Rockstar Minibar

Ekposh

On 12/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, cantgetin said:

If all you are lacking is Diet Coke/Sprite, you can make a call to Ship Eats (room service) and get as much as you want. In addition, many bars have it in cans if you ask.  I know, if you paid for a suite you shouldn't have to jump thru the hoops, but at least this is a way to get what you want and have it in your room.

Other way for people who just want to "grab and go" a can, is to ask on the way past at "Sip", they always have cans, and if you grab one on the way past can pop it in your own fridge in any cabin. 

16 hours ago, Mysecretelixir said:

Oh no! I’m a wine drinker, not liquor so I was hoping for good ones. 

Wine around the ship is fine, it’s just the crap in our room was reaaaallly bad.  We’ve been on scarlet before and never found any of the mini bar wine that repulsive until the last run.  New brand that airport lounge wine puts to shame haha.  Valiant had French wine in the mini bar in December that was pretty good!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Do they have things like Rose's Lime Juice, we usually use Grand Marnier at home but maybe Triple Sec (or just Margarita Mix?).  Trying to make Margaritas.

they should have real lime juice in a squeeze bottle that you can bug a bartender for.  i like to squeeze my own, but there has been a shortage of limes on the past few i've been on - margaritas have been garnished with lemons!!!

• Like 1

Various bars have cans of soft drinks available--we were able to get them at the Sun Club bar, Sip, the bar by the Social Club, etc. Some will only give you one, but most are more generous. But, as above, Sailor Eats will also deliver cans of your choice.

The above comment is funny--on Valiant, I had my ice tea served with lime because they claimed to not have any lemons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warmwinds said:

Do they have things like Rose's Lime Juice, we usually use Grand Marnier at home but maybe Triple Sec (or just Margarita Mix?).  Trying to make Margaritas.

Our MRS agent kept us well stocked with simple syrup and bitters. It might be worth asking your agent or a bartender for some margarita mix. There is really limited countertop space, I recommend keeping it simple. 

5 hours ago, Fogcityca13 said:

Our MRS agent kept us well stocked with simple syrup and bitters. It might be worth asking your agent or a bartender for some margarita mix. There is really limited countertop space, I recommend keeping it simple. 

And no sink nearby… we kept a little shot glass of simple on the shelf for a day or so but the whole bar and all our barware was so freaking sticky!

59 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Can anyone name any of the brands of the lousy wine?   Or are they house branded?  

Ryder? Maybe something worse? Rose was tolerable when ice cold out of the fridge, white was a somehow a sweet and over Oaked sauv blanc, and the cab tasted like wood chips.  I’m all for a cheap wine every now and then but dear god that was bad.

9 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

Ryder? Maybe something worse? Rose was tolerable when ice cold out of the fridge, white was a somehow a sweet and over Oaked sauv blanc, and the cab tasted like wood chips.  I’m all for a cheap wine every now and then but dear god that was bad.

LOL I see a job in your future writing those blurbs on the backs of labels...wood chips, yum.  Never heard of Ryder but I'll take your word for it.  Thanks.  If anyone else had something different let me know.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

We were able to request fresh limes and lemons from our Rockstar agent.  

Thanks.  We'll figure out what we need/want.  Will try to keep in simple.  I'm used to cruises where you had a beverage package and didn't have to think, gotta figure out now about that $300 thing.  The mini bar will help.

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

Thanks.  We'll figure out what we need/want.  Will try to keep in simple.  I'm used to cruises where you had a beverage package and didn't have to think, gotta figure out now about that $300 thing.  The mini bar will help.

The bar tab is really nice.  You won't pay for any of the lemons, limes, coke, or other mixers at all.  The tab is for beverages that have a fee only-alcohol, smoothies, premium coffees/teas.  Unless you drink a lot, it comes out cheaper than the "beverage package" deal on other cruise lines where the package costs $80-130 per night of cruise and every adult in the cabin must buy it.  The tab, you pay $300 and get a bonus  of $50-125 based on the current offer  OR you booked during the free bar tab promotion.  Each time you purchase a charged beverage, the amount shown on the menu is deducted from the bar tab.  Drink prices on VV are very comparable to other lines, but already include the tip....so that $10 glass of wine will cost you $10, not $11.80.  You can share your bar tab with anyone you wish; is it not like the package where no one else can have a drink.  If you get to the last night of the cruise and still have money left on the tab, you can buy a round for your new best friends or buy a bottle of something to take home...BUT you must buy it from the bar to bill it to the bar tab, not from the duty free shop.

If/when you use up your bar tab, any additional purchases will be taken from you "loot" (onboard credit), and when that is used up, will be billed to your credit card on file.  You can check how much bar tab and how much loot you have left by using the app any time after boarding.

You are not limited to purchasing a single $300 bar tab....you can buy as many as you wish and the bonus will be added to each one you purchase.  There is no bonus added to the free tab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve ran the numbers for our RCCL drink package, with coffee, wine, and cocktails we spend +-$70pp per day. Drink prices are pretty similar to RCCL and you don’t have an 18% gratuity added to the cost of the package. I figure $120 per day and buy enough bar tabs to come close to that number. Our 8 day in December I figured we’ll need around $960, already have one bar tab purchased ($300 + $100 bonus). I plan on buying one more if the $100 bonus sale comes up again. The way I see it is, I’ve prepaid the majority of my drinks, I got $200 in free drinks, and I don’t have to worry about hitting x number of drinks per day. 

• Like 1

Exactly!  And if you spend the $960, you will have paid $760 + the bonuses... not a bad deal.  Most cruise line alcohol packages are well above $70 per day!  Also, if they extend the Deep Blue and you qualify, you'll get $10 per day at The Grounds Club at no charge.  VV also serves real brewed coffee at The Galley, not the junk made from syrup that some other lines have--again a saving if you don't want the fancy stuff.  Unless you drink a lot, the bar tab comes out as a better deal...for most people.  And if you are a very light drinker, get one bar tab or do it thru loot.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we didn't get a free one with our res, so where do you buy the first $300?  On board, before you sail, at the first bar you have a drink?

I don't think we have any OB credit, either....sheesh, maybe I didn't get as good a deal as I thought! 😄

46 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

I'm pretty sure we didn't get a free one with our res, so where do you buy the first $300?  On board, before you sail, at the first bar you have a drink?

I don't think we have any OB credit, either....sheesh, maybe I didn't get as good a deal as I thought! 😄

Bar tab must be bought the at least day before boarding to get the bonus. Cannot be sorted out on board at all. Once onboard you can just spend and it gets billed to your card on the last night like a hotel. 

3 hours ago, warmwinds said:

The current sale is $600 bar tab for cruises 7 days and over and $300 for 6 and under. I’ve started using a travel agent with VV, the booking process is frustrating. It might be worth calling sailor services or your TA, if you use one, and see if they can do for you.

The free bar tab is a relatively new deal.  You'll have to compare prices and see whether it is worth canceling and rebooking your cruise to get the bar tab deal.  Otherwise, to buy the bar tab, call your TA (if you used one) or VV Sailor Services Shoreside with your credit card number.  It must be added at least 24 hours before sailing.

As to loot...it comes with some promotions, almost always with rebookings on board.  In addition, you can get it by referring a "friend" to your same cruise.....you'll each get $50 if you link your bookings.  The think is that they don't really have to be a friend.  You can join a FB group for your cruise and meet people there.  You can only be referred once by someone else, but you can refer up to 16 people.  Again, this has to be done prior to embarkation.

20 hours ago, Fogcityca13 said:

I’ve ran the numbers for our RCCL drink package, with coffee, wine, and cocktails we spend +-$70pp per day. Drink prices are pretty similar to RCCL and you don’t have an 18% gratuity added to the cost of the package. I figure $120 per day and buy enough bar tabs to come close to that number. Our 8 day in December I figured we’ll need around $960, already have one bar tab purchased ($300 + $100 bonus). I plan on buying one more if the $100 bonus sale comes up again. The way I see it is, I’ve prepaid the majority of my drinks, I got $200 in free drinks, and I don’t have to worry about hitting x number of drinks per day. 

In my experience drinks are noticeably cheaper on VV than Royal even before you consider the gratuity. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, WheresWalter said:

You can take home whatever you don't use. I brought home four bottles of liquor and the wine. 🙂

That is good to know!I wanted to upgrade to the cheeky suite but alas it was sold out. I’m typically a makers mark gal for my old fashioned. 

6 hours ago, babycatsy said:

That is good to know!I wanted to upgrade to the cheeky suite but alas it was sold out. I’m typically a makers mark gal for my old fashioned. 

Cheeky Corner Suite is the first to go on most sailings. I've heard some TA's make a habit of holding them (they can do that for 30 days and repeat the process) as soon as bookings open so they can try selling them to their clients. 

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

Cheeky Corner Suite is the first to go on most sailings. I've heard some TA's make a habit of holding them (they can do that for 30 days and repeat the process) as soon as bookings open so they can try selling them to their clients. 

this is super annoying, and i've noticed the same (TA and group booking websites show full suite availability, but VV's shows sold out).  i wonder if VV will put a stop to this because a TON of suites in almost every category except massive have become vacant about a week before my last 3-4 voyages. 

yeah, they can get ancillary revenue via UG bids that go through, but you'd think they'd want the actual fare for those premium rooms! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _tacocat_ said:

this is super annoying, and i've noticed the same (TA and group booking websites show full suite availability, but VV's shows sold out).  i wonder if VV will put a stop to this because a TON of suites in almost every category except massive have become vacant about a week before my last 3-4 voyages. 

yeah, they can get ancillary revenue via UG bids that go through, but you'd think they'd want the actual fare for those premium rooms! 

Its really annoying. I have been sat waiting to book a suite as soon as they come on sale to book, and shock horror, they dont show. I think the sales people basically just go book them to hold direct booking people ransom. From a sailor perspective i think we can all agree it sucks BIG time. 

• Like 2