Need help cruising out of Galveston

lucy2mb

We will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time this coming spring and will be flying down the day before our cruise. We have our flight tickets to Houston Bush International.  Would it be best to get a hotel near the airport with free shuttle and then buy round trip shuttle to the port? I have read about the traffic being bad.   If we stay near the port, we will have to pay shuttle from airport to hotel and then pay for getting to the port and then back to the airport.  What is the least expensive way to do it?  We have 6 in our family going.  Would appreciate help with hotel also.   Thank you for your help!

10 hours ago, lucy2mb said:

We will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time this coming spring and will be flying down the day before our cruise. We have our flight tickets to Houston Bush International.  Would it be best to get a hotel near the airport with free shuttle and then buy round trip shuttle to the port? I have read about the traffic being bad.   If we stay near the port, we will have to pay shuttle from airport to hotel and then pay for getting to the port and then back to the airport.  What is the least expensive way to do it?  We have 6 in our family going.  Would appreciate help with hotel also.   Thank you for your help!

You might wish to consider the Marriott - Airport.  We've stayed there.  Not a bad hotel.  Best thing is there is a tramway that services the airport and the hotel so there is no fee.  You could also consider a cruise line shuttle which will pick  you up at the airport and deliver you to the port.  These shuttles only run on embarkation day.

Here's a link that discusses other alternatives that  you might find useful.

https://www.cruisehive.com/how-to-travel-from-houston-to-galveston-cruise-port/31640

I haven't found any hotels with free or otherwise shuttles from/to the airport and Galveston.  It's 70 miles to IAH.  You may find this useful.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/category/port-of-departure/galveston/

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You might wish to consider the Marriott - Airport.  We've stayed there.  Not a bad hotel.  Best thing is there is a tramway that services the airport and the hotel so there is no fee.  You could also consider a cruise line shuttle which will pick  you up at the airport and deliver you to the port.  These shuttles only run on embarkation day.

Here's a link that discusses other alternatives that  you might find useful.

https://www.cruisehive.com/how-to-travel-from-houston-to-galveston-cruise-port/31640

I haven't found any hotels with free or otherwise shuttles from/to the airport and Galveston.  It's 70 miles to IAH.  You may find this useful.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/category/port-of-departure/galveston/

Thank you for the information.  I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I meant free shuttle from Bush International to an airport hotel.  In your opinion, should we stay at a hotel at the airport the night before the cruise and get transportation to cruise port the next day.   I don't want to worry about traffic and being late to the port.  I know some people say get closer to the port the night before but then we have to pay for transportation to hotel, then to port and back to airport after cruise.  I hope that all made sense.

1 hour ago, lucy2mb said:

Thank you for the information.  I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I meant free shuttle from Bush International to an airport hotel.  In your opinion, should we stay at a hotel at the airport the night before the cruise and get transportation to cruise port the next day.   I don't want to worry about traffic and being late to the port.  I know some people say get closer to the port the night before but then we have to pay for transportation to hotel, then to port and back to airport after cruise.  I hope that all made sense.

There are any number of chain hotels/motels near IAH (Intercontinental Airport Houston) with free shuttles between the hotels and the airport. Be aware that this isn't the greatest neighborhood, although not the worst. Check out Google maps to see which hotels have places to eat next door as you don't want to have to walk far.

1 hour ago, lucy2mb said:

Actually, I'm still trying to decide on whether to stay near the airport or travel to the cruise port the night before embarkation.   I'm also struggling with flying or driving.  

If I decide to stay in Houston, I will stay at the Mariott.  If I decide to travel to Galveston, I will stay at the Tremont or the Harbor House.

Yes, that makes sense but as I pointed out, the Airport Marriott is in the airport.  The airport tram is free.  Takes you from the baggage claim to he Marriott.

When I cruised Princess we booked a room through Princess which was at the Marriott.  Princess shuttle picked us up there and dropped us at the port.  We booked a transfer back to the airport through Princess too.  Actually, it was a bus tour of Houston which ended at the airport.  Fairly interesting way to kill time.  

BTW, if you're thinking about taking a cruise line shuttle back to the airport, most cruise lines won't take your booking if your flight leaves before 1:30 or later.

As one of the links I posted pointed out, if  your're on a cruise line transfer to the port, they're not going to leave without you.  That should ease some of  your worries.

Of course the cruise line transfers are per person.  Depending on the size of  your party, that can get expensive.  I've seen prices at around $60 PP.  A private shuttle might be cheaper.

Some hotels in the Galveston area will provide shuttles to the port.  You'll need to check.  Also the Tremont and Harbor House are within a half mile walk.

Edited by RocketMan275