International phone

On 1/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, teacherman said:

We have ATT.  We have a "plan" where we also pay $10 per day when we use our phone in a foreign country.     Then we use calling, data, etc just like at home.  

Same here, used it all over Europe with no issues and Mexico is included in our plan.  Cruising in Caribbean we just use WiFI on the ship and cellular on land.  But on land we have never accepted the charges and therefore have never been charged (turn off Data roaming).  We figure if we have to use it during a short port stop then the cost isn't a big deal as something bad happened.    

2 hours ago, TheMiz said:

This is only a problem on the ship, when we are at a port and I have wifi I can call and text 

I was not alone with this, our group of 8 none would work on our TA ( April- May ) to Spain on the Wonder of the Seas

Must be a TA thing because WiFi calling worked on the Wonder for our Thanksgiving week cruise.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, klfrodo said:

That's what I do except I use Skyroam. No need to connect to free (unsecured) wifi hotspots.

Solis WiFi Hotspot | Stay Connected – soliswifi

I'm a Canadian, and will be going on an Alaskan cruise. I want to have my own secured wifi while at the ports for wifi calling, texting, perhaps a bit of streaming. Wondering what's your experience with using Solis in general, e.g., quick and easy to connect, lag, etc. Thank you.

I have T-Mobile and am able to use my phone for texting and phone calls in the Caribbean (have used it in 15 places and it works), Mexico (used it in 4 places and it works) and Canada (never tried it here but my plan says I can).

It also works in Europe, no special SIM card needed. I used it in both Italy and France a couple months ago for texting and internet (email and web searching, Google maps etc) with zero issues. Phone calls worked as long as I was connected to wifi, but I did try using it once when I wasn't connected to wifi and the call wouldn't go through. That may have had more to do with the way my phone was set up. 

But I did not need any special SIM card, I didn't need an international phone and I didn't need to change my phone plan, I didn't need a pocket wifi etc. It just works the way it is. I also have an iPhone. Not sure if that matters.