Alternate to Vladivostok?

asebastian

On 11/26/2022 at 12:18 AM, asebastian said:

Hi all,

In the itinerary of our next cruise in Japan, Vladivostok was listed as a port of call. However. due to the current situation with Russia, we're expecting this port call to disappear and possibly another one in Japan substituted.

Would anyone hazard a guess what port that would be, possibly in the northern part of Japan? Or would we be getting an additional sea day? Anyone had Vladivostok cancelled before?

Thanks

Depends on the cruise, my cruise substituted Sochi SK and also added one more port in Japan. I have seen other trips where they added Busan SK.

The best way to tell is to log in to Holland's site and bring up your cruise. It should show the updated itinerary.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:40 PM, USN59-79 said:

Interesting that those of us on the 10 April Westerdam cruise received an email from HAL on 9 August notifying us of the change from Vladivostok to Buson.  They have yet to notify us if we need to apply for an ETA visa for Korea.  Was that mentioned in your itinerary change to Sokcho?

Ray

Yes you do.

Message fri US site.

Message for U.S. Citizens: Korea Electronic Travel Authorization Required as of September 1 - U.S. Embassy & Consulate in the Republic of Korea (usembassy.gov)

Link to visa site

South Korea ETA | South Korea ETA Official Application (enjoykr-tourist.com)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:40 PM, USN59-79 said:

Interesting that those of us on the 10 April Westerdam cruise received an email from HAL on 9 August notifying us of the change from Vladivostok to Buson.  They have yet to notify us if we need to apply for an ETA visa for Korea.  Was that mentioned in your itinerary change to Sokcho?

Ray

No mention of a visa being needed.  It would have been nice it HAL did say one way or another.

Have you looked into whether you need a visa to visit South Korea?  Fortunately for me our cruise is still nine months away. 

On 11/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I'm on the itinerary already mentioned above where Busan (South Korea) is substituted for Vladivostok. Frankly, after researching it, I never thought Vladivostok had that much to offer. I'm much more excited about going to Busan.

Vladivostok is a physically stunning harbor, gold spired Russian orthodox domes, classical old Russian buildings, great tourism market for Russian style items, close to the very start of the Trans-Siberian Railway, with its old impressive terminal building. Good shore excursion is to take a short ride on the train and see the country side.

Stunning new opera house with a very impressive programming from St Petersburg.  Money is coming into this remote area from oil development,  and its  Russia Far East cities are getting attention. Yes, plenty of old run-down Soviet Russia too, but a city that should not be missed when in the area - and it is doable. Which currently it is not, obviously.

https://vladivostok.travel/en/todo/opera-and-ballet-theater/

Busan is more of a stretch -but again more far afield shore excursions can turn up interesting locales and gardens. We liked all our stops in South Korea -they have a very nice aesthetic in this relatively modern country. But carefully preserved and presented historical spots as well.  Very unique history to add to one's collection of "Asian" countries.

Edited by OlsSalt

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

No mention of a visa being needed.  It would have been nice it HAL did say one way or another.

Have you looked into whether you need a visa to visit South Korea?  Fortunately for me our cruise is still nine months away. 

As of today it appears to be required.  Looks like it is inexpensive and easy to get online, so I will wait a couple of months and apply for it.  What gripes me is the lack of info from HAL and on their website.  When you click on visas on the check in pages, you get a couple of paragraphs of blather that basically says "some countries require visas so you should check to see if you need one".

Ray

• Thanks 1

I visited South Korea in October, 2022. I did not need a visa. I did require a Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA). It's an app you download on your phone. You complete the application using the app which requires a scan of your passport. (A picture of your passport works, but you will have to downsize the resolution to upload the file.) Someone reviews the application and sends you an approval.

I could not check into my flight to Korea at the San Francisco airport until I had a K-ETA authorization. Luckily, it took only an hour. But don't wait. Download the app and submit your application. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

41 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I did require a Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA). It's an app you download on your phone

Thanks for the link.  How long is the K-ETA valid?  My cruise is in October of this year and I am wondering when I should submit my info.

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thanks for the link.  How long is the K-ETA valid?  My cruise is in October of this year and I am wondering when I should submit my info.

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't know. Check the web site. You can likely find the details there. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dutchman48 said:

I looked at the info on the website but do not see the cost. Anyone know how much it is to apply?