Great News for Venice Cruisers

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Update today that contracts have been signed to proceed with new passenger cruise facilities at Fusina/Marghera (not as convenient as Venice/Marittima used to be, but inside the lagoon and therefore more convenient to Venice and to VCE that either Ravenna or Trieste).

Also hope that an old (1930s) canal from Marghera to Venice Marittima can be dredged out to allow cruise ships to enter the lagoon, sail to Marghera, take a right turn and proceed directly to Marittima.  This would be the most convenient possible solution for cruise passengers, even it does not have the romantic Guidecca Canal sail-by of San Marco.

But – big BUT to both pieces of news – the lawsuits can now commence...

• Like 1

Plans may be advanced, but Italian bureaucracy is a whole other ball of wax. Dates, timelines, schedules, etc. - nothing is guaranteed in Italy.

For those of you who have been switched from Trieste to Venice, I am certainly glad, but do not be surprised to see it move back to Trieste - or switched to Ravenna, then back to Venice. Anything is possible in Italy. I am allowed to say this - as my parents are both born in Italy and the majority of my relatives still live there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

I am allowed to say this - as my parents are both born in Italy and the majority of my relatives still live there.

Fuhgedaboudit – that cuts you no ice!  [Even though you are right...]

But, Trieste and (especially) Ravenna are very nice ports in their own right.  Wherever your cruise starts from, make the best of it and you will enjoy!  And if you don't get a taste of Venice on your next cruise, plan a future trip to include several days there so you can get the full flavor.

• Like 1