dining room the next night.  What an amazing experience. Thank you everyone.