Port Canaveral--No Tours

nelblu

I have a sail on Anthem in early February and one on Oasis in August 2023 and there are no tours listed for Port Canaveral.  Port Canaveral is not even listed when you pull down the port stops in the excursions section.

Does anyone have any inkling.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been an issue with the tour company that does the KSC guided tours.  We booked one with the drop off at MCO, only to be notified a few months ago the guided part had been canceled.  We can still do a self guided tour with drop at MCO, but no guided tour.  Hopefully they will work it out with the contract tour company before Thanksgiving, but I doubt it.  BTW: no discount on our excursion.  

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

There's been an issue with the tour company that does the KSC guided tours.  We booked one with the drop off at MCO, only to be notified a few months ago the guided part had been canceled.  We can still do a self guided tour with drop at MCO, but no guided tour.  Hopefully they will work it out with the contract tour company before Thanksgiving, but I doubt it.  BTW: no discount on our excursion.  

Back in '19, we did our own excursion ot KSC- took a Lyft there and back.  You can get tickets on line to include any specific thing you want to see.  Had a great time, but were almost late getting back to the ship- there was a capsule being delivered down the road- so we were not even close to the last ones back.

Things to do in the Port Canaveral area: 

- Kennedy Space Center -- don't go unless you have tickets reserved; they do sell out.  

- Ron Jon Surf Shop 

- Airboat ride 

- Animal sanctuary -- can't remember its full name 

- Disney is an hour's drive; with park tickets being $100+, it's not worth going for less than a full day; however, you could visit one of the resorts for a meal or activity, or you could visit Disney Springs.  

16 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Back in '19, we did our own excursion ot KSC- took a Lyft there and back.  You can get tickets on line to include any specific thing you want to see.  Had a great time, but were almost late getting back to the ship- there was a capsule being delivered down the road- so we were not even close to the last ones back.

That could be a possibility, but we also wanted the drop off at MCO and not have to mess with luggage until our late flight.  They still aren't doing guided tours is my understanding or at least RCCL's tour operator isn't allowed too.  

17 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Things to do in the Port Canaveral area: 

- Kennedy Space Center -- don't go unless you have tickets reserved; they do sell out.  

- Ron Jon Surf Shop 

- Airboat ride 

- Animal sanctuary -- can't remember its full name 

- Disney is an hour's drive; with park tickets being $100+, it's not worth going for less than a full day; however, you could visit one of the resorts for a meal or activity, or you could visit Disney Springs.  

We did KSC on Easter and DisneyWorld in October.  The problem was that both were some 1+hours away.  Disney was a rip-off as the park closed at 6PM but charged for a full day.  They had a separate entrance fee for their Halloween spectacular, afterwards.   My DIL had some $500 in Disney $s and were expiring soon.  We go in some 8 rides, and we were lucky.

Do you have any resorts in mind that are close to port.  Also, what is special about Disney Springs and how far for the port.

Also, one of the stops is Miami and not much offering via excursions from Royal.

If Royal could stop at Port Canaveral by 8AM then KSC would be great to do but with what time they arrive you have so little time for KSC it is not worth it. Going to Disney when you factor in the time it takes to get there and back is not worth it. Cocoa Beach is decent so that could be worth it if you never been before. Honestly I would say just look at the stop as another sea day. That is what the majority do. 

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

We did KSC on Easter and DisneyWorld in October.  The problem was that both were some 1+hours away.  Disney was a rip-off as the park closed at 6PM but charged for a full day.  They had a separate entrance fee for their Halloween spectacular, afterwards.   My DIL had some $500 in Disney $s and were expiring soon.  We go in some 8 rides, and we were lucky.

Do you have any resorts in mind that are close to port.  Also, what is special about Disney Springs and how far for the port.

Also, one of the stops is Miami and not much offering via excursions from Royal.

Yes, the distance makes these options less than ideal.  

Disney doesn't keep its park hours a secret, and some days are better values than others!

At the port we've always stayed at Country Inns & Suites, and that's not really a resort. 

Disney Springs is in the Disney complex, so about an hour away?  It's a grouping of stores, restaurants and activities.  No ticket needed.    

Yes it's far to get to Disney. We are WDW veterans, and aren't interested in thrill rides. We are going to go to EPCOT, as the Festival of the arts will be happening. We know our time is limited, but DH and DD did it pre COVID, so we know it can be done.

To some it may be "a waste of money" but it is the only excursion we will do this cruise. To each their own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, the distance makes these options less than ideal.  

Disney doesn't keep its park hours a secret, and some days are better values than others!

At the port we've always stayed at Country Inns & Suites, and that's not really a resort. 

Disney Springs is in the Disney complex, so about an hour away?  It's a grouping of stores, restaurants and activities.  No ticket needed.    

KSC, we did a lot as unlike Disney it's not that spread out and not as much traffic.  At Easter Anthem sail, they also closed at 6PM.

When you described Disney Springs with stores, etc., it reminded of an earlier name something like Lake Buena Vista.  We usually stayed at the Dutch Inn and remember that there was a replica of wooden tall sail ship that was a restaurant.

It also had a back road (before all the constructions) that led us to the Disney Hotels and avoided the transportation center both going and coming.

I guess I'm dating myself.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

When you described Disney Springs with stores, etc., it reminded of an earlier name something like Lake Buena Vista.  We usually stayed at the Dutch Inn and remember that there was a replica of wooden tall sail ship that was a restaurant.

It also had a back road (before all the constructions) that led us to the Disney Hotels and avoided the transportation center both going and coming.

I guess I'm dating myself.

Several years ago Disney Springs was called "Downtown Disney". 

Edited by Lorey2007

On 11/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, VernRDH said:

Excursions are available now. We booked the Disney transfer. 

I was worried for a while when PC wasn't even listed!

We are on the same Anthem sailing as you are in February

The last cruise we took in September was a fiasco for the Disney transfer. They were caught in a traffic accident (not the tour bus but an accident in general). The bus had about a one hour turn-around time. The passengers left at about 1:30pm, delayed in traffic, arrived at 5:00pm and were requested to be onboard the bus by 6:45pm to accommodate the latest boarding time of 8:30pm. They seemed very stressed and unhappy about the situation which they had no control of. I am not blaming anyone. This is a distinct possibility anytime you are trying to sandwich a trip to Disney or Universal in a window of three hours onsite. To me, way too much stress. I will stay onboard and enjoy.

• Like 1