Drink package costs

shipshape sam

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Will look up your choices for carry on wines.  We do like Decoy and Decoy runs just under $20/bottle here in Georgia.  They had Decoy on our Alaska trip in 2019 which is a long time ago and things can change in a week.  They did run out of Decoy by day 4/5. Never tried Austin Hope 2019 or Caymus  or CK Mondavi.  

Caymus is overpriced and overrated. Austin Hope has better reviews very smooth cab. Great with steak or prime rib. The CK Mondavi is on the basic package but many guests who had premium preferred it according to what the sommelier told me.  Also Freemark Abbey which you can get per bottle onboard is excellent.  It runs about $80 maybe slightly more. I had 2 gifted to me in my cabin. 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:29 AM, drakes2 said:

Save yourself a few bucks and skip the beverage package. The so called premium wines were not fit to be called premium and I personally don't believe its related to a supply chain issue. Celebrity is just not contracting better wines since covid. Been on 4 cruises since and have yet to get some decent wines.  I bring on 2 rather pricey wines one is Austin Hope the 2019 release far superior to Caymus IMO and they could not even get Caymus in October even though it was listed by the bottle price.  Same for Decoy ran out half way through the cruise so substituted CK Mondavi. 

Maybe it depends on the ship...Reflection in April wine poor to fair at best, Edge in July the wine was excellent. It is not a supply chain issue its saving money maybe each ship has its own Food and Beverage Manager who makes the decisions. This started long before the covid but I still take the premium beverage package just for the convenience. When my wife and I travel alone we get a suite so it comes with the package anyway. I always drank bold cabs but on the Edge the wine stewart interoduced me to some great red blends that I also enjoyed.  Life is short I plan on spending my money and not saving it for my kids.

ps. 2 bottles of wine would last us maybe 1 day.

Edited by southernbreezes

35 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

Maybe it depends on the ship...Reflection in April wine poor to fair at best, Edge in July the wine was excellent. It is not a supply chain issue its saving money maybe each ship has its own Food and Beverage Manager who makes the decisions. This started long before the covid but I still take the premium beverage package just for the convenience. When my wife and I travel alone we get a suite so it comes with the package anyway. I always drank bold cabs but on the Edge the wine stewart interoduced me to some great red blends that I also enjoyed.  Life is short I plan on spending my money and not saving it for my kids.

ps. 2 bottles of wine would last us maybe 1 day.

If you like red blends try the Prisoner I had a sample as my local wine store last week and quite surprised.  I've had the beverage package 2x and while it was convenient for the Aspen coffees which I love and sparkling water with dinner I wasn't keen on their wine list. I purchase fairly pricey wines at home and bring a couple onboard. Usually cruise solo most times so can't consume a bottle a night not good for my liver anyway.  My kids also said to enjoy my life and money so that's what I'm doing.  Sky princess in January and a 15 night TA in April with my sister. We each have our own cabins and no supplement on that one so had to pay double.