Uber from LHR to Southampton hotels?

momrox1

We are three older women arriving a day early into LHR. We would like to uber directly from Virgin Atlantic Air which I believe to be terminal 3 to an as yet unbooked hotel in Southampton the day prior to our cruise.  Has anyone done this? I keep reading about Uber strikes etc . I did a mock booking on my uber app and it seems doable and I was surprised my Usa Uber app works in London?    I also looked into the cost of National Express Bus service but for the difference in $$ it seems much more of a hassle.  Looking for the most direct route that will not break the bank.

My immediate thought was that Uber would be more expensive than the usual taxi firms (West Quay and Aquacars) that cruisers use for this trip, but their fare estimate site suggests £125 which is broadly the same. They do, however, make it plain that the price is an estimate, so the actual price may well be higher.

If it was me, I would pre-book with one of the two companies above. They have proven reliability and the price is a quote, not an estimate.

1 hour ago, Bob++ said:

My immediate thought was that Uber would be more expensive than the usual taxi firms (West Quay and Aquacars) that cruisers use for this trip, but their fare estimate site suggests £125 which is broadly the same. They do, however, make it plain that the price is an estimate, so the actual price may well be higher.

If it was me, I would pre-book with one of the two companies above. They have proven reliability and the price is a quote, not an estimate.

I would book a car service in advance as well. And I’ll throw BlackberryCars into the mix. 

On 10/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, Bob++ said:

My immediate thought was that Uber would be more expensive than the usual taxi firms (West Quay and Aquacars) 

Thank you!  I reached out and Aquacars got right back to me with a great quote!  

2 hours ago, momrox1 said:

Thank you!  I reached out and Aquacars got right back to me with a great quote!  

Since you are going to be picked up at LHR, one thing you might want to consider in choosing a car company for booking is where they are based.  And you therefore might want to pick a London-based operator like Blackberrycars.com.   I don't have experience with the other companies you may be looking at, but I do know that Blackberry monitors your flight and adjusts your pickup time accordingly.  (That may be more difficult for a company that is not based in London.)

Last month, our flight from the U.S. to LHR arrived 45 minutes early.  Blackberry had been monitoring this, and their driver was at the airport waiting for us when we arrived early.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

41 minutes ago, Senga said:

Yikes, quite a difference.  Does Aquacar have good reviews?

https://www.aquacars.co.uk/  are one of the three taxi transfer operators at the Southampton end who are most-frequently used by Cruise Critic members, along with  https://westquaycars.com/ and Smith for Airports (closed down during the pandemic travel restrictions).

Blackberry were also popular but this is the second time recently that I've seen a heavy quote from them on Cruise Critic

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1