kirribilli_20221107_1157_01.thumb.jpeg.6d15a828d3cdd4f7408a5fbf78ccbaa1.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1158_01.thumb.jpeg.b6b239050f1f91d65858a2e7ac29423a.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1159_01.thumb.jpeg.9e9d6e97abe352b338de989545bf1332.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1159_01.thumb.jpeg.9e9d6e97abe352b338de989545bf1332.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1200_01.thumb.jpeg.010fef7a8d5e27bacdc0c9146d1a6879.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1201_01.thumb.jpeg.b38f487b48ab80beafbb61a006da62a8.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1202_01.thumb.jpeg.9eb6da4dbe6ff0afbdc358fc81eef61e.jpeg

kirribilli_20221107_1204_01.thumb.jpeg.8e43a500772e4582d83c948e4557533b.jpeg

Thanks for the beautiful photos of Westerdam's arrival with bright blue skies.  What time was the arrival?

I wonder what's going on with HAL in Australia? Some of the last minute prices are really quite incredible for a quality line. 

For example the 6 Dec departure on Westerdam for 2 weeks around NZ to Auckland is only $1989pp for a balcony room ($3290 solo - also quite incredible). That's with no drinks/wifi...but still! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I wonder what's going on with HAL in Australia? Some of the last minute prices are really quite incredible for a quality line. 

For example the 6 Dec departure on Westerdam for 2 weeks around NZ to Auckland is only $1989pp for a balcony room ($3290 solo - also quite incredible). That's with no drinks/wifi...but still! 

Competition from Carnival's Luminosa, based in Brisbane, which is now on its inaugural cruise to Great Barrier Reef.  This is good for Aussies and Kiwis, who haven't had serious competition before.  Now they will be able to cruise more often like Americans, 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Competition from Carnival's Luminosa, based in Brisbane, which is now on its inaugural cruise to Great Barrier Reef.  This is good for Aussies and Kiwis, who haven't had serious competition before.  Now they will be able to cruise more often like Americans, 

I wonder if it changes the equation a bit regarding booking early. I've noticed similar with almost every line to the end of this year. It may be a Covid related booking delay (both passports and general reluctance). But used to be for the summer season you'd almost never do well leaving it till the last minute. 

1 minute ago, adelaidefc said:

I wonder if it changes the equation a bit regarding booking early. I've noticed similar with almost every line to the end of this year. It may be a Covid related booking delay (both passports and general reluctance). But used to be for the summer season you'd almost never do well leaving it till the last minute. 

You do now!  They can't fill the ships from Brisbane.  Passengers are currently booking Christmas, New Year and school holiday 2022 cruises at discount prices.  There are a number of reasons - they advertised availability of cruises late and people had other plans - people no longer have passports letting them lapse due to Covid (I don't) - delay in reissuing passports for passengers on overseas cruises, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

So when our ship leaves Sydney  do I want to be standing on the right side (forward facing)of the ship  so I can see the Opera House as we go past?

Sort of.

When you first back out from the terminal, it is 15 minutes till you will start to go forward. For that part, the views are better if you are on the other side and aft. When the ship starts cruising forward, swap sides.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, MMDown Under said:

Not really because of Luminosa, but more cabins than passengers overall.

Westerdam was also a late inclusion here, as she was originally meant to be cruising in Asia. One extra Dam ship is one too many for HAL this season. 

13 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Westerdam departing Sydney on 23 November.  A nice evening to go boating.... 

Westerdam 23.11.22. .jpg

Westerdam 23.11.22 .jpg

It sure was 😄

Perfect conditions and the captain opened up the bow for passengers (surprisingly few people out there).

Overnight was quite smooth with the occasional few bumps.  This morning we've arrived to a picture perfect early morning in Eden.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Sort of.

When you first back out from the terminal, it is 15 minutes till you will start to go forward. For that part, the views are better if you are on the other side and aft. When the ship starts cruising forward, swap sides.

Ok.  

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

It sure was 😄

Perfect conditions and the captain opened up the bow for passengers (surprisingly few people out there).

Overnight was quite smooth with the occasional few bumps.  This morning we've arrived to a picture perfect early morning in Eden.

Just love it when captains open up the bow for passengers to better enjoy the experience.  I'm surprised you enjoyed smooth weather conditions after all the bad weather publicity in that area.  Enjoy Eden on a picture perfect morning.