Carnival Venezia April 15 2024

jeff1718

1 hour ago, ETski said:

Does anyone know how many formal nights on this cruise. Also know when the might be.

I've wondered that also and can't find a definitive answer.

I found a couple of cruise blogs list that 9-12 night cruises have 3 elegant nights, but not sure if that's outdated info or not. I went to look back on the only cruise longer than 9 nights we've been on (RCCL Brilliance 12 nights in 2016), but because it was such a port intensive and busy itinerary, and most days included early port days and amazing lunches in most of our stops, we actually skipped the MDR altogether and had most of our meals at the buffet and other casual dining spots. I'd say of all the 20+ cruises we've taken on multiple lines, the first formal/elegant night has always been the day after embarkation, but I can't speak to when the other nights have been (although never on the last night because that's usually packing night). 

A friend of mine just returned from the 12 nighter on Venezia, and I should see her at my Soul Line Dancing class tomorrow evening and will ask her.

Speaking of line dancing, who will be joining me on the dance floor? I hate to exercise, but discovered line dancing a few years ago, and I really enjoy it, and it doesn't feel like exercise so I DO IT! It seems that Carnival has more dance parties than RCCL and Celebrity - I hope so! Gotta work off the gazillion calories I expect I'll be eating and drinking!

I have a courtesy hold on this sailing. The itinerary looks fantastic. I absolutely love HMC. Just need to chat with hubby and proceed with the deposit this evening.

My only worry is I haven't sailed on Carnival since 2015. The news in the last year showed some rowdy behaviors and fights. But given the timing and length of this cruise... I think that may alleviate a few of my worries. Everyone in the roll call here seems really nice too 🙂

• Like 1

As with a few others on here, we are also booked on the Fast Cat (St. Thomas) and the Cooking, Coffee, Casa Typica (Amber Cove) tours.    Typically we take non-cruise line excursions but these both sounded good.  I love cultural tours so really looking forward to the one in Amber Cove.  

@hbsurfcitycruiser  This will be our second time actually staying  in NYC and just starting to plan what we will be doing - coming in 2 days early.  Too much to do and too little time!

• Like 1

Glad to see some more activity here! 'Welcome Aboard' to all our new shipmates! 

As a former New Yorker (I lived there till I graduated college, all my family is still there), give yourselves as much time as you can afford to explore the city. What's funny is that while I was growing up we were so jaded we never did the typical 'touristy' things - so I never visited the top of the Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc. until after I moved and came back as a visitor...lol!

As much as we love the R&R of Caribbean beaches, we like to balance it with something cultural, and have had some amazing experiences with tours like the Cooking, Coffee and Casa one. @KaiBlue, we also usually look at non-cruise excursions first, but if the cruiseline offers something that gets amazing ratings like these and are no more than on our own, it makes it easier than trying to find the tour operator and having that slight risk of not getting back in time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/23/2023 at 12:44 PM, delacruz said:

.... but if the cruiseline offers something that gets amazing ratings like these and are no more than on our own, it makes it easier than trying to find the tour operator and having that slight risk of not getting back in time.

Completely agree!  The reviews on that cultural tour are what sold us!  While we've had generally good luck with non-cruise line tours, there is always a risk...  so much easier in the modern day with being able to check reviews, etc.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at work, and not supposed to be doing anything but working, but my mind is needing a cruise! Don't worry - I'm not about to be fired for it - I AM getting all my work done, but just saying. 🙂

We've got 125 days to go! I know it will go fast, so I'm not going to wish it to come sooner, because my theory is that when you do that it makes the cruise itself go too fast!

I have a co-worker about to take his first cruise next month, so I'm living vicariously through him, and imparting my vast amount of cruise knowledge...lol...to him.

OK, that's it, just wanted to say hi, keep activity going on this page. Back to work!

Welcome to those who recently joined this rollcall. Hello fellow Mainer.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, now Christmas just around the corner. By January I'll be in full cruise mode, getting close to packing & daily research.

Delacruz, yes time will go fast til we set sail, this anticipation is half the fun. I don't blame ya for sneaking in a little cruise break during the workday, we won't tell, lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all!

Reminder to our fellow cruisers that our final payments are due in a couple of weeks.

We are now paid in full and also paid off the drink package, wifi, 2 excursions, 3 specialty restaurants, and gratuities. That makes it more 'real' to me somehow!

I don't remember if I had mentioned it before that we used Carnival gift cards from AARP to pay every bit of this. They have $100 and $500 gift cards that cost $90 and $450 respectively, so our entire cruise, including all extras, was 10% off! There is no age requirement to join AARP, and it's only $16/year, although they usually run a special on the first year of membership - right now it's only $12. (caveat that their rewards page has been down for purchases for a few days for maintenance - but will be back up 1/3)

No, I don't work for them, and I'm not a paid advertiser...lol. It's just an amazing idea that most other cruise lines don't offer - for some of them you can only use it for the initial deposit or for on board credit.

105 days to go!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:35 AM, delacruz said:

A handy bit of information if you are 50+ and a member of AARP. (and if you are 50+ but NOT a member of AARP the annual membership is usually $16/yr, but currently on sale for $12/yr:

AARP sells Carnival Cruise Gift Cards that can be purchased at a 10% discount. They come in $500 and $100 value, so they cost $450 and $90 respectively. As opposed to some other cruise lines that only let you use gift cards for your initial down payment and nothing else, or only OBC, there does not seem to be any limitation to what you can use this on. 

We splurged a bit on this sailing with a wraparound Premium Vista balcony in the Terrazzo Carnivale section, and plan to purchase the Cheers Beverage packages (celebrating a big birthday and a retirement), so getting 10% off makes a nice balance.

I second AARP - this is the first cruise where everything was paid for with the gift cards. We did the Legend in Sept and it was almost the same except for the original deposit. 

Cheers, 

Todd

• Like 1

Happy new year!

I am now in full cruise mode. We also paid with the aarp cards. Good deal! Another Great tip I learned on cruise critic.  

In Ambor cove we are also considering the coffee, cooking, casa tour.  All 5 star reviews is rare. It has been years since we booked a cruise sponsored excursion. I hope the drive is not to excessively bumpy. I need to decide before it sells out. Anyone have more info then what is on carnival site?

Almost double digits til we set sail. Wooowhooo!!

Looking forward to warm weather. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 6:40 PM, tweety33 said:

Happy new year!

I am now in full cruise mode. We also paid with the aarp cards. Good deal! Another Great tip I learned on cruise critic.  

In Ambor cove we are also considering the coffee, cooking, casa tour.  All 5 star reviews is rare. It has been years since we booked a cruise sponsored excursion. I hope the drive is not to excessively bumpy. I need to decide before it sells out. Anyone have more info then what is on carnival site?

Almost double digits til we set sail. Wooowhooo!!

Looking forward to warm weather. 

We are booked on that excursion from Amber Cove. I hadn't been able to find any reviews outside of the Carnival website. However, it seems rare for there to be reviews that are 100% 5 star, and this one is. 

Over the years we have done 3 cultural tours similar to this - 2 being booked on our own (Costa Maya and Grenada) and 1 being a ship tour (Dominica). I would rate all of them among our top Caribbean excursions. 

I don't recall more than 1 or 2 minor remarks about the drive being bumpy; I always watch for that with my husband's bad back.

This cruise can't come soon enough; we were daydreaming about it while shoveling the 5-6" of snow from our driveway and cars. But I try to not wish for time to go fast to get here since that makes the cruise go by too fast also!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see ya on the tour, looking forward to it.

I'm enjoying the buildup to the cruise, its half the fun. It's almost February, that's when I'll start getting my stuff ready for packing day & make sure I have everything from my master list.

We had 4" of snow this week, our coldest day yet was today, but so far not a bad winter. Looking forward to palm trees & tropical breezes.

We just got back from a B2B on the Magic. It was great, except for the lead male singer hurting himself in a fall from the stage. Hopefully he is ok. Just booked a cabana at HMC. If another couple wants to split with us let us know. 

Dan

Hi all,

My husband and I are also booked for this cruise and have read through all the comments.  Thanks to all who have shared their opinions and experiences.

We are celebrating our Anniversary, too — day 1! Looking forward to returning to STT.  We have visited SJ many times - but only land trips.  We did go to El Morro, Castillo San Cristobal, etc. and took a guided jeep ride to the rain forest and horse back riding, many years ago!.  

We, too, enjoy the PR coffee and Mufango and will definitely go for Mallorca!  Looking forward to insertedTurks and to hearing more suggestions from the folks who have cruised to the locations on this itinerary. I am an AARP member and was wondering if I purchase the gift cards as suggested on this roll call, how do I apply them toward the specialty dining/excursions?  Do wish I knew about this option before paying for the trip in full!  Thanks for the tip and appreciate the “how to”.

Thanks again to all who have shared.  LFV

Edited by leavingforvacation
Inserted a comma!

2 hours ago, leavingforvacation said:

Hi all,

My husband and I are also booked for this cruise and have read through all the comments.  Thanks to all who have shared their opinions and experiences.

We are celebrating our Anniversary, too — day 1! Looking forward to returning to STT.  We have visited SJ many times - but only land trips.  We did go to El Morro, Castillo San Cristobal, etc. and took a guided jeep ride to the rain forest and horse back riding, many years ago!.  

We, too, enjoy the PR coffee and Mufango and will definitely go for Mallorca!  Looking forward to insertedTurks and to hearing more suggestions from the folks who have cruised to the locations on this itinerary. I am an AARP member and was wondering if I purchase the gift cards as suggested on this roll call, how do I apply them toward the specialty dining/excursions?  Do wish I knew about this option before paying for the trip in full!  Thanks for the tip and appreciate the “how to”.

Thanks again to all who have shared.  LFV

Welcome aboard, @leavingforvacation!

After you purchase the card and get the email to redeem it, you go into your planner to order what you want, and when you check out you will either see a tab to the right of the credit card section, or the paying by gift card option is below ( I've seen both and don't remember why the interface was slightly different, I think it was because I usually use a browser on my PC, but last time I was using my phone.) You enter the card number and the pin. If your purchase was more than the card you can use a CC for the rest. If you buy multiple cards you can enter another if there's more to pay. If you have a balance left on the card you can use it on something else. Or you can apply it to your sail and sign card at a kiosk onboard.

After thinking we were DONE (we already paid for the cruise, 2 excursions, 3 specialty restaurants, wifi, and Cheers, almost 100% with AARP cards; but then noticed there was an option to order an umbrella at HMC (we were going to get clamshells but worried it would get too hot with no airflow). This was $34.99, so we bought a $100 card (for $90) and applied it. I worried I'd forget about the balance, so I bought $75 cruise cash with the rest  I had to add $9.99 from my credit card, but that still worked out to $109.99 purchases that only cost us $99.99. We figure we'll spend that $75 on day 1 before Cheers kicks in - welcome aboard and sail away drinks 

14 hours ago, leavingforvacation said:

THANKS delacruz for explaining the “how to”!

No problem! This is my first Carnival cruise since 2009, and I don't even remember how I found out about paying by the AARP gift cards, but I took advantage of it starting with the deposit, and it is wonderful to save 10%. When I first started cruising, I had never heard of Cruise Critic, and in hindsight wonder how on earth we managed without it (and now all the additional pages on other social media platforms). When I find something that helped me, I try to pay it forward by passing it along.

Oh, and thanks @tweety33for reminding me - I fell behind in greeting new fellow passengers...WELCOME!

• Like 1

Hello! My husband and I are celebrating our 42nd anniversary on this cruise (cruise #11). We already had the Amber Cove Coffee/Cooking/Casa excursion in our shopping cart when I decided to check the CC Roll Call, and I’m pleased to see that some of you are going. May I ask if you booked the 9:30 or 10:30 time slot? It would be nice to go with familiar faces. 😊