opinions on which cruise

khrivnak

So far, I've been on Pride twice, the Liberty and just got off the Spirit.  Looking to book our next cruise and wanting to ask avid cruisers opinions on these two cruises.  Interested in which you would choose, pros/cons of ship choice and pros/cons of ports.  

Which cruise would you take and why:

1) 10/8/23 cruise out of Miami, 7 days.  Carnival Celebration.  $292/pp.  Ports:  Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas.

2) 10/14/22 cruise out of Galveston, 7 days.  Carnival Vista.  $274/pp.  Ports:  Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.  

7 minutes ago, khrivnak said:

Are any of these ports ones you'd stay away from?  and is the Vista "too old"?  Just looking for justification to the group as to the "why" this cruise was suggested over the other

The Vista is certainly not "too old," but the Celebration is brand new. So new that it hasn't actually sailed yet.

Cozumel is nice, but is such an overdone port IMO. Many people aren't crazy over Jamaica in general. Grand Cayman is great.

But I'd definitely take San Juan and St. Thomas over those ports. Amber Cove is okay, but that wouldn't be my reason for choosing the Celebration.

• Like 1

Thanks!  We were drawn to the Celebration one, but was told that with that many people, wait times for shows are hours long.  That's what had us hesitating and looking at other dates as well.  I very much appreciate your input.

Hi 🙂

Definitely Carnival Celebration. Because of the superior ports.

However, and this can be a huge however.....Carnival has been canceling Puerto Rico lately, and also canceling Puerto Rico on sailings a year from now, replacing the port with Nassau.

If you take away Puerto Rico from Celebration's itinerary, replace it with Nassau, that only leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth and St Thomas as the only superior port.

It's a gamble. I certainly would not count on Celebration going to Puerto Rico. As much as I rather sail on the Celebration itinerary that you listed, I would choose the Carnival Vista voyage because Carnival & Puerto Rico are far too unstable at this point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi 🙂

Definitely Carnival Celebration. Because of the superior ports.

However, and this can be a huge however.....Carnival has been canceling Puerto Rico lately, and also canceling Puerto Rico on sailings a year from now, replacing the port with Nassau.

If you take away Puerto Rico from Celebration's itinerary, replace it with Nassau, that only leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth and St Thomas as the only superior port.

It's a gamble. I certainly would not count on Celebration going to Puerto Rico. As much as I rather sail on the Celebration itinerary that you listed, I would choose the Carnival Vista voyage because Carnival & Puerto Rico are far too unstable at this point.

Now THIS is why I posted.  This would change things tremendously.  I have been to Nassau and really didnt care for it.  I try to steer clear of all Nassau/Freeport cruises.  

Is the Vista a half decent ship?  (Spirit was WAY too small and did appear understaffed and weathered). 

Does anyone know why they're changing the Puerto Rico stops?  

• Like 1

Personally, we love the Vista and are going on it a 3rd time coming up very soon.  It is a new ship, gorgeous top to bottom.  Much fancier than the ships you have been on previously.  As for the ports, all ports are good either way.  Yes, the Celebration will be the NEWEST ship.  We have been to all of those ports so it just depends what you like to do in port.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, khrivnak said:

Now THIS is why I posted.  This would change things tremendously.  I have been to Nassau and really didnt care for it.  I try to steer clear of all Nassau/Freeport cruises.  

Is the Vista a half decent ship?  (Spirit was WAY too small and did appear understaffed and weathered). 

Does anyone know why they're changing the Puerto Rico stops?  

Found this online:

https://usa.detailzero.com/world/53543/21-Carnival-Mardi-Gras-cruise-stops-canceled-in-San-Juan.html

• Like 1

We have been to and pretty love each one of those ports so destination would be pretty much equal for us.  Truthfully I dont think you can go wrong with either ship and would probably personally choose Celebration only because we have not sailed her yet.  We like the bigger ships and newer is good too for us so I guess the only negative for us would be the embarkation port.  We would choose Miami as we really do not care for Galveston at all (personal choice).  Good Luck! 

3 hours ago, khrivnak said:

Thanks!  We were drawn to the Celebration one, but was told that with that many people, wait times for shows are hours long.  That's what had us hesitating and looking at other dates as well.  I very much appreciate your input.

It appears that Carnival is alternating the Mardi Gras and Celebration in Puerto Rico instead of outright canceling all calls there. It was canceled on my Mardi Gras sailing next October, but the ship is still going to Puerto Rico the week before and after. I think the port can't handle 2 large ships at once with the upcoming renovations.

But of course any of this could change.