Motril for the day from Cruise

mommyx2

4 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Hi

For Taxi in Motril

http://www.motril.es/index.php?id=1392

it is the official webpage from town hall.

It doesn't say too much except two different numbers to call

I do not know about fares... it said that within Motril, in 2016 it was just 4,5 euro, so I bet it will not be quite more expensive

Thank you so very much!  I have a question... how much money would you suggest to take on a 2 wk trip? Euros? US Dollars?  Just many questions to prepare for.... thank you again!

Do they tip in Europe? How much?

2 minutes ago, BDEM said:

Thank you so very much!  I have a question... how much money would you suggest to take on a 2 wk trip? Euros? US Dollars?  Just many questions to prepare for.... thank you again!

Search for how much money to bring and where to get it on this Forum and on the Italy forum.  Tons written there.  Clues: credit cards and ATMs.

No, you do not tip in Europe. Employees are paid fair wages, it is not a two tier system like in the US. Rounding up the bill is ok, like 9.50 to 10.  Or leaving the change on the table after a coffee.  Also, lots written on that on the Italy forum.

3 minutes ago, BDEM said:

About money, tipping and other issues, I suggest you to read these posts I wrote some weeks ago

but concerning your questions

- Credit cards are welcome in almost all sites. You will need few cash and ATM are in each corner. 

- Tipping isn't as usual in Europe as in USA. As an example I never tip on taxis and I am not a baddie. Reason is a taxi driver (or a waiter or...) has right to a salary without tips.... and it is considered "service is included in the price". So we tip only if the person has done "something special" for free. For instance, taxi driver speaks your language and give you some information, or he takes your baggage (without supplements) or... something in that way. If he doesn't, you just pay for service and everything it ok.

But... tipping, always, always in local currency (in this case euro). Just think about tipping in euro to a taxi driver where you live.

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Search for how much money to bring and where to get it on this Forum and on the Italy forum.  Tons written there.  Clues: credit cards and ATMs.

No, you do not tip in Europe. Employees are paid fair wages, it is not a two tier system like in the US. Rounding up the bill is ok, like 9.50 to 10.  Or leaving the change on the table after a coffee.  Also, lots written on that on the Italy forum.

I agree.... and this is not for Motril taxis but for the whole European Union....

Do not think on tipping a 15%.

If a taxi costs 23 euro and you tip 25 it is more than ok

About taxi in Motril

This page belongs to a taxi driver group in Motril

https://taximotril.com/

Phone number is 958 83 33 03

It says

4,50 euro minimal

0,95 euro/km  

1,00 supplement if leaving from the port

So about 9,5 euro port >> Hotel Granada

8,5 euro Hotel Granada >> Port

In addition, they say there's a 15% discount if you book a taxi 24 hours before from their webpage.

I am afraid, webpage is not translated to English but it is enough to click on "reserva ya" (book now) and you will find a form to apply.

And more....

If you wanna go to Granada and visit Alhambra palace

Taxi Motril - Granada, waiting three hours and Taxi Granada - Motril will cost 146 euro

He will drive to Alhambra entrance and will wait there for you

Up to 4 passengers. You can share with anyone.

I encourage it because it is most visited monument in Spain.

33 minutes ago, BDEM said:

Thank you so very much!  First time traveling abroad.. excited and nervous!

BDEM, be aware that should you decide to visit the Alhambra (the #1 attraction in Spain) it is essential to pre-book timed entry tickets as visitor numbers have a capped daily figure due to the millions who visit each year. It is not possible to arrive without a reservation and expect to enter.

As daily entrance tickets sell out, should you want any, book as soon as your date opens up on the booking system..

Posted (edited)

@BDEM

If you are looking for a romantic place, the Alhambra is it.

Here is a suggestion using Taxi Motril to go to the Alambra. Pay extra to wait 4 hours instead of 3. Tour at least the palace Nazaries (see post #11). Then go for lunch in the Hotel America right on the grounds of the Alhambra.

https://www.hotelamericagranada.com/en/restaurant/

Another option for lunch (and more upscale) is the Parador de Granada, right next to it and located in an old, beautiful convent.  

https://paradores.es/en/parador-de-granada

https://paradores.es/en/restaurant-el-almori-del-generalife-parador-de-granada

And here is a view of the Alhambra grounds including both hotels:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+América+(Granada)/@37.1757303,-3.5884437,265m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!3m8!1s0xd71fcb6f864f08b:0xf59baf78994893a2!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d37.1760334!4d-3.5883878!16s%2Fg%2F1tdglm3b?hl=en&entry=ttu

And, yes, you must buy admission tickets ASAP.

Edited by marazul

18 hours ago, edinburgher said:

BDEM, be aware that should you decide to visit the Alhambra (the #1 attraction in Spain) it is essential to pre-book timed entry tickets as visitor numbers have a capped daily figure due to the millions who visit each year. It is not possible to arrive without a reservation and expect to enter.

As daily entrance tickets sell out, should you want any, book as soon as your date opens up on the booking system..

I strongly agree

I wrote (some posts above) about where to buy tickets and... how to deal in case they are all sold out (it is still possible, not easy but still possible)

17 hours ago, marazul said:

@BDEM

Here is a suggestion using Taxi Motril to go to the Alambra. Pay extra to wait 4 hours instead of 3. Tour at least the palace Nazaries (see post #11). Then go for lunch in the Hotel America right on the grounds of the Alhambra.

Another option for lunch (and more upscale) is the Parador de Granada, right next to it and located in an old, beautiful convent.  

https://paradores.es/en/parador-de-granada

https://paradores.es/en/restaurant-el-almori-del-generalife-parador-de-granada

And here is a view of the Alhambra grounds including both hotels:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hotel+América+(Granada)/@37.1757303,-3.5884437,265m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!3m8!1s0xd71fcb6f864f08b:0xf59baf78994893a2!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d37.1760334!4d-3.5883878!16s%2Fg%2F1tdglm3b?hl=en&entry=ttu

And, yes, you must buy admission tickets ASAP.

This picture below is Parador de Granada spotted by me last Monday (have a look to the "P" logo in the ivy located in the right).

About "paradores" (it could be translated as "stoppers", a hotel where to have a stop).

They are a public luxurious hotels in Spain. First was opened in 1928. All of them are owned by the national government and all of them are located even in a historical site, even in a very scenic area, even in both.

In the case of Granada, some old houses INSIDE Alhambra palaces were updated (and upgraded) to have this new hotel.

They offer restaurants to non-guest (booking is compulsory!!!!).

They aren't Michelin three stars restaurants. They are just very elegant restaurants.

A full meal with wine shouldn't cost more than 50 euro.

It is not cheap but a plan about "taxi from Motril, Alhambra entrance and eating at Parador de Granada" sounds perfect. 

In each cruise you have some excursions as leisure, some as heritage and other as "top excursion". This could be one out of them

If you ask me.... 100 times before going from Motril to Granada than visiting Sagrada Familia in Barcelona

This is Parador de Granada entrance

IMG20240304135102.jpg.e37c55126a2af377df00208d3a2ff68f.jpg

and some pictures about Alhambra

IMG20240304121805.jpg.c1bd2bf12028f9e9d13033d604ad25e7.jpg

IMG20240304115324.jpg.cd6813a99526dda3e42291367dd52870.jpg

IMG20240304113656.thumb.jpg.10f3331aa6f5da582e0bc273fda0d057.jpg

I just come from visiting it last Monday

On 3/7/2024 at 10:39 PM, marazul said:

@BDEM A late lunch in Hotel America after visiting the Alahambra is pure romance.  We have often looked at the bedrooms that are visible from the hotel courtyard and wonder about the 'happenings' over the years 😉  We often imagine someone sitting in the shade with an old typewritter and a 'tinto de verano' struggling to write the novel that he feels is inside him.  It is a lovely place with wonderful atmosphere.

(ps forget pool and beach and loungers)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@BDEM A late lunch in Hotel America after visiting the Alahambra is pure romance.  We have often looked at the bedrooms that are visible from the hotel courtyard and wonder about the 'happenings' over the years 😉  We often imagine someone sitting in the shade with an old typewritter and a 'tinto de verano' struggling to write the novel that he feels is inside him.  It is a lovely place with wonderful atmosphere.

(ps forget pool and beach and loungers)

I so agree with you! The Costa del Sol is not the Caribbean. The very nice golf resort they are going to is not Sandals or the Club Med.  I am afraid @BDEM might be disappointed with a boring and not really "beach" experience for their anniversary. But, what do we know... My best wishes to them for a wonderful day whatever they decide.