Is it safe to  walk from the Puerto Plata port  to main part of town

Iceman-007

We were in Puerto Plata on MSC in August and also on Celebrity about 5 weeks ago.  On the first cruise, we took a ship's excursion that stopped at the center of the historic area (Parque Independencia) where we felt entirely comfortable.   Based on that experience, we decided that when we went back in November, we'd try walking from the Taino Bay Terminal to that same area and did so easily and without incident.  It's probably only about 3/4 of a mile.  Frankly, the only time we felt a bit uncomfortable was at the exit to the port where we were relentlessly approached by several people trying to get us to book a tour with them.  To be clear, it wasn't that we felt unsafe, it was more that same harassed feeling we've gotten in Jamaica and Mahajual (Costa Maya) where some vendors can be insistent.  We just politely kept saying "no thanks" and walked on.  By the time we got to the end of the first block, it was fine.  In fact, there are "tourist police" (armed police who are assigned specifically to protect the safety of tourists) who are posted on most of the intersections along the walkway.  When you approach the intersection, they immediately stop traffic to allow pedestrians to cross.  Frankly, I'm not so sure they really needed to be armed for - other than the area immediately outside the cruise port - everyone we encountered was very pleasant and friendly.  We spent some time in the shops and cathedral in the historic area and then walked over near the Fort.  No problems anywhere, nor did we ever feel intimidated, harassed, or unsafe.  Fortunately, by the time we returned, the vendors at the entrance were pretty much gone!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I got back from my cruise this past week and I did go to PP. I walk about 8.5 miles RT.  When you get out of the ship port, turn left and go to the beach and side road area.  It is safe. I see police and tourists walking. I walk 4 miles to the beach.  If you turn right, they will not allow you to walk there, because they say its a high crime area.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chong67 said:

I got back from my cruise this past week and I did go to PP. I walk about 8.5 miles RT.  When you get out of the ship port, turn left and go to the beach and side road area.  It is safe. I see police and tourists walking. I walk 4 miles to the beach.  If you turn right, they will not allow you to walk there, because they say its a high crime area.

What beach did you go to?  Were you able to rent chairs?  

23 hours ago, Wrunkles said:

What beach did you go to?  Were you able to rent chairs?  

I walked to Puerto Plata beach and Long beach, 3-4 miles away. I saw restaurants and at the back of the beach are chairs and lounges. Now sure if you buy food, then its free. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 8:08 AM, Bluewake said:

We were in Puerto Plata on MSC in August and also on Celebrity about 5 weeks ago.  On the first cruise, we took a ship's excursion that stopped at the center of the historic area (Parque Independencia) where we felt entirely comfortable.   Based on that experience, we decided that when we went back in November, we'd try walking from the Taino Bay Terminal to that same area and did so easily and without incident.  It's probably only about 3/4 of a mile.  Frankly, the only time we felt a bit uncomfortable was at the exit to the port where we were relentlessly approached by several people trying to get us to book a tour with them.  To be clear, it wasn't that we felt unsafe, it was more that same harassed feeling we've gotten in Jamaica and Mahajual (Costa Maya) where some vendors can be insistent.  We just politely kept saying "no thanks" and walked on.  By the time we got to the end of the first block, it was fine.  In fact, there are "tourist police" (armed police who are assigned specifically to protect the safety of tourists) who are posted on most of the intersections along the walkway.  When you approach the intersection, they immediately stop traffic to allow pedestrians to cross.  Frankly, I'm not so sure they really needed to be armed for - other than the area immediately outside the cruise port - everyone we encountered was very pleasant and friendly.  We spent some time in the shops and cathedral in the historic area and then walked over near the Fort.  No problems anywhere, nor did we ever feel intimidated, harassed, or unsafe.  Fortunately, by the time we returned, the vendors at the entrance were pretty much gone!

"Frankly, I'm not so sure they really needed to be armed for".......Civilian's 🙄😁