Carnival Venezia April 15 2024

jeff1718

23 hours ago, FineArtsMama said:

Hello! My husband and I are celebrating our 42nd anniversary on this cruise (cruise #11). We already had the Amber Cove Coffee/Cooking/Casa excursion in our shopping cart when I decided to check the CC Roll Call, and I’m pleased to see that some of you are going. May I ask if you booked the 9:30 or 10:30 time slot? It would be nice to go with familiar faces. 😊

Hi FineArtsMama (love the name, I guess I was a CommercialArtsMama till I mysteriously made a crazy career switch to ITMama...lol).

Paul and I are booked on the 9:30am excursion. I'm a late riser, but we figured with the earlier start we'd have time to check out Amber Cove since this is our first time at this port.

We've done similar type excursions, and yes, it's nice to start our with 'familiar faces'.

We're celebrating our 18th anniversary (2nd marriage), Paul's 70th birthday, and his retirement. 

• Like 1

So much to celebrate! That’s wonderful. I purchased two of the last three tickets for the 9:30 excursion last night for the same reason. We’ll look forward to meeting you and your husband. My hubby is 71 and moving towards retirement; I’m 62 and have no plans to work a day longer than necessary, lol.

23 minutes ago, delacruz said:

Hi FineArtsMama (love the name, I guess I was a CommercialArtsMama till I mysteriously made a crazy career switch to ITMama...lol).

Paul and I are booked on the 9:30am excursion. I'm a late riser, but we figured with the earlier start we'd have time to check out Amber Cove since this is our first time at this port.

We've done similar type excursions, and yes, it's nice to start our with 'familiar faces'.

We're celebrating our 18th anniversary (2nd marriage), Paul's 70th birthday, and his retirement. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are also celebrating our anniversary on the second day of the cruise. We booked the same excursion and it 's for 9:30. It will be great to be on an excursion with our cruise critic friends. Ed and I (Lynn) are in our young 70's. 

We should plan to meet up prior to the excursion. Any suggestions where to meet on the ship. 

we have late dining. A pre or post drink somewhere sounds good.

Thanks delacruz, regarding the umbrella rental on HMC. I know there is no shade there, unless your at the bar. ordering one today!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kermie1963 said:

My son and I are going to skip the excursions and just travel on our own.  Are there cabs at most ports?

I am no expert on all the ports, and have only been to St Thomas and San Juan, but this is what I know:

- St Thomas has available cabs. As I recall, they are standardized, and there should be a board at the stand with the rates to the popular destination. I'm not sure which pier Carnival docks at - either Crown Bay or Havensight...I 'think' the latter. I'm used to Crown Bay because RCCL and Celebrity dock there and that's been most of our cruises. 

- San Juan - we dock in Old San Juan. There is so much to do within walking distance. Getting to the 2 forts are very doable (uphill getting there, coming back is easier!). We love the cobblestone streets, colorful architecture, the walk down Paseo de la Princesa to Paseo del Morro, the shops, restaurants, etc. This is one of the few Caribbean ports where it easy to find handmade local arts and crafts rather than the same old 'made in china' stuff. Taxis are also available here to go elsewhere. I think they are normally a set rate between Zones (at least that's been our experience from the airport and Pan American cruise port). Also Ubers are easy to get here.

- Amber Cove, I know that taxis are available. I've heard warnings about going outside the port area, which is why we're doing an excursion, but also heard people say there were no problems.

- Grand Turk - we are just doing the beach at the port. I think people also rent golf carts, and I assume taxis are available.

- Half Moon Cay - my understanding is that this is a private island, and our only tender port. It's mostly undeveloped so I think short of just using the beach or taking a Carnival Excursion, that is  it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ETski said:

We are also celebrating our anniversary on the second day of the cruise. We booked the same excursion and it 's for 9:30. It will be great to be on an excursion with our cruise critic friends. Ed and I (Lynn) are in our young 70's. 

We should plan to meet up prior to the excursion. Any suggestions where to meet on the ship. 

we have late dining. A pre or post drink somewhere sounds good.

Thanks delacruz, regarding the umbrella rental on HMC. I know there is no shade there, unless your at the bar. ordering one today!

Paul and I are 68 and about to be 70 respectively. We think of ourselves as 'young' but maybe others think we're old farts?...lol!

Glancing over the Roll Call it looks like we have the following booked on the Dominican Culture - Cooking, Coffee & Casa Typica tour in Amber Cove. We're on the 9:30 one, and I think so far it sounds like most others are that time slot also?

@FineArtsMama, @tweety33, @ETski and @KaiBlue. If anyone has changed there mind, or someone else here also booked, let us know.

Yes, we should try to get together! I'm not terribly good at planning stuff, but we are doing Anytime Dining, so are somewhat flexible. Maybe a pre-sailaway meet-up, or probably easier to just pick a time on one of our first 3 sea days as we're settling into relax mode.

Any suggestions are welcome - I'm still a Carnival Newbie - I know all the good places to meet on Royal Caribbean ships! to the point that I even have a table sign for a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, delacruz said:

Paul and I are 68 and about to be 70 respectively. We think of ourselves as 'young' but maybe others think we're old farts?...lol!

Glancing over the Roll Call it looks like we have the following booked on the Dominican Culture - Cooking, Coffee & Casa Typica tour in Amber Cove. We're on the 9:30 one, and I think so far it sounds like most others are that time slot also?

@FineArtsMama, @tweety33, @ETski and @KaiBlue. If anyone has changed there mind, or someone else here also booked, let us know.

Yes, we should try to get together! I'm not terribly good at planning stuff, but we are doing Anytime Dining, so are somewhat flexible. Maybe a pre-sailaway meet-up, or probably easier to just pick a time on one of our first 3 sea days as we're settling into relax mode.

Any suggestions are welcome - I'm still a Carnival Newbie - I know all the good places to meet on Royal Caribbean ships! to the point that I even have a table sign for a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet.

We are booked on the 9:30 Dominican culture excursion and would enjoy meeting up with everyone beforehand perhaps for a drink?  Never been on the Venezia so not sure where to meet but perhaps we pick a bar and set a date/time for those interested.

• Like 1

All who are going on the Amber Cove Culture,Cooking,Casa,Cooking and coffee excursion. Why don’t we meet on Tuesday April 16 at 3:30 at the Atrium bar deck 3. Never been on this ship but know there is an Atrium bar. 

Edited by ETski
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:40 PM, ETski said:

All who are going on the Amber Cove Culture,Cooking,Casa,Cooking and coffee excursion. Why don’t we meet on Tuesday April 16 at 3:30 at the Atrium bar deck 3. Never been on this ship but know there is an Atrium bar. 

That works for us! Somewhere in my pile of cruise 'stuff' I have a little table placard that I made for a Royal Caribbean cruise pre-'Meet & Mingle' get together. It has the Cruise Critic logo on it, and I can edit it to 'Dominican Culture - Cooking, Coffee & Casa Typica' get together. As if I'm not already overpacking...lol! 

I'll post a pic of it when I get done so you all can look for it, and we can get a head count so whoever gets there first can try to set aside some space at the bar or tables. (oooh, we can join the ranks of chair hogs, although I figure mid-afternoon on the first sea day won't find the bar to be too crowded). Oh, and everyone else ( @tweety33, @KaiBlue, @FineArtsMama)

pipe in to make sure that day and time works for the majority.

I think our avatar makes it easy to see what Paul and I look like - except we won't be in our formal wear until later!

2 hours ago, kermie1963 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in Grand Turk? I'm trying to avoid excursions. There'll be my adult son and me.

Grand Turk is easy to just walk off the ship and have a beach day. No excursion needed.  Margaritaville is right there or you can walk down the beach to Jack's Shack.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, delacruz said:

That works for us! Somewhere in my pile of cruise 'stuff' I have a little table placard that I made for a Royal Caribbean cruise pre-'Meet & Mingle' get together. It has the Cruise Critic logo on it, and I can edit it to 'Dominican Culture - Cooking, Coffee & Casa Typica' get together. As if I'm not already overpacking...lol! 

I'll post a pic of it when I get done so you all can look for it, and we can get a head count so whoever gets there first can try to set aside some space at the bar or tables. (oooh, we can join the ranks of chair hogs, although I figure mid-afternoon on the first sea day won't find the bar to be too crowded). Oh, and everyone else ( @tweety33, @KaiBlue, @FineArtsMama)

pipe in to make sure that day and time works for the majority.

I think our avatar makes it easy to see what Paul and I look like - except we won't be in our formal wear until later!

Works for us, too, @ETski and @delacruz! The Venezia is new to us as well, but I thought I’d mention that the atrium bar area on other Carnival ships hosts a lot of music and trivia events on sea days. Just fyi.

3 hours ago, FineArtsMama said:

Works for us, too, @ETski and @delacruz! The Venezia is new to us as well, but I thought I’d mention that the atrium bar area on other Carnival ships hosts a lot of music and trivia events on sea days. Just fyi.

Works for us as well!  If it's too busy, we will just go somewhere else!  I had to laugh at the chair hog comment @delacruz:)

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, nycfa said:

Grand Turk is easy to just walk off the ship and have a beach day. No excursion needed.  Margaritaville is right there or you can walk down the beach to Jack's Shack.  

100% accurate. We will be at Jack's Shack 🙂

• Like 2

Hey Everyone, its getting close fast, Wooowhoooo!!!!

Regarding Amber Cove Tour- Hubby & I still have plans to be with you other 4 couples on the 9:30 tour. I will admit it makes us a tad nervous regarding the situation in Haiti.

Meeting on Tuesday at 3:30 Atrium bar sounds good to us for meeting, looking forward to it. Hopefully we won't be late we are doing the 2pm slot pull, providing the smoke smell don't do me in. Fineartsmama we are the same age as you & your husband. 

Can't wait for this journey!! Bring on the palm trees. I get excited when I see my first palm so I know I'm officially on vacation. Wait, starting in NY this round will be different, no palms when I board. Once I hit NY vacation is official😊

• Like 2

Hi all.. We are getting excited for this cruise.. Is there a meet and greet? Ive never sailed Carnival before and not sure if that is a thing on their cruise line like it is on other cruise line Im used to.. Thank you 

On 3/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Donnamarieisme said:

Hi all.. We are getting excited for this cruise.. Is there a meet and greet? Ive never sailed Carnival before and not sure if that is a thing on their cruise line like it is on other cruise line Im used to.. Thank you 

Hi Donnamarieisme!

We're almost at a month out!

I haven't seen anything about a meet & greet, although I also am new to Carnival (except for one in 2009). The vast majority of my 25+ cruises have been on Royal Caribbean, and they stopped the official Meet & Mingles after Covid, and I don't think they've reinstated them. In the past I had organized some M&M, especially on cruises under 7 days where RC didn't do them, but being so new to Carnival, and especially wanting to spend time exploring a brand new (to me) ship, and the Terrazza area (we splurged on a premium cabin since we're celebrating my hubby's retirement, birthday, and our anniversary all in one).

There are 3 different pages for our sailing on another major social media platform. Don't ask me why - I've never seen that before where at least they didn't try to merge to make just one. Too confusing. Between the 3, there are about a dozen events planned, one being a Meet & Greet on Monday 4/15 3pm at the Rococo Bar on deck 10. From there they plan to head to the sailaway party. I would like to do that but am keeping my schedule fluid depending on what we're feeling like at the time. I DO plan to be at the sailaway party though I might have to fight hubby on that. The sailaway at the Terrazza deck looks like it will be lovely, but I think I have to dance for sailaway, so I'll be wherever that is. 

I sometimes think of myself as a little old white-haired lady, but I take soul line dancing classes, and when I pretend I don't have 2 left feet I think I'm pretty good at it...lol!

We're doing a small informal M&G (previously mentioned) for the handful of us that booked the Dominican Culture (cooking, coffee & casa typica) from Amber Cove so we'll start that excursion out feeling part of a group.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:34 PM, delacruz said:

Hi Donnamarieisme!

We're almost at a month out!

I haven't seen anything about a meet & greet, although I also am new to Carnival (except for one in 2009). The vast majority of my 25+ cruises have been on Royal Caribbean, and they stopped the official Meet & Mingles after Covid, and I don't think they've reinstated them. In the past I had organized some M&M, especially on cruises under 7 days where RC didn't do them, but being so new to Carnival, and especially wanting to spend time exploring a brand new (to me) ship, and the Terrazza area (we splurged on a premium cabin since we're celebrating my hubby's retirement, birthday, and our anniversary all in one).

There are 3 different pages for our sailing on another major social media platform. Don't ask me why - I've never seen that before where at least they didn't try to merge to make just one. Too confusing. Between the 3, there are about a dozen events planned, one being a Meet & Greet on Monday 4/15 3pm at the Rococo Bar on deck 10. From there they plan to head to the sailaway party. I would like to do that but am keeping my schedule fluid depending on what we're feeling like at the time. I DO plan to be at the sailaway party though I might have to fight hubby on that. The sailaway at the Terrazza deck looks like it will be lovely, but I think I have to dance for sailaway, so I'll be wherever that is. 

I sometimes think of myself as a little old white-haired lady, but I take soul line dancing classes, and when I pretend I don't have 2 left feet I think I'm pretty good at it...lol!

Planning on doing sailaway. also plan on dancing! Love to dance especially when know one is watching LOL

We're doing a small informal M&G (previously mentioned) for the handful of us that booked the Dominican Culture (cooking, coffee & casa typica) from Amber Cove so we'll start that excursion out feeling part of a group.  

9 hours ago, kermie1963 said:

What are the sites if I could ask?

All 3 pages are on one website, FB. CC frowns on mentioning it, but it is the largest social media platform. Once there, if you search for ' Carnival Venezia April 15' you should see the 3 pages that were created by different fellow cruisers. It bothers me that there are 3 groups, mostly with the same Members, which is much harder to keep up with. I like how on Cruise Critic if multiple boards are created for the same cruise they get merged. I still prefer chatting here. We've had excellent luck meeting people pre-cruise that have turned into lifetime friends. 

Hi everyone!

I know I haven’t been very active here, but I am so excited to explore this new-to-us ship with my sweet husband and meet some of you in just over three weeks! School has been CRAZY recently, and it will stay that way for the final nine weeks of the year. 😄 I am so ready to board that plane!

Is anyone planning to see a Broadway show while in NYC? We have tickets for Back to the Future, which I’m also looking forward to. We’re splurging a bit this anniversary. 😊

Have a great weekend!

Cathy

Posted (edited)

@FineArtsMama We toyed with the idea of going to see a broadway show but decided we just wanted a few days of 'roaming' and no deadlines.  We fly in early Saturday morning so will have 2 full days to just do as we please.   The last few weeks have been pretty brutal with work/family stuff so this cruise can't come fast enough for me!  Started to look at some videos of the ship and getting super excited!  We had seen a few early on before we booked this cruise (which was like 18 months ago). Crazy that it's almost here.

Edited by KaiBlue
typo
  • Like 1

I have started piling up clothes and toiletries for packing in a room. I want to get down the suitcases today.  I’m so ready to go! 

• Like 3