Question regarding using Celebrity Visa Cruise Points for a cruise discount?

AMCJavelin

We were looking at a Celebrity Summit Cruise to Bermuda and wanted to use cruise points to pay down the total cost.   Does anyone know if they just take the points  an pay down the balance from what you  see on the website or do they recalculate things so your points aren't worth as much?   Example Cruise for 2 inside cabin shows up at $1870 ish dollars after all discounts applied when I look at the website - So if I use 100,000 points for a $1000 discount on a cruise do they just take the 1000 off of the $1870 leaving me with a roughly $800 balance?   Or do they recalculate everything and eliminate all the current discounts  so that it will cost me more?   Thanks in advance.   I know it seems like a silly question but I want to make suer before I call to try and book,I just know that sometimes with points it always isn't as simple as what it looks and I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

I redeem points for cruise discounts rather than for extra OBC and here’s how I do it.  I booked the cruise and wait until final payment has been made. (I’m not sure if I would have to wait for that, I just always have.). Then I put in for the redemption and on my next credit card statement there is a credit for those points redeemed.  The cruise price doesn’t change and there is no recalculation.  

The reason I don’t redeem for onboard credit is based on this idea:  assuming that you are going to Cruises on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean again, you will want to build up more points and all spending on Celebrity give you bonus points. So rather than redeem for on-board credit, I redeem for the credit on my next statement.

You can redeem points for  payment anytime prior to final payment. However, after doing the transfer on the CC portal, you have to call X and speak with a rep to get this processed. The Visa portal doesn't work. But the X reps can see the amount that is to be credited. I recently cashed in 100,000 points and get an updated invoice showing the $1,000 credit reducing my final payment due by $1,000. 

We have a lot of Visa Card reward points and I’d like to redeem them. I have  an awful time logging in to that reward site.  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

0nly cruise we have booked now is fully paid.   Don’t need the OBC.  would probably book a cruise for later this year and use the points then.  

suggestions, please.

This is the phone # I use to reach the MyCruise Reward Team at Celebrity. 

900-760-0654 ext 3

They can look up your account and determine how many points you can cash in to pay down your cruise. They can make the transaction while you wait on the phone. Be sure to ask them to send you an updated invoice. I always ask to have them wait on the phone with me until the emailed invoice arrives. This way I can confirm everything is as it should be before hanging up.