Is Grenada a good place to do an on-the-spot taxi tour?

susiesan

I will be visiting Grenada  December 11 and have nothing planned for the stop there. My ship Oceania Marina will be in port from 8:00-11:00pm so I have all day to see the island.

Is Grenada a good port to put together a taxi tour on-the-spot after disembarking the ship? Will there be taxi drivers with signs offering tours of the island? I'm sure they know all the hot spots to visit that the big organized ship tours go to. How much would a 1/2 day tour like this cost for 2 people in a cab? How much is a cab to Grans Anse beach?

19 hours ago, susiesan said:

I will be visiting Grenada  December 11 and have nothing planned for the stop there. My ship Oceania Marina will be in port from 8:00-11:00pm so I have all day to see the island.

Is Grenada a good port to put together a taxi tour on-the-spot after disembarking the ship? Will there be taxi drivers with signs offering tours of the island? I'm sure they know all the hot spots to visit that the big organized ship tours go to. How much would a 1/2 day tour like this cost for 2 people in a cab? How much is a cab to Grans Anse beach?

Pre COVID 

A good half day tour in a private cab for two pax was about $200 total including tip

There was a regular shuttle water taxi from the cruise terminal to Grand Anse Beach @ $4 pp e/w

Purchase one’s water taxi pass from the official kiosk inside the cruise terminal.

During peak season, because of the nature and mentality of many visitors, the sea area opposite the beach around the water taxi jetty (not for the those with mobility concerns) can be considered the Caribbean’s largest urinal.

There are better beach places over the hill away from the Babylon madness of GA (think rows of sardines, noise hustle etc.), to where food/drink is better, prices are lower, with a true Caribbean ambiance and one’s custom is valued and appreciated.  What goes around…..

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Jetty

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

There are better beach places over the hill away from the Babylon madness of GA (think rows of sardines, noise hustle etc.), to where food/drink is better, prices are lower, with a true Caribbean ambiance and one’s custom is valued and appreciated.  What goes around…..

PORT ROYAL: What would be the names of these beaches you recommend going to in place of Grand Anse? I hate crowds.

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

PORT ROYAL: What would be the names of these beaches you recommend going to in place of Grand Anse? I hate crowds.

The nearest two of note, with a great ambiance and the feeling of being in Grenada etc., are on Morne Rouge Bay, being La Plywood and Rockey’s.  Plus “No T’erds”

Check both out on Trip Advisor and make one’s choice.  You’ll not regret it….  A small personal gratuity to the wait staff will be unexpected and welcomed.  A beautiful island with beautiful people.

Have a great day…

32 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The nearest two of note, with a great ambiance and the feeling of being in Grenada etc., are on Morne Rouge Bay, being La Plywood and Rockey’s.  Plus “No T’erds”

Check both out on Trip Advisor and make one’s choice.  You’ll not regret it….  A small personal gratuity to the wait staff will be unexpected and welcomed.  A beautiful island with beautiful people.

Have a great day…

Additional 

One tip… All prices displayed at Plywood are in EC$ not US$
As a quick (near as dam-it) mental conversion to US$,  divide the EC$ by 2 then take off 25%

Grenada is known to occasionally to have a heavy blast of liquid sunshine at the end of the day.  Same with some other islands.

Suggest packing some of those cheap, disposable plastic ponchos, just in case.

• 1 year later...

Several years ago we did a tour with a man called Mandoo (that was his nickname) He was retired from the local police dept then so i expect he is no longer doing tours. I dont remember the cost but remember this being one of the most beautiful islands