Miami as port of call

jewel_beth

I am having difficulty finding info on Miami as port of call.  

Hubby & I want to see south beach, little Havana, and Wynwood Walls.  Open to other must see opinions.  

In port 9-5 (so really probably until 3:30-4).  I know RCCL leaves from dock A.  Is that also where they would dock while in port?

What would be best way to do this?  Thinking about hop on/hop off but reviews are lousy and we’d still have to get to the start (Uber?taxi? Trolley?)

Don’t really want bus tour that we can’t leave and explore on own.  Would renting a car make sense?  Heard parking can be hard?  Would love suggestions.

Thanks.

Don't bother renting a car.  You heard right - parking can be hard unless you want to pay a fortune to park in a public garage.  Uber would probably be your best bet.  Getting to South Beach from the port is fairly close - the causeway runs next to the port so mileage wise, it's not that far.  Coconut Grove and Coral Gables both have trolleys.  Don't believe the reviews.  They are there for the tourists. I don't see the draw to Little Havana.  It's a pretty run down area on 8th Street that I wouldn't bother with.

It doesn't matter what dock they use on a port visit (as opposed to disembarking/embarking visit). It will depend on what is available. For example, if another RCI ship is there offloading and loading pax, (ending/starting a cruise) most likely that ship will use A. The decision will be made a week or so in advance by the port. 

Miami is not a common port for port visits.

It's tough to go to all three locations in such a short amount of time. I would pick one location and spend the day there. My pick would be to spend the day in South Beach. Cab or Uber over to South Beach. Walk on the beach, head over to one of the restaurants for drinks and a wonderful lunch. Hop on a cab for the short ride back to the Port Of Miami.

You can Uber around, that will be the fastest and likely not that much more than a Hop-On hop off ticket and rental car would take too much time. 

South Beach in the morning to see the architecture and beach, I would not really recommend the need to eat there. Head to Little Havana for Lunch and a quick walk around, then you would have time to see Wynwood Walls and that area a bit. But not a ton of time. If a week-day give yourself 40-mins to get back tot he port though it should only take around 20-mins from Wynwood area.