Celebrity Internet Question

Snate

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Should be noted a travel router like the TP-Link AC750 is only $40

Thanks! I have a couple of travel routers, but it doesn't help unless you're in your stateroom. When in the stateroom, they work great!

Kevin

4 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Thanks! I have a couple of travel routers, but it doesn't help unless you're in your stateroom. When in the stateroom, they work great!

Kevin

Technically one could the bring travel router anywhere on the ship if they can power it via a laptop, battery pack, find an outlet, etc.  Not sure why anyone would want to do that but one could if they wanted to

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Technically one could the bring travel router anywhere on the ship if they can power it via a laptop, battery pack, find an outlet, etc.  Not sure why anyone would want to do that but one could if they wanted to

Good point, I do carry battery packs with me. As you say, though, who would want to. 

If I can buy a two or three device package and be able to use them concurrently (don't know why you couldn't). Looking for confirmation if that's the case.

Thanks,

Kevin

37 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Should be noted a travel router like the TP-Link AC750 is only $40

I started reading ratings and reviews of various travel routers, and my head started to hurt!

I'm assuming the one you mentioned pretty much handles everything one would need - and good user interface, easy to set up? 

16 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I started reading ratings and reviews of various travel routers, and my head started to hurt!

I'm assuming the one you mentioned pretty much handles everything one would need - and good user interface, easy to set up? 

For the most part yes; I have not tried other ones so perhaps there are better options out there

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Good point, I do carry battery packs with me. As you say, though, who would want to. 

If I can buy a two or three device package and be able to use them concurrently (don't know why you couldn't). Looking for confirmation if that's the case.

Thanks,

Kevin

Are you asking if you buy the 2 device Wi-Fi  package, can be connected to Wi-Fi for say a both phone and laptop?  If that’s what you’re asking, yes; that has nothing to do with a travel router

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

Are you asking if you buy the 2 device Wi-Fi  package, can be connected to Wi-Fi for say a both phone and laptop?  If that’s what you’re asking, yes; that has nothing to do with a travel router

Understood about the travel router. It was two different questions. Thank you for confirming the multi-device info. Seems to make more sense to buy a multi-device package for me and just share the login with my wife rather than buy individual access for both of us.

Thanks,

Kevin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

Thanks,

Kevin

Yep, I bought a one person - three device package for the three of us and we all used the same login/password. No problem with all three of us each using one device concurrently. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Xyla said:

Yep, I bought a one person - three device package for the three of us and we all used the same login/password. No problem with all three of us each using one device concurrently. 

That's the confirmation I was looking for. Works the same as on Princess. Thank you for letting me know.

Happy New Year,

Kevin

Currently on the Infinity doing B2B cruises.  For the first cruise, I had the Basic Wi-Fi Package.  I have an Android phone. I was NOT able to text (even with WiFi texting and calling enabled on my phone - which I use ALL the time at home).  I told all of my friends to email me.  The only thing that worked was Android 'chatting', which is not that common and won't work with iphone users.

Second cruise I upgraded to Premium and texting is suddenly working.  I haven't tried WiFi calling - but there is certainly a difference between the two packages and it's more than streaming options.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:40 AM, jagoffee said:

You might be confusing Celebrity’s Internet with Oceania’s internet.  What you state is exactly how they did it in our recent Oceania cruise.  Just turns off the streaming blocking.

Streaming, and a ridiculous number of other sites/things, including, bizarrely, the css for this forum (not the rest of it, but it meant it took about 5 minutes to load a page due to the timeout, and then the page loaded super-broken. That was true for about half the internet. Was seriously annoying. Weirdly, I experienced this all week on the internet on the Solstice, but had not experienced it previously on either the Summit or Millenium.)

As far as multiple devices though... modern versions of Windows also have a hotspot function, if your phone doesn't (or if, as in my case, your phone can only hotspot data, but not off of wifi for some reason.) When I wanted to use both my phone and computer, I turned on my computer's "mobile hotspot" and connected to it. Only time it was annoying was when, once, I wanted to run a script on my computer in the room, and then wanted to leave and go use my phone elsewhere on the ship. 

1 hour ago, temerarious said:

Currently on the Infinity doing B2B cruises.  For the first cruise, I had the Basic Wi-Fi Package.  I have an Android phone. I was NOT able to text (even with WiFi texting and calling enabled on my phone - which I use ALL the time at home).  I told all of my friends to email me.  The only thing that worked was Android 'chatting', which is not that common and won't work with iphone users.

Second cruise I upgraded to Premium and texting is suddenly working.  I haven't tried WiFi calling - but there is certainly a difference between the two packages and it's more than streaming options.

For all phones, to receive sms texts (generally anything but iMessages) and to make Wi-Fi calls you need premium

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I just returned from a Cruise on Silhouette. I had basic package. Speed was not bad for email and reading online local newspaper. BUT they deliberately blocked pictures (eg. jpg) and files such as word. They are not queued, but BLOCKED. I checked with internet lounge and that was confirmed. I wish they had stated that up front.

6 minutes ago, johngalt181 said:

I just returned from a Cruise on Silhouette. I had basic package. Speed was not bad for email and reading online local newspaper. BUT they deliberately blocked pictures (eg. jpg) and files such as word. They are not queued, but BLOCKED. I checked with internet lounge and that was confirmed. I wish they had stated that up front.

What about using a VPN to get around that?

6 minutes ago, johngalt181 said:

I don't know. Has anyone tried that?

When I hit roadblocks onboard, I use a VPN. Actually, in a couple of instances, I've also experienced increased speeds (up to 10x) - presumably as they can't bandwidth throttle what they can't see. This all assumes, of course, that they aren't blocking the VPN (have not experienced that yet).

My VPN of choice is Hotspot Shield.

Tom

11 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

When I hit roadblocks onboard, I use a VPN. Actually, in a couple of instances, I've also experienced increased speeds (up to 10x) - presumably as they can't bandwidth throttle what they can't see. This all assumes, of course, that they aren't blocking the VPN (have not experienced that yet).

My VPN of choice is Hotspot Shield.

Tom

Thanks! Will try on next cruise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So just to be clear, I will be on Celebrity Reflection July 2024, if I purchase a one device WI-FI package, can I allow a person who is staying in another stateroom to use it as long as I log off first?  For example, I will be traveling with my sister and her husband and they will be in their own stateroom, I can still share my WI-FI with them?

Edited by aron_ross

3 hours ago, aron_ross said:

So just to be clear, I will be on Celebrity Reflection July 2024, if I purchase a one device WI-FI package, can I allow a person who is staying in another stateroom to use it as long as I log off first?  For example, I will be traveling with my sister and her husband and they will be in their own stateroom, I can still share my WI-FI with them?

Yes, as long as you give them your login credentials. 

• Thanks 1