I wonder what QE will be like in Aussie waters?

bazzaw

On 2/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, Aussieflyer said:

Off topic - We very rarely go down the coast but will do a bit of digging on the motel and restaurant. We went to Rockpool last September (one of the few places open on a Monday night) - it was pretty average though at least we didn't have a Neil Perry salad like on QF. If in Singapore I thoroughly recommend Odette (went there for the significant birthday last year) - superb 3 star Michelin. 

Back on topic -

Where is the new cruise you have booked? I have just sent a query to Silversea for a Muse cruise in December.

Definitely try to get to Sandbar. The food is amazing! Every dish is a work of art. The motel itself is comfortable but has a weird bathroom setup - shower and toilet in the bathroom but the handbasin is in the main room and is quite high. I'm average height and found teeth-cleaning a bit of a challenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andlep said:

How good is the wine on board? Do they have a good selection or should I bring my own and pay the corkage?

We don't drink a lot of wine - just a glass or two with meals. There was a small selection of wines by the glass but much more extensive list of bottles. Prices are all in $US and then 15% added. We had quite a pleasant shiraz (bottle over 2 nights) - form memory about $US40. I didn't have a really good look at the wine list but you should be able to find one on line somewhere to get an idea. 

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Definitely try to get to Sandbar. The food is amazing! Every dish is a work of art. The motel itself is comfortable but has a weird bathroom setup - shower and toilet in the bathroom but the handbasin is in the main room and is quite high. I'm average height and found teeth-cleaning a bit of a challenge.

I know nothing of the motel itself, other than I believe it had a refurbishment a while ago.  The restaurant is run independently, although I imagine breakfast would be served there, as is the norm with motel/hotel restaurants in country or coastal areas, unless the establishment is much grander.  I only know that the restaurant standard has been at this ultra high level for quite a few years now.  Foodies from Sydney are making the weekend coastal trek (a beautiful experience in itself) for a Sandbar dining experience.  Social media and word of mouth, I'm assuming.  You'd need to check, but I think it's only open a few days of the week (maybe Thurs-Sun?).  Don't quote me on that one.  It's such an expected gem.  We found it by chance, wanting to patronise local eateries, as we've had the pleasure and privilege of owning a coast house by the sea for many (too many!) decades.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

We don't drink a lot of wine - just a glass or two with meals. There was a small selection of wines by the glass but much more extensive list of bottles. Prices are all in $US and then 15% added. We had quite a pleasant shiraz (bottle over 2 nights) - form memory about $US40. I didn't have a really good look at the wine list but you should be able to find one on line somewhere to get an idea. 

I think an internet search brought up a wine list for us before we sailed.  Ditto here:  one bottle lasts us more than one evening, although we may have the second bottle opened for another small glass on the second evening.  We found a few Friuli/Slovenian pitot grigios that were outstanding, in the $40-$60 range.

Just now, Mareblu said:

I think an internet search brought up a wine list for us before we sailed.  Ditto here:  one bottle lasts us more than one evening, although we may have the second bottle opened for another small glass on the second evening.  We found a few Friuli/Slovenian pitot grigios that were outstanding, in the $40-$60 range.

Pinot grigios (typo🙄)

• Like 1

Back on topic😂:   Sorry we didn’t meet, bazzaw, but hope you enjoyed the cruise.  Hobart is so lovely, and the weather was perfect, except for a brief shower one day.  We particularly loved the tour we did in Burnie.  The countryside, thanks to nature’s gift of rich, volcanic soil, is breathtakingly beautiful, and the variety of crops grown is amazing.  The swaying opium poppies seem to tell their own story as they spill down the rolling hills.  The security around their cultivation is so interesting.  We loved our first Cunard experience, and found life aboard QE relaxing and enjoyable.

• Like 1