Free WiFi question

Cruiser1862

I have the free 150 minute package for an 11 night cruise. Several sea days and foreign ports. Only 2 days out of those 11 can I use my phone to call home. (American ports)

I have a family member that I have to check in on daily for a 10 minute maximum call. We usually do it through FT Messenger or can use WhatsApp. 

I keep reading that it takes time to load and your minutes are being wasted. If I go down to the computer help desk (Internet Cafe) will they help me? Will that save some of my minutes being wasted?  I’m definitely needy when it comes to electronics. 

in your honest opinion, will I have enough minutes?  I have no need to use WiFi for any other purpose. 

Thank you!

Ok maybe I need to reword this to get someone to respond!

I am worried I won’t have enough of the “free” WiFi because I read horrible stories that it takes people many wasted minutes to get “on”.  I was wondering if 

1) is this true?  Any hints to help me?
2) is going to the pros at the Internet cafe worthwhile?

Thank you

first off, it'll be at least minute for minute you're on the call. I've used WhatsApp at sea before and it does a better job than wifi calling imo. 

The "wasted" minutes might be time to get on, but also just ringing the other side and waiting for them to pick up. 

If all you do is these 2 10 minute calls, then i think you will have enough time. 

THe thing is to make sure you logout after your calls, which the internet cafe folks can show you, or logoff.com

If you can just text and are an iPhone (not sure if it works for Samsung) but using just the free Wi-Fi like for the app. You can send text. We checked in with family everyday via text (iPhone to iPhone) without having to log into our Wi-Fi minutes. Might be an option to alternate with calls or Wi-Fi in ports. 

I think 150 minutes will be fine. I don't have horror stories - honestly, I am able to do everything I want (check Facebook, email, Twitter, NY Times) in about eight minutes using the ship's Wi-Fi. Since you're making daily ten minute phone calls, you might have some lag, but I bet you'll be ok. 

You can always just get the unlimited plan, or increase your minutes, but I truly think you'll be alright.

Good luck!

@Cruiser1862 - Among the key elements to remember to best manage your free 150 minutes on a cruise ship, is to always sign-out or log-off your inTERnet account, after you successfully connect or login or signed into your user account.  The iCafe is just a small section right next to the corridor to/from the MDR (Deck 7 AFT) and they should have a printed FAQ guide to show you the "how to".  Each time you connect and/or disconnect, you'll be using a minute of airtime, maybe 2 at most - and, usage is rounded up - for metering / usage purposes - to the next full minute ... They aren't really "wasted minutes" but overheads, not that much different from signing into online account elsewhere by clicking or selecting the userid's, password and sometimes a slight wait for authentications or portal's "handshake" - typically, it will take you, once connected, to the default browser's URL, i.e. msn dot com

Mid-ship NCL ship's WiFi aren't fast but not really slow either, sufficiently fast to support VoIP calls, WhatsApp and FB Messenger video/voice calling over WiFi ... just have a backup method established and test it while still in port before sailaway, to verify & test out to assure it's working, or, go to the iCafe desk to ask for help or troubleshoot.  

Typically, on the last 2 days - they will advertise and offer a time-limited specials, 30 minutes and/or 60 minutes to use, as extra add-on ... You can use available non-refundable OBC to buy that, if you are low on the 150 free minutes.  SMS or text messaging generally works well when connected.  Otherwise, I concur with others that feel your existing allowance of minutes should suffice.  Happy cruising !