Scenic will repeat F&B-focussed river cruises in 2023

Host Jazzbeau

Second seating I can basically eat anything - within reason but on two occasions with Scenic our on board friends had various food challenges and all were met with no problem. On one the chef arranged a culinaire session especially for those on board with diatary  requirements. Although when it comes to wine I for some reason I cannot tolerate the Merlot grape, so we went on the Bordeaux cruise the restaurant manager went above and beyond to sort out a red with the smallest amount of that particular grape in it. I eventually had the choice between three reds during the cruise and all the staff were aware of my shall we say affliction, so embarrassing for a wine lover!

Ive done both of these cruises the south of France one twice, before the special focus they are both excellent trips.

• Like 2

I thought Merlot was required to be the primary grape in most Bordeaux areas, but I just received an offer from Cameron Hughes (https://chwine.com) for their private label California 'Bordeaux style blend' that consists of Malbec 86%, Cabernet Sauvignon 7%, Syrah 5%, Petit Verdot 2%.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought Merlot was required to be the primary grape in most Bordeaux areas, but I just received an offer from Cameron Hughes (https://chwine.com) for their private label California 'Bordeaux style blend' that consists of Malbec 86%, Cabernet Sauvignon 7%, Syrah 5%, Petit Verdot 2%.

California wines are not restricted by regulations about which grape varieties they use, and the Cameron Hughes wine is not a Bordeaux blend as it has Syrah which is not a Bordeaux grape.

There are 6 varieties allowed to be used for Bordeaux red wines, and Bordeaux wines can be made with just one or any proportion blended of the allowed varieties. However, Merlot is the most grown variety by far (because it suits the clay soil that comprises the majority of the Bordeaux appellation).

The six varieties are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petite  Verdot and Carmenere. Most blends use 2 or 3 of the first 3. The is very little Carmenere planted.

(They are trialling some warm climate varieties as a response to global warming, but only a  small amount is allowed to be used in a blend and they can't be named on the label. I don't know if any of these are being used- as it takes at least 3 years from planting till using the grapes I suspect none in wines currently on sale.)

I went on Scenic Bordeaux in August this year and they had non-Bordeaux wines available so finding a wine that didn't include any Merlot was simple

I know all about the Bordeaux regulations, and also that Cameron Hughes is a California negotiant.  My point was that he calls this wine a 'Bordeaux style blend.'

Every cloud has a silver lining.  Perhaps climate change will force some Bordeaux winemakers (especially those hobbled by the faint praise of 'fifth growth') to go the SuperTuscan route.  With the scientific approach to winemaking pioneered by Cal Davis, it should be possible to make better wine by listening to the terroir than by following outmoded regulations.

"First I cannot be, second I will not be – I am Mouton."  This sentiment should be even more persuasive to those at the bottom of the rankings.

But back to the point:  this approach to a 'Bordeaux style blend' is exactly what @Canal archive needs.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:43 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I know all about the Bordeaux regulations

My apologies, I didn't realise that from your post, but it does means we can geek about Bdx, but

this approach to a 'Bordeaux style blend' is exactly what @Canal archive needs.

Should @Canal archive take another Bordeaux tour with Scenic she'll find non-Bordeaux red wines on their list that do not contain Merlot. There are, of course, Bordeaux wines that do not contains Merlot but as Scenic only had inexpensive wines it's unlikely they will list such wines.

My point was that he calls this wine a 'Bordeaux style blend.

🙂There are Califorian wineries that label their fizz as 'champagne', and last time I was in Los Angeles I had a locally made 'chianti', so I can't take a negotiant calling their bottling a Bdx blend, when it patently isn't, anything other than marketing.

it should be possible to make better wine by listening to the terroir

Bdx is pretty good as is, that’s why a US marketeer incorrectly describes his red as a Bordeaux blend, and that’s why Bdx blends are made in many other countries that have no restrictions IMO.

The Bordelaise listened to the terroir and decided the 6 varieties that best suited the terroir. Problem with Petite Verdot is it wouldn't ripen most years. Well it does now, and more is being used and planted and PV makes a very good wine and adds a lot to a blend. 

especially those hobbled by the faint praise of 'fifth growth

Geeking now, but is that really faint praise? Out of more than 2,000 Bordeaux chateaux only 61 chateaux have 1855 Grand Cru classification. Being a 5th growth is higher than 1,940+ others

go the SuperTuscan route.

😁 which include Bordeaux varieties.

Such Fun!!

• Haha 1