April 2024 Glory cruises not available to book

reeinaz

This is what they do every time in New Orleans. They stick a half ragged out ship in New Orleans and make a big deal about how it is a huge improvement over what was there before. They sail it for three or four years until it is very rundown, then pull it out, put it in dry dock and get it looking nice and move it to another, apparently more important, port. Then they stick another faded ship into New Orleans and sail it until it is groady, and do it all again. How many times have we seen this? Passengers in New Orleans do not cause this. It's wear and tear and ground in grime. Carnival does not appreciate the people who sail from New Orleans enough. We were thrilled with Dream, but they let it get run down too before they pulled it out, fixed it up and moved it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mzloolue said:

This is what they do every time in New Orleans. They stick a half ragged out ship in New Orleans and make a big deal about how it is a huge improvement over what was there before. They sail it for three or four years until it is very rundown, then pull it out, put it in dry dock and get it looking nice and move it to another, apparently more important, port. Then they stick another faded ship into New Orleans and sail it until it is groady, and do it all again. How many times have we seen this? Passengers in New Orleans do not cause this. It's wear and tear and ground in grime. Carnival does not appreciate the people who sail from New Orleans enough. We were thrilled with Dream, but they let it get run down too before they pulled it out, fixed it up and moved it.  

That's their goal, leave the ship in the port until it needs drydock then swap in another ship. On and on. Minimum downtime for the port.

10 minutes ago, mzloolue said:

It could be worse. It could be Mobile.

• Haha 1

Got our letter of cancellation yesterday & was moved to the Magic out of Miami on 5/12/24 (same ports) withing 2 hours (love my TA!).  We also received an additional $50 per person OBC which was nice.  

One day I will cruise out of NOLA, looking forward to that day!

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Mobile itself isn't bad, but it is usually where cruise ships go before dying.

Hopefully Spirit is the exception to this rule? It's not looking good though - Holiday, Fantasy, and Ecstasy all never moved on from Mobile.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, mz-s said:

Hopefully Spirit is the exception to this rule? It's not looking good though - Holiday, Fantasy, and Ecstasy all never moved on from Mobile.

About 6 to 8 years would probably be the longest Carnival could go before a change of ship in Mobile. That would put Spirit at age 28 to 30. After that I think if Mobile can't justify a larger ship, Mobile is out. Spirit would probably replace Elation or Paradise for the final 3-7 years of her career.

9 minutes ago, tidecat said:

About 6 to 8 years would probably be the longest Carnival could go before a change of ship in Mobile. That would put Spirit at age 28 to 30. After that I think if Mobile can't justify a larger ship, Mobile is out. Spirit would probably replace Elation or Paradise for the final 3-7 years of her career.

I personally think Spirit class will outlive the typical ~30 year lifespan as they are the last of a breed of ship that can fit in the old Panama canal locks, at height-restricted ports like Tampa, and unlike Fantasy class - has the balconies/suites/specialty dining necessary to stay relevant.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, mzloolue said:

I somewhat disagree.

Carnival did let the Dream deteriorate to a disgusting degree, but the Glory came back from covid in decent shape and then the wet dock in January of last year put it in pretty good shape. Over the fall, winter and spring we sail her once a month and they are always grinding, priming and painting. They have kept her up in the public areas. The only deterioration we have seen has been in the cabins. It is not unusual to arrive to a cabin with something broken, but they have been quick to fix it.

On 2/3/2023 at 5:31 PM, icft said:

I somewhat disagree.

Carnival did let the Dream deteriorate to a disgusting degree, but the Glory came back from covid in decent shape and then the wet dock in January of last year put it in pretty good shape. Over the fall, winter and spring we sail her once a month and they are always grinding, priming and painting. They have kept her up in the public areas. The only deterioration we have seen has been in the cabins. It is not unusual to arrive to a cabin with something broken, but they have been quick to fix it.

I have not cruised since the shut down. We have an old dog who is too delicate to leave. But perhaps they were already planning to move Glory, hence the upkeep on her? I'm not a Glory fan after a horrendous cruise on her years ago. Valor is okay, Glory, been there... 

28 minutes ago, mzloolue said:

I have not cruised since the shut down. We have an old dog who is too delicate to leave. But perhaps they were already planning to move Glory, hence the upkeep on her? I'm not a Glory fan after a horrendous cruise on her years ago. Valor is okay, Glory, been there... 

That is quite possible. They have been unusually diligent - quite out of character for Carnival. The way they let Dream go downhill was a crime in the more normal Carnival style. Then to turn around and be exemplary this last year on Glory? It is puzzling.