How long embarkation takes?

yellow-submarine

Hi All,

Trying to plan our own excursions (Caribbean). I have been told by MSC customer service that embarkation and disembarkation each take 2 hours. So that means if the ship is 10 hours at the port you have only 6 hours on shore. Is this correct? What is you experience with embarkation and disembarkation duration at port of calls?

Also been told at the departure port the check-in gates closes at latest 4 hours before departure. That sounds nuts, what takes 4 hours?

Edited by yellow-submarine

I think you may have a miscommunication in your question and answers.

Embarkation on the first day, to check in and board could take 2 hours and you need to be at check in 4 hours before departure. 

Once you are sailing and you arrive at your destination ports it doesn't take 2 hours. It will depend how busy it is when you are getting off and then return to the ship, it could be 10 minutes or it could be 30 minutes. Depends how many people are getting off at that port at the same time you choose too. You need to be back onboard 1 hour before your sail away time. 

So if the ship is in port from 9am, you could safely assume you'll be off by 9.30am. If the ship is listed to sail at 5pm, you must be back on by 4pm. If you're planning independent excursions, definitely allow extra time to return and be onboard before the sail away time. The ship will not wait for you unless you're on a ship excursion. 

I think the information you've been given related to first Embarkation and final disembarkation, not port stops, which I think is what you were actually asking. 

• Like 3

Thank you both. Yes I meant boarding. Yes, 1 hour makes sense at port of calls.

@CruisingFox27 If check-in and boarding takes 2 hours at embarkation why are they closing check-in desk 4h before departure? In fact MSC told me that it closes 4h before and advised me to be there 6h before departure which is nuts. 

I know that they give time slots for boarding but that was introduced because of covid and I heard that they don't really enforce it anymore. I do count with flight delays and traffics and so on but if we add excessive safety margin on everything than have to fly in a day before (...and set a camp at the cruise terminal, just in case 😋)

2 hours ago, yellow-submarine said:

If check-in and boarding takes 2 hours at embarkation why are they closing check-in desk 4h before departure?

It's likely because the muster drill has to be completed before departure.  So they want you on board and settled in before they start running the drills.  My understanding is that only once drills are complete can the ship leave port.

Getting off in ports generally takes longer than getting back on.   It has never taken me more the 15 minutes to get back on usually it is just a few minutes, the only real hold up is going through security.  Delays in getting off are just volume, however the cruise lines try to stagger their excursions to ease this.     Now if your tendering it is a whole different situation.

1 hour ago, yellow-submarine said:

Thank you both. It is really helpful. Muster drill is a good point however I can imagine that taking 2 hours.

The muster drill is completed by watching a two/three minute video from your cabin.  You then go to your muster station and get checked in.  Whole process is done in minutes.  

5 hours ago, yellow-submarine said:

I know that they give time slots for boarding but that was introduced because of covid and I heard that they don't really enforce it anymore. I do count with flight delays and traffics and so on but if we add excessive safety margin on everything than have to fly in a day before (...and set a camp at the cruise terminal, just in case 😋)

If you are coming in from the UK for a Caribbean cruise I would STRONGLY recommend that fly in a day before.  That ship is leaving with or without you and there is a lot of uncertainly with air travel as of late.

7 hours ago, yellow-submarine said:

Thank you both. Yes I meant boarding. Yes, 1 hour makes sense at port of calls.

@CruisingFox27 If check-in and boarding takes 2 hours at embarkation why are they closing check-in desk 4h before departure? In fact MSC told me that it closes 4h before and advised me to be there 6h before departure which is nuts. 

Regardless of where you're coming from, fly in a day early.  I personally know people who missed the ship due to flight issues and it is especially bad now with a shortage of pilots and flights being routinely cancelled.

* Sorry that was a typo. I meant I can`t imagine the muster drill taking 2 hours.

Yeah that's the thing it is more risky to fly with Air France. Oh man they like to go on strikes, the pilots or the air traffic controllers, or the ground stuffs or anyone in the chain, it is a national sport there.

So planning to fly to the island via US but there are no flights every day. So also considering to skip the embarkation port and fly to the next island (and request special embarkation). Just wanted to know all the parameters before making a decision. 

I too, would always recommend arriving into a different county to embark the day before. In Europe embarkation happens in many ports of the cruise but from posts I've seen, its not regularly permitted on USA/Caribbean itineraries. I'd be very sure to check this would be allowed on your itinerary. 

I don't know exactly what the processes are once passengers are checked in but they do have to be sure everyone is on, luggage etc and file a passenger manifesto. I would imagine there are quite a lot of official and logistical things to deal with, they couldn't risk thousands of passengers turning up to check in 2 hours prior to sailing. 

I've never really thought about arriving at the last minute, the sooner I'm onboard the better 😀