12 night Koningsdam Alaska Cruise Tour May 27, 2023

chisoxfan

Hello. We have done the 7 day Westerdam cruise to Alaska some years ago (our only Alaska cruise) and a 7 night Eurodam. While we mostly cruise on X with some MSC and Princess thrown in we really like HAL and always look at this option.

Anyway, very intrigued by the upcoming subject cruise as a way to experience Alaska better. I called HAL and they were less than helpful so I thought I would go to where the knowledge really lies- CC. 

I am seeking any brief comments regarding the land/ sea HAL Alaska travel others have experienced . HAL told me everything (air fare within tour and returning to Seattle ) was included. Is this on charter planes and is this in fact accurate?

Can anyone comment on the lodging that HAL uses in Alaska. Are you given any choices as to accommodations?

While this trip seems ideal to see 'more' of Alaska we are just trying to get a feel of what to expect. I am excited to try a newer HAL ship but obviously most of the trip is on land so perhaps the ship is not critical. Noordam makes a similar trip but it is really attractive for us to leave from Seattle as we can use many existing WN points.

Many thanks in advance for your comments!

Just a quick comment from someone who actually lives in Alaska -- consider doing the land portion of your trip as a DIY trip.  Those cruise tours are a "one size fits all" concept which means they aren't tailored to your specific interests.  

Also be cautious of any trip which includes Denali National Park until the road is repair is completed.  The single road into DNP was closed in August 2021 at an area called Pretty Rocks (approximately mile 42) due to ice rich land melting and moving down the face of a mountain.  So the shuttle buses can't reach Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66).

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Just a quick comment from someone who actually lives in Alaska -- consider doing the land portion of your trip as a DIY trip.  Those cruise tours are a "one size fits all" concept which means they aren't tailored to your specific interests.  

Also be cautious of any trip which includes Denali National Park until the road is repair is completed.  The single road into DNP was closed in August 2021 at an area called Pretty Rocks (approximately mile 42) due to ice rich land melting and moving down the face of a mountain.  So the shuttle buses can't reach Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66).

Thanks for chiming in. We are considering just that (booking a specific land tour) where we will have more 'control' over land portion and accommodations.