Brining alcohol and water on board? Oosterdam in Buenos Aires?

JoieNsk

I am sure this question was asked multiple times.

But for some reason I can't find the info using the "search" feature.

And the info on HAL web-site is contradicting the info I found with Google.

Google tells me we can bring a bottle of wine with us. Google (and Cruise Critic info) says if you drink it in your cabin, there is no corkage fee. But HAL web-site says $20 corkage fee, with no distinction - if you drink it in your cabin or not.

Can somebody tell the true story - is there corkage fee for drinking own wine in the cabin?

Also - is it a bottle per a person, or bottle for cabin?

And we can also bring the water (in cartons or cans) - up to 6 pack? Again per person or per cabin?

Thank you very much in advance for all the info!

We sailed on HAL once before, but that was 3 years ago. I remember nothing about what was happening with wine! :))))

Edited by JoieNsk

Google search will bring multiple (old) pages with dated info. You will be charged $20 corkage per bottle of (reasonable amount of) wine brought onboard, no matter where you drink it. That is if you get "flagged" at security (or in luggage) and must proceed directly to the alcohol patrol table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

Google tells me we can bring a bottle of wine with us. Google (and Cruise Critic info) says if you drink it in your cabin, there is no corkage fee. But HAL web-site says $20 corkage fee, with no distinction - if you drink it in your cabin or not.

It's best to follow what HAL's passenger contract states and then hoping for the best but preparing for the worst ($20 corkage fee) when the time comes. I guess other options are that you check the wine into HAL's holding area and pick it back up after the cruise, or simply dumping/tossing the wine prior to embarkation.

• Thanks 1

The rule about one bottle of wine per person, free of corkage fee, for the cabin, is no more. 
The current rule is a 'reasonable' amount of wine (yes, vague) for which a corkage fee of $20/bottle is due for every bottle---regardless of where consumed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We were on the Westerdam Seattle to Sydney.  I brought 3 bottles on, no questions and opened in my room. Give the length, that seemed a reasonable amount. No corkage fee.  We are doing Oosterdam Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale in March and I will do same.  Additionally, a few of.the  ship tours specifically say for the vineyards they visit you can bring the bottles on without a corkage fee.  Probably a limited number.  

On 1/1/2023 at 8:27 PM, Mike07 said:

It's best to follow what HAL's passenger contract states and then hoping for the best but preparing for the worst ($20 corkage fee) when the time comes. I guess other options are that you check the wine into HAL's holding area and pick it back up after the cruise, or simply dumping/tossing the wine prior to embarkation.

The following is directly from HAL's website FAQ...

Can I bring alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard?

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests 21 years and older may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

Note: The policy continues, but no more about wine.

6 hours ago, Cruisegal1127 said:

We were on the Westerdam Seattle to Sydney.  I brought 3 bottles on, no questions and opened in my room. Give the length, that seemed a reasonable amount. No corkage fee.  We are doing Oosterdam Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale in March and I will do same.  Additionally, a few of.the  ship tours specifically say for the vineyards they visit you can bring the bottles on without a corkage fee.  Probably a limited number.  

Was your Westerdam cruise after the wine policy change in June 2021?  If yes, then you got lucky and they basically saved you $60 in mandatory corkage fee.  Regarding the wine you can bring on from a vineyard, that's specified as permitted in their excursion exemption quoted above in Post 6.

10 hours ago, seeriteR said:

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

This worked great for us last year on the Oosterdam during our Greek cruise. We visited local wineries on a couple of shore excursions. However, on one tour we brought back onboard 3 bottles, and nothing was said so we enjoyed them on the cruise.

Edited by terrydtx