Car Rental at Ft. Lauderdale airport

andiloveu

We are flying in the day before our cruise to Ft. Lauderdale Airport in the AM.  We can't check into our hotel till 4pm so we were thinking of renting a car to get around and see some sights.  I don't rent cars hardly ever.  Can we rent the car from the airport but leave it near our port hotel or do I have to bring it back to the airport.  Any suggestions? Any car rental places that we can rent from airport and bring back car to a place near the port.  We're staying at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina.  Thank you in advance for any tips you can give!

Port Everglades is literally ten minutes away from FLL. Rent a vehicle on your arrival and keep it overnight at your hotel. On embarkation day drop off your luggage at Port Everglades and return the rental vehicle at FLL. Hop in a cab, Uber or Lyft for the short ten minute ride over to Port Everglades to check in for your cruise.

1 hour ago, Corby114 said:

Port Everglades is literally ten minutes away from FLL. Rent a vehicle on your arrival and keep it overnight at your hotel. On embarkation day drop off your luggage at Port Everglades and return the rental vehicle at FLL. Hop in a cab, Uber or Lyft for the short ten minute ride over to Port Everglades to check in for your cruise.

If parking overnight at the hotel (actually at any hotel in Fort Lauderdale and Miami), make sure you check if there is a charge for parking (self and/or valet) so you aren't surprised when you check out.

Out of curiosity I just checked the Hilton Marina parking rates: 

Self parking
$40.00
Valet parking
$46.00
Secured
Not available
Covered
Not available
In/Out privileges
Available
Other parking Information
Visitor $5 1hr, $8 2hr, $10 3hr, $15 4hr, $38 5hr+

Thank you so much for all the info!  This is a mom's cruise getaway with my Bestie.  Since the parking at the hotel is so expensive we have decided to taxi or Uber to the hotel and walk around from there.  I really appreciate this community of cruising folks who always have a helpful tip and info to make your vacation a breeze!

12 minutes ago, andiloveu said:

Thank you so much for all the info!  This is a mom's cruise getaway with my Bestie.  Since the parking at the hotel is so expensive we have decided to taxi or Uber to the hotel and walk around from there.  I really appreciate this community of cruising folks who always have a helpful tip and info to make your vacation a breeze!

I think that is a wise decision.  Drop your bags off at the hotel and then take the water taxi, which has a stop right next to the Hilton Marina, getting off wherever you want.  See www.watertaxi.com.  It is both a means of transportation and a tourist ride since the Captain narrates the ride.  It is Hop On/Hop off and some of the local businesses at each stop offer discounts (listed on the website).

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 2:15 PM, capriccio said:

I think that is a wise decision.  Drop your bags off at the hotel and then take the water taxi, which has a stop right next to the Hilton Marina, getting off wherever you want.  See www.watertaxi.com.  It is both a means of transportation and a tourist ride since the Captain narrates the ride.  It is Hop On/Hop off and some of the local businesses at each stop offer discounts (listed on the website).

Thank you so much for that tip!  I would never have known about the water taxi.  Sounds like fun!😀

7 hours ago, andiloveu said:

Thank you so much for that tip!  I would never have known about the water taxi.  Sounds like fun!😀

Another means of transportation is the LauderGo! Community shuttle (formerly named the Sun Trolley): https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/government/departments-i-z/transportation-and-mobility/transportation-division/laudergo-mobility-services/laudergo-community-shuttle.  Best of all it is free and air conditioned!

It goes right by the Hilton to the Beach (Beach Link) where you can connect to the Las Olas (Las Olas link).  The tourist board website( www.sunny.org) has lots of info on attractions, restaurants, etc. to help you decide what you want to do and where you want to go.

• Like 1