Carnival website screwup..... didn't get charged correct amount for excursions

groundloop

Here's a new one...... Carnival's website screwed up and has given me nearly free excursions.  

I booked three excursions for my wife and myself, total price was $505.  At checkout I used $200 of OBC, so the remaining to be paid was $305, for which I entered 4 gift card numbers.  On the payment page it showed all the gift card information correctly etc.  Once I hit "Finalize Payment" I got an error message telling me that the amount I'd paid didn't equal the total price, but it wouldn't let me go back.

On the cruise planner page of my account it shows those excursions as being paid for, yet when I checked the balance on those gift cards it only shows that a total of $105 was used from them.  ALSO, on the booking summary PDF it shows those excursions as paid for, plus it still shows me having $200 of OBC...... So it appears that I got $505 worth of excursions for $105.

I called Carnival to try and straighten this out but the person I spoke to at the excursion "help" line just told me to keep an eye on things because he couldn't make any changes etc. and that since the excursions were showing up in my planner I was "probably" ok.  

I'm guessing that nobody else has ever run into a similar problem.  

Wow! Hope it works in your favor! You tried to tell them, but sometimes they just don't understand how to fix it, and let it go. I'm sure they have plenty of errors that go the other way, so it balances out.

And while not with Carnival, we had a similar situation with The Container Store. About 20 years ago, we did a 2nd floor addition with all new closets. We were doing the custom Elfa products for the kids closets, which meant having things pre-cut to specific dimensions. So we called in advance (we had 2 year old twins at the time, so didn't want to stand around waiting in the store), and placed our order for like $400 worth of pieces. We gave them our credit card and they charge it all. Once we got there, we had to still go through the checkout line, because we picked up a few small items. They then went through our phone-in order, checking over things, and confirming we had everything that we had charged. I still to this day, have no idea what they did, but for some reason, they issued a refund for the entire order! We noticed it on our credit card statement a month later, but when we reached out, they had no record of the refund on their end! So we did try, but they had no answer either. LOL!

We recently had a couple similar incidents. We ordered a single item, paid for a single item, and they sent us a carton of 6 of the item. I contacted them, and they said they had no way for me to send them back the 5 extra, and i should just keep it. 

Another time I ordered something. Never shows up, and after a month shipping company stated it was lost. Seller gave me a refund.  Two months later it suprisingly shows up. I contacted seller and they said they was no way for then to charge me for it, and that I should just keep it. 

It seems it's worth it for a lot of businesses to just eat the loss than try to fix the problem in the computer. 

I've learned to document these types of issues. If you make calls to try to correct something that is in your favor or not in your favor, document all efforts just in case you are called upon to become responsible for any penalties or if, in this case, the excursions are canceled due to supposedly non payment.

I had an issue with booking my CCL trip through AARP/Expedia. I began by keeping a record of all conversations with Expedia (of which their were many. Names of each person I spoke with each time including dates and times of the day) then called AARP with all my information. Got the problem solved with an apology from Expedia. 

Notes I make during each conversation were so valuable, jogging my memory... made for a positive outcome.