What to do in Kona

Moon Orchid

Hi all, we will be going on Ovation this coming May for a Hawaii cruise. We were on Quantum last month for a similar reversed itinerary and already have an idea of what to do in Oahu and Maui, but since we have never been to Kona I need guidance on what to do here. We're renting a car for Oahu and Maui, so would it make sense to have one for Kona too? Our ship will be there from 7am-4pm. We are beach people and like to just relax at the beach (not into snorkeling). We also love whale watching since we did it in Victoria, Canada last time.

Do you need to have a car here to go to the beach ? Any decent beaches near the pier ? What excursion is a must to do here ? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, Moon Orchid said:

Hi all, we will be going on Ovation this coming May for a Hawaii cruise. We were on Quantum last month for a similar reversed itinerary and already have an idea of what to do in Oahu and Maui, but since we have never been to Kona I need guidance on what to do here. We're renting a car for Oahu and Maui, so would it make sense to have one for Kona too? Our ship will be there from 7am-4pm. We are beach people and like to just relax at the beach (not into snorkeling). We also love whale watching since we did it in Victoria, Canada last time.

Do you need to have a car here to go to the beach ? Any decent beaches near the pier ? What excursion is a must to do here ? Thanks in advance!

We'll be on that Ovation sailing too, but have never done a Hawaii cruise. What did you do in Maui last time? Do you have any recommendations?

You might want to look into Seahorse.com for a tour of their facility.  We did it about 12 years ago and it looks like they have expanded since then.  It was very interesting and we had a seahorse wrap it's tail around our fingers.  One of the best tours we've done.

• Thanks 1

In Kona we shop, eat and buy Kona coffee. If it was my first time in Kona, I might take a tour of a coffee plantation.

As to Maui, assuming it is NOT whale season, I'd either go on a tour to Haleakala National Park or get a tour to Lahaina to shop, eat, see the old town.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, NYCrews said:

We'll be on that Ovation sailing too, but have never done a Hawaii cruise. What did you do in Maui last time? Do you have any recommendations?

We're beach people so we like to relax at beaches.☺️
We rented a car for 2 days. We went to Napili Bay, Makena beach + Makena Secret Cove beach (Walk up on the road, pass the speed bumps and look for the opening on the concrete wall on right side, for Secret Beach). We paid for parking at Makena beach park then saw locals and other people park their cars on the side of the road so they don't have to pay for parking and entry fees to the park. Learn something new everyday ☺️. Also make a quick stop at Wailea beach. We ate at Fish Market for lunch, it was really good.
Second day we went to Whaler Village for lunch, shopping and some more beach time at near by Kaa'napali beach.
This time we want to go to Wai'anapanapa state park to see the the black sand on first day at Maui.
Second day we will go to Nakalele blow hole then back to Napili bay (I love this beach ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:22 PM, scottca075 said:

In Kona we shop, eat and buy Kona coffee. If it was my first time in Kona, I might take a tour of a coffee plantation.

As to Maui, assuming it is NOT whale season, I'd either go on a tour to Haleakala National Park or get a tour to Lahaina to shop, eat, see the old town.

Any specific tours for Lahaina to do as you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be arriving in Kona April 28th, looking for some low key activities to do with our Uncle who will turn 90 on our cruise.   I think he would enjoy a coffee plantation as well as maybe a tour of the chocolate factory.  Can anyone tell me what the best way would be to get to these places, and maybe recommend a couple of good ones, that require minimal walking and good accessibility?  Thanks in advance!