Follow up question to - What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

I asked my original question in the linked thread which got a lot of interesting (and expected) responses.

My follow up question on this is if I am going to take the advise of some and try it out and give a good tip on day 1 how do I decide on which bar to do this and which bar tender?    I am sailing on the Voyager next week and have never been on the ship, only my second RCL cruise being on the Serenade previously.

16 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

I asked my original question in the linked thread which got a lot of interesting (and expected) responses.

My follow up question on this is if I am going to take the advise of some and try it out and give a good tip on day 1 how do I decide on which bar to do this and which bar tender?    I am sailing on the Voyager next week and have never been on the ship, only my second RCL cruise being on the Serenade previously.

As I bartender I would suggest you bring some ones and just tip each bartender you visit a little extra.. Seriously, while you "might" get better service by tipping one bartender big on the first day, you might never visit that bar again or it coujd be a different bartender.. save your money and just tip as you go.. 

• Like 2

I agree with tipping as you go. There have been some ships that some bartenders have been better than others, even within the same bar. If they are slow and serve people out of turn then they are less likely to get a tip. If I get there and they remember me and my drink and are more attentive in general I will tip as I go. However at the end of the cruise I will go back and give the best bartenders a bigger tip on the last night.

53 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

That being said, if you really connect with someone, toss some extra coin and you may be surprised.

That was my default way of doing things, I would give my favs extra at the end.  But according to the tip every drink or give big tip at the beginning crowd it seems I was missing out.

6 hours ago, Woody14 said:

That was my default way of doing things, I would give my favs extra at the end.  But according to the tip every drink or give big tip at the beginning crowd it seems I was missing out.

You are overthinking this. 😳 Tip a dollar here or there, at the bars you spend the most time in. You will find bar servers that you click with that you could perhaps tip more at the end of the week. 

• Like 2