When exactly should we consider it to be Spring Break to be avoided?

ontheweb

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Same for me at UC Davis (early 70's).  

And the University of California System is no small entity. Plus, there are numerous other major university systems (i.e., some with hundreds of thousands of enrolled students) that utilize other than the traditional 4/4 semesters (and have done so for as long [or close to] what I originally posted) found most readily at some community college or private college campuses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Funny you say this is not the correct forum, then talk at length.  You seem to draw some very strange conclusions from my comment.   

As you say, back to the topic.  I understood the earlier comments to imply the semester system was outdated.  I think that is inaccurate.   Thanks for clarifying that your real objection is based on someone calling a semester 14 instead of 15 weeks.   

I think you’d find that most contemporary higher ed. organizational consultants, if given an opportunity to propose efficacious alternatives to 4/4, would prefer other arrangements with far greater flexibility. Of course, some faculty opposition would be a certainty. However, that (“don’t change anything”) attitude is often defended as doing what’s best for the “body of knowledge” without any understanding that there’s also a “business of knowledge.”

End of my commentary with apologies to all who have been bored.

• Like 1

If you’re going to sail on a ship that is geared towards families I’m not sure it really matters since so many people take their kids out of school now days for vacation. When my son was in college their spring break always started the first weekend in March. My daughters college coincides with St Patrick’s Day. When they were younger our school districts spring break always included the last Monday in March. Our neighbor is a teacher in a district where their spring break always starts on Good Friday, so usually early April. So it’s all over the map. We always cruised over spring break. On cruises of 7 days on large ships there were always lots of kids. Cruises on smaller ships or 8 days or more, not so many. YMMV